LDON - with points change, most efficient way to get points?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by jeskola, Aug 7, 2017.

1. jeskola pheerie

With the change to the LDON points system, what type of mission is the the most efficient to get points now? Is it still kill or collect?
  2. malaki Augur

Rescue is best, even better if you have a mage to CotH.
  3. -wycca Augur

The general consensus is that rescue tends to be faster than the others. There are some really huge maps in Miraguls & Guk though for example, so YMMV. You can speed up rescues quite a bit if you have a mage (bonus points for mage + rogue w/SoS, monk, or skilled kiter to really shorten it if you know what you're doing).

Normal LDoN's are pretty fast in time+ gear with focused players, it's not been too hard to keep the completion time in the 5-10min range. It's a bit slower with PUGs typically, but you get to meet some people and even then it's not too bad in my experience.
    snailish likes this.
  4. MaestroM Augur

Totally off topic. Are you and PathtoEternity and such making an Agnarr Kunark hype video?
  5. Nolrog Augur

That's what we've been doing. Regular rescue in Commons (headshot ranger, sometimes two). We haven't quite gotten down to 5-10 but we can get in the 15 range with one of the smaller maps (ones where we would have to clear more to get the prisoner to run.) We run the normal because we can get ~2 normal in the same time as 1 hard, and even though it ends up being less points (1 hard > 2 normals in points), we get more wins (for the charm upgrade).

The time/effort for the rescue is no more than the others (many times less) and the points are much more, so, IMO, there is no reason to do anything other than the rescue anymore.
  6. nostalgicfool Augur

Only got 2 ldon groups, in both cases it was a kill count. Sadly i don't thing i will ever get my ldon dot, curently very few people are running LDON missions.

Can you track the person to be rescued ?
  7. malaki Augur

rescue npc is up when the instance starts, but only becomes active after killing 20-30 mobs and it gives you an emote.
  8. jeskola pheerie

thanks all, exactly the info I was looking for heading into LDON.
  9. Adonhiram Augur

Hey guys, I know LDoNs only from live (long time ago), as Ragefire is not yet into the era, should be end of the month. What has changed in the point system as mentioned by the OP ?

I remember Collect missions to be the most effective, and Assassination or Rescue used to be the worst, mind explaining what changed since the old days ?
  10. Machentoo Augur

Can you get 100% win rate, every single time, using this method? I did kills because I wasn't sure, and they were fast enough.... ~15 min per when my wife and I were each 3 boxing. But I did wonder--I have a rogue, monk, mage and evaccer all in group and the combo of those seems to have all sorts of possibilities on rescues, but I'd rather spend a little more time and get 100% win rate. Have heard anecdotally that every once in a very long while rescue can bug out.
  11. Mithra Augur

When you hail the rescue guy he becomes like a charm pet, so he warps to your location if you get past ~300'. They only get 'scared' and don't move if there's NPCs within 5-10' of them.

Once active pretty much any class could train to the npc, hail it, train out and most of the time it will warp to you at zone in. Having bard/rogue/monk/mage support just makes this part a lot smoother.
  12. Nolrog Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...e-03-08-17-patch-notes-and-discussion.238890/

Adonhiram likes this.
  13. Beggly Augur

I never did enjoy fast placed Ldons. I kinda prefer to pokey along with a foraging character to get a lot of the foraged items. On the other hand, rushing does give significant rewards, so I've been known to do that as well. Looking forward to seeing some of the nice graphics of Ldons. I love some of the zones for the interesting scenery.
  14. -wycca Augur

The rescued npc can sometimes get stuck on the non-active spawns. Ie the activatable npcs/etc - ie hollow trees in tak, the animation thingies on the ground in miraguls, etc. What you do then is you have to open them or spawn the trap npcs, etc, and then the rescue NPC will then move. I'm not aware of any other issues nor have I observed other issues myself, and I've done probably 130 rescues at this point. My only fail was in a PUG when they got the wrong adventure & then decided to leave & re-get an adventure before I could stop them. I mean there are other bugs in LDoNs, especially some pathing in Guk, but nothing that would stop you from doing a rescue.

If you're a rogue you need to be aware that there's traps spread out to prevent you from just SoSing thru the dungeon. You can of course sense& disarm them if you take the time, sometimes you can just quickly hide/sneak after with no agro, and sometimes you just run to the rescue & escape. You cannot hail/activate the npc from SoS, and it will un-pet if you go SoS (or hide). You can, however, sneak and activate them.

Time-wise, I've found that if you have to clear on a longer map (ie no rog/fd class/trainer/etc) it can take longer than a kill or collect. On more friendly maps/spawns or with certain classes to help speed it up, you can usually shave 2-5min off easily, and sometimes far more. The best groups I've been in finish rescues in the 5-10min range - so fast that escape isn't up the next time I need it. If you're down a few ppl, un-optimal setup, box-heavy, pug, etc, it can sometimes be in the 10-15min range. I guess more potentially just depending if you have to plow on a big map. Regardless it's fairly fast and the normal rescue point score+time+wins is typically the most optimal pattern I've observed (possibly excepting for exp vs hards).
    Machentoo likes this.
  15. Brumans Augur

When it comes to the LDON aug, ESPECIALLY after nerfing the cheese method of doing it....

[IMG]
  16. -wycca Augur

People are so impatient nowadays. They want everything NOW.

The LDoN aug, much like BiC, isn't meant to be done in a single night, or even a week. It's meant to be a long-term reward and you just sorta keep working on it.

Along the way you get 1) a ton of LDoN points, 2) some other augs/gear, 3) some AA/exp, and 4) some plat & tribute/baz items. It's really isn't a big deal when LDoN is out to do 5-20+ missions a night (depending on group and how long you go at it). The end reward after 360 of them is the best charm aug in the game for like 9-10 expansions. That's a pretty amazing and long-lasting reward, and it makes complete sense to me that it might take longer than a couple of nights or even a week. I'm not sure I would have gone with the 360 number personally or whatever (I personally think 50 in each would have been fine), but it's also not the only reward you get from doing them. Hell, nowadays, you can buy the LDoN spells with excess points and list them for plat. It's really not the worst reward scheme ever....but if you don't want to do it and don't value anything rewarding from LDoN while achieving it, then yea, sure, don't put in the effort. /shrug
  17. Machentoo Augur

You can't get that best in slot charm aug by not playing. There are only a tiny number of better options until after Underfoot will launch on Phinny, and certainly not enough to go around for any major raid guild even with massive splitting. Anyone who wants to max stats needs to do ldon, even if it takes a while.
  18. malaki Augur

Also the points you accumulate can get you augments for almost every slot, and most classes can't fill out all the slots on raids. The XP isn't totally horrid and the items that drop are decent tribute. I mean I get it, the game is pretty trivial at this point, but not doing LDoNs is actively choosing to have a weaker character.
    Machentoo likes this.
  19. Adonhiram Augur

20. Bewts Augur

Assuming time gear and subsequent expansion raid gear; the only real purpose of doing LDoN is for the augment.

Points may fill out a few hard to obtain things (like the dodge mod); but once you're running Slot 8 items in nearly every slot; much of if not everything you can buy with points is no longer useable (because it's the wrong slot for the gear you wear).

Those not in Time+ gear; points earned and items obtained aren't going to bridge gear gaps for you or; really make content any "easier" for you.

But for the OP; I'd expect the fastest way for points is going to be a group that can take advantage of rescues that are simplified where pathing issues cause the NPC to warp onto you (and therefore the exit) in quick fashion. Of course if you're worried about points you probably aren't going to employ that strategy.

So; just keep doing your thing. You'll amass plenty of useless points completing the 300 or so requisite missions to fill out the Adventurer's Charm anyways.