let there be a miracle,remove truebox.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by mark, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Plaster78 New Member

Dear mark,

While there are arguments against truebox, I think relaxed truebox is an excellent solution. Truebox absolutely reduces the number of abusive box armies. Just because some of them can bypass the protection using hacks does not mean it is trivial to bypass and that anyone willing to break the TOS can do whatever they want. I think truebox stops 95% of the bad apples and the fact of the matter is you can't stop them all no matter what. That does not mean it's a good idea to open the floodgates. You can box with multiple PCs if you really want to, and once the instance stuff starts, then lets go ahead and let people do what they want. But opening up the early expansions to abuse by a certain 3rd party program is a bad idea as we saw with ragefire, and that's what it'd look like. That's coming from someone who likes boxing. It'd be a disaster.

As for random / increased loot, there is a server for that. I get that it's not in the golden age or EQ anymore, but you're going to have to wait until next year.

I think that classic to velious (maybe up to PoP) can and should be treated differently from the rest of EQ. They really caught on to something with these TLPS. These early expansions are special, maybe somewhat because of the passion of those early devs, maybe somewhat by accident, maybe bolstered by nostalgia. But I feel that the rest of EQ...not so much. There's a reason EQ2, Vanguard, etc have failed...it's not easy to recreate that magic. Maybe no one knows how to anymore. So yeah, I get that argument that just playing on Mischief or Thornblade is not doing it for some people cuz its out of the best era. But you're going to have to wait until these servers run their course to get another. The random loot is all fine and dandy at first but it quickly goes to crap once you see what the end game boils down to, it's just not good. It becomes something too far from the special EQ we used to know. The one where you camp a monster for a special piece of loot instead of camping the weakest thing you can find for an easy roll of the dice. There are better games to play for that playstyle, EQ doesn't need to be like that too.
    Dragon Jockey likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

During Classic to PoP Trueboxing was perfectly adequate.

After PoP most raiders would not box on raids, it is hard to do it well wihout cheating & without messing up the raid, actual competent boxers who can box-raid are very few & far between.

Most of the boxers only boxed one other character only 1 or 2 went beyond that.

The vast majority of the boxing was outside of raids, farming augments, farming tradeskill items.

Farming AA was mostly done in organised groups of real players with maybe 1 box in there usually iwth 0.

I box-raided myself from GoD all the way up to SoF pretty much full time (BER/SHM) with a few days here & there where I boxed 3 - it was exhausting to do it at a high level. After SoF I largely avoided doing it as the raids grew increasingly complex.

In general most guilds would prefer to not have to rely on boxes at all, when they have to they will out of necessity not desire.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I would hate to disappoint :)
  4. mark Augur

my reasoning for wanting a boxing server and free trade and random loot its easier for the casual player to gear up most groups have a boxer or more in them,i would ban eanybotter warper afk player hacker and eanyone that used red macaroni quest.
  5. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Too much money to be made per transaction for the most recent gaming companies to remove the scammers.
  6. mark Augur

i would agree with you protius but then skuz or someone else will say i have no clue with what i am talking about.
  7. Plaster78 New Member

So mark, all your spamming of the forums boils down to you wanting the game to be easier? Don't you understand that what makes EQ special is that it's not braindead easy? That's why we're still playing. It's easy enough now a days. Too many Foster's with your shrimp on the barbie.
  8. jhaimes Lorekeeper

The exact same thing could be said about people whining about boxers....After all, this game is over 20 years old, it has all been done, found, looted, killed, camped and so on. Many people friends in game that they chat with but dont group with...Sounds like lots of people might just suck at boxing so they dont like it...to each their own. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone should do it your way. There is a reason why this game has survived for over 20 years and its not because everyone has one account they are allowed to play at a time...
  9. Hdizzle Augur

He's just asking for the arbitrary rule in place to stop evil boxers and krono selling robots (hows that going btw?:) Did it work? ) be lifted at classic. Its a QoL thing really.

The more reasonable request is like PoP when the next TLP opens.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you could have only one of those 3 (boxing, free trade or random loot) which would you choose?
  11. Manafasto Augur

I would take all race/class combo's at launch of a TLP starting at Classic.
  12. TheElusiveFox Journeyman

Eh not really, I've done a few of these TLPs now and Every major guild has at least a couple people who find a way to get around the true box limitation and six box or even 20+ box... all the true box limits do is make it a lot more of a pain for casual boxers who just want a healer or whatever around so they can farm content solo while LFG, or more often than not want a cleric or tank box around so they can keep their casual guild alive through slumps.

And as much as I see people constantly ask for a No boxes aloud server... the truth is it would die horribly... A duo box can go get a camp started, then put a group together as guildies log in, or people on /lfg appear... while for many classes (cleric, tanks, many melee), If you aren't playing with friends you might as well quit, since you will be /lfg for hours on end, until you likely get bored and just stop logging in.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

But that's why it works, the sum-total of boxers is reduced, and it's just inconvenient enough to put off the very casual boxers in an era where there are plenty of group opportunities.

Think of Truebox as a gentle prod encouraging players to go look for a group rather than be a "lazy casual boxer" who avoids other players just or only because they can.

Most gamers are loners not used to cooperative games, MMO gamers who really love groups are a rare species in the wider gaming population, it is hard to get them to play differently than how they usually do.
  14. mark Augur

15. Midnitewolf Augur

Yep.

Also I play this 20+ year old game on new TLPs because I want to actually play with people and have a social experience like back when I played Originals. There wasn't any boxing back then or very little. Nothing kills the game for me more than finding someone with a train of box'ed characters solo camping....well anywhere. That is just one less person that can and will group up in a game where your required to social to progress. Every time someone does that is that much longer I have to spend LFG. Hate it, Hate it, Hate it.