Leaving Phinny and re-rolling...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Adaman, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Adaman New Member

...on one of the other TLP servers. Trouble is, which one? Anyone on one of the orther servers can give me a heads up on population and guilds?

-thanks!
  2. bodes Augur

Ragefire and Lockjaw are the No Man's Sky of Everquest. It's possible to bump into other players but the odds of it are extremely low.
  3. Rumlebrag Elder

why do you wan't to leave Phinny?
  4. Adaman New Member

XP rate mostly. And I'm partial to dual-boxing.
  5. Zapsos Augur

6. Yaladorn Journeyman

I can't speak for Lockjaw, but the person above (Bodes, other replies came in while I was typing this :)) obviously doesn't play on Ragefire. On RF there are several raiding guilds raiding various levels of content on various schedules. There are also a bunch of casual/family style guilds if you're not looking to raid. The lower level toons aren't in abundance, but it's not like it's a server full of max level toons.

Maybe make yourself a toon on each server and check it out for 10 levels or so, see which one you like.
    Adonhiram and Adaman like this.
  7. Kutsuu Augur

My understanding is that Ragefire has a little higher population than Lockjaw. In either case, due to the lack of instances don't expect to be able to casually raid like you can on Phinigel.

If you happen to have a laptop or extra PC around, you could still box a second char on Phinigel. I have a cheap little Acer laptop that I bought for car tuning software which runs the game great and I box a second char with that.
  8. Adaman New Member

I tried that...but the XP creep is what REALLY keeps it from being enjoyable.
  9. bodes Augur

It was a joke. I didn't give him a serious response because the harsh truth is that if Phinny didn't work out for him then no TLP will.
  10. vardune Augur

I don't understand the need to level as fast as you can. EQ has some much content and so much gear to find and get the journey to max level is the fun part. You have months and months to hit max level and AAs are still a few months away. Even after Luclin releases you have 4.5 months to hit 60 and get some AAs. if you need to make money to buy some gear and tunnel quest farm low level trade mats, they are always needed and sell well. Travel around to dungeons specific to your level and ooc looking for group, be active. you can just stick up a flag and say lfg and except to get on, you have to work for it. Join a guild and group with guildies but don't leave Phinny it is by far and away the best TLP server. I have played on both Rage and Lock, Phinny is the better choice.
    Kutsuu likes this.
  11. Kutsuu Augur

It would only take a little mindset change to fix that issue. Pretty much all gamers at this point in time ONLY care about endgame, and feel like they should be able to rush to endgame in a short period of time or else the game is and they aren't having fun. Enjoying EQ in the early days was all about being able to smell the roses. If you could just enjoy where you're at and set small goals that are close instead of fixating on level 60 and Vulak gear, it would probably change things for you. While leveling up my monk over the past couple of months, I've had dozens of goals that got me through the grinding and none of them had to do with endgame. This "small goals" thing is especially easy with a caster since you get spells every level.
    vardune likes this.
  12. vardune Augur

Yes enjoy the journey. Not really enjoying the game is the issue, not the exp rate.
  13. Belit Lorekeeper

I have no idea what kind of modern logic this is ?!?
    Sounds like ... "if you don't like cats, you hate dogs for sure."

Dear OP,
    please find out about the harsh truth on RF or LJ yourself.
    There are several very good guilds on both Ragefire and Lockjaw.

You have Darkwind, Tempus, False Prophecy and Soluseks Lotus on RF. All have their own pace and balance between RL and progression. They have all nice and friendly people as I found out.

On Lockjaw you have Faceless Insanity and the very stable old DHS. There are some smaller guilds like Midnight Pyre.

Of course the concept of Phinny is really great ... once you are lvl 60.
    But I can assure you, both RF and LJ have a lot of really awesome players and enough lower levels (most are alts of existing lvl 60 raiders) to level up with.

Don't get missguided by salty people who have a good life on Phinny but made no career on the previous 2 TLPs
  14. DirkinEQ New Member

Speaking for Lockjaw, there are plenty of people around to find a good home for however you'd like to play. I won't say the population is fantastic, and during the daytime hours it can be kind of sparse. But you'll see plenty of people online during the evenings. As far as raiding goes there are at least 4 active guilds that raid and are killing things, spanning the more hardcore to casual spectrum.
  15. Xanadas Augur

Nice troll.

Ragefire population is fine. There are dozens of people in commons still. Granted it's down from the hundreds there once were - but give em a break, we're months into Velious and most people are taking a break until Luclin hits, then it'll be packed in the bazaar, no doubt.

Roll on ragefire is my recommendation. I have a 60s crew on lockjaw and ragefire, and I enjoy playing on ragefire more due to the higher population. It's really time for them to merge lockjaw and ragefire back into one server IMHO.
  16. AgentofChange Augur

[IMG]
    Tallor and Legerdar like this.
  17. snailish Augur

Vulak TLP is stuck at Seeds of Destruction (no active guild pushing it now to my knowledge).

I still login on occasion, maybe catch 3-5 others on during a peak time. My suggestion is don't restart there unless you basically want a server to yourself.
  18. bodes Augur

If he didn't enjoy the most popular/successful TLP offering the community has seen in a decade then he's not going to enjoy an older TLP variant. If he wants fast experience he's probably going to enjoy live servers better than Ragefire or Lockjaw.
  19. bodes Augur

20. Strawberry Augur

I can't speak for the OP, but that is not why I absolutely hated the slow XP and progression on phinny.

It has to do with the simple fact that you want to experience news spells, new abilities, new content, new zones, make an alt, etc. You want to experience new things and not be stuck in the same zone for weeks with the same spells.

On phinnni it felt like you were chained to the ground....it felt like you were constantly being dragged down, not allowed to progress to other zones or have fun making alts.

Soloing was pointless, you were forced to go to the same zones like everyone else, 90% of the server at your level was at Unrest and you were forced to go there too, because other zones gave even worse XP.

Unrest, ToFS, CoM, Velks...that's where 90% of the phinni population is day in day out because the Xp is so bad everywhere else...you know what?...it's boring as heck!

It has absolutely nothing to do with "endgame". The game on phinni, due to the slow progression, massive timesinks and constantly going to the same zem zones, was extremely boring.
  21. Silinius Augur

Lockjaw has a few active raiding guilds. On the high end / mid spectrum:

Faceless Insanity (my guild) raids Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri beginning around 8:30pm EST for 3-4 hours per night and has finished all endgame content and is currently face-rolling until Luclin.

DHS has an alternating raid schedule Mon/Wed/Fri one week and Tues/Thurs the following week. They have killed AoW but have yet to kill Vyemm, Lady N. or Vulak.

Both guilds have killed all four warders and are currently on a rotation with one other guild for ST.

On the more casual end of the spectrum, there is Midnight Phyre and Damage who have both killed KT and Statue and have farmed HoT and some of the mid-tier dragons (Zland, Kland etc.) but have been more focused on Kunark and entry level Velious content. Neither have done NTOV or taken shots at some of the harder content.

FI is currently looking for Clerics, Mages (mains only), Wizards, Shaman and maybe another Druid.

www.facelessinsanity.net

Good luck!