Learning languages on FV

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Gio-Cefalu, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Gio-Cefalu Augur

I recently transferred several characters over to FV, and I've had no problems maxing out their language skills using a spam key in group chat. I made a few heroic characters who also start off with decent (I think 50) skill in several of the languages, and I can again level up their language skills to level 100 with no problem.

My issue is with my new level 1 character I made for selling in the bazaar. Even though she has 5 skill points, none of the guild masters (she's a monk) in PoK will teach her any language skills at all. I researched variations of "learn languages on FV" both on my browser and these forums, and what I found was people saying to spam your skill higher or to go to your trainer as quickly as possible to learn new languages.

I've also just tried grouping her with another one of my characters in the same zone and spamming group chat for quite a while hoping it would at least give her a single point in the language so she could learn it, but that didn't work either.

I feel like such a newb. What am I missing here?
  2. MarttinPH Augur

The issue you might be having is that your low level character has probably close to or exactly base stats. I don't know which stats effect language learning (probably int or wis) but I know from experience that having them buffed as high as you can get it a huge plus.
    Best thing to do would place both characters in a group and spam a macro on both (once the monk gets at least one skill point), it will take awhile for a naked low level character.
  3. Visitor Augur

First thing is check that the noobie toon is getting the chat in an unknown language- i have noticed that if I do not make sure that the group chat box is in the target language that it goes in whatever is standard. Second see if you can get some int/wis on the runt, as it helps skill faster (even the free Festive Doll makes a difference).
  4. Gio-Cefalu Augur

Can you actually learn the base language skill just from group chat spamming?

I just don't understand why the trainer won't offer it to me even for 1 point.

Yes, it shows "unknown language" for anything other than Human Tongue.
  5. Visitor Augur

Some languages may be offered at level 1, am not sure, but, yes you can learn most languages from grp spam- exceptions alaran,
  6. Zinloz New Member

I believe level 20 is when your trainer will teach you all languages; the options are based on your race and level, but are removed at 20.

You can learn the first point of a language through spamming in group chat. Make sure the spammer has actually set the language to use to the language you want to learn. This is chat window/tab dependent. If you have say 2 windows, one for chat and one for combat spam, and the combat is set to Goblin but you want to learn Elvish, and you type into the combat window, you will learn Goblin.

You're honestly probably just not spamming as much as you think. Make a macro that uses all 5 lines and has 1 word on each line. Bind it to 1 on your hotbar or something, and rapidfire it as much as you can. You should see skillups very quickly, especially at the start of a new language.
  7. Gio-Cefalu Augur

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I was spamming it for a sufficient amount of time. I have a 5 line macro with full sentences on my regular toons that I was spamming in group chat in Elvish, and I'm confident it was on Elvish. I triple checked on my other boxes to confirm it was saying "in Elvish" in the group chat. I spammed that same chat button for about 5 minutes straight without a single skill-up, which made me think I couldn't learn my first point without going to a trainer first.

The one thing I hadn't thought of was equipping better gear for stats. For fun last night, I started running my character through the tutorial again, grabbing gear off of kobolds and quests. I could probably bazaar some twink gear, but it was a little more fun this way. I'm going to wait until my character is done with the tutorial with a mostly full set of gear and at a higher level (I'm guessing about lvl 12-14 when I finish the tutorial), and then I'll try it again.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
  8. Newbasaurus Journeyman

A possibility is you have multiple chat windows. When this is the case you have to either set the language in ALL of the chat windows to the same thing or some people have said if you have the always chat here option set, it's enough to set that one chat window. I've always made sure to set the language in all my chat windows to the same thing and have never had a problem with learning a language.
  9. Fluid Augur

I typically right click all my text windows and follow the menus down to language elvish just to make dead nuts sure everything going out is in Elvish. Right, you need a group but simple way is to just get the lowest cost Merc available if you have Elvish available from the language output right click. I think you only need one point. With a Merc I will make a macro on one of the 10 wide bars.
    Named maybe Spam
    /gsay hello world
    Goes up just fine under those conditions.
  10. Daimos5 Journeyman

This should not be an issue for a bazaar character. Make an elf and then you have the language