Layoffs at Daybreak

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Herf, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herf Augur

News from Gamasutra.com
    "H1Z1 developer Daybreak Games has laid off a portion of its workforce, cutting jobs across various departments within the studio in the process.

"Daybreak confirmed the layoffs had occurred in a statement given to Gamasutra, although the company didn't elaborate on the full extent of the layoffs.

"Early reports from former Daybreak President John Smedley on Twitter suggest that the number is estimated to be around 70. "
  2. Herf Augur

Nice move, announced on a Friday, just a couple weeks from Xmas.
  3. That0neguy Augur

most companies lay people off on fridays....
  4. Herf Augur

Yep, to avoid workplace violence.
    Pirlo likes this.
  5. Spayce Augur

Perhaps if they actually fixed their issues with updates they wouldn’t lose customers and could afford to pay employees.

Maybe they could actually address issues on the TLP servers responsible for making them money instead of ignoring all the issues that drive players away.
    Pirlo likes this.
  6. Sinzz-Wickedley Lorekeeper

most likely the expansion force that was needed to push out this years expac ?
  7. Herf Augur

Knowing a bit about how game companies work, I wouldn't be surprised if they laid off part/all of the team that just delivered the latest EQ expansion :(
    Pirlo likes this.
  8. Crayon123 Augur

I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole EQ franchise sunset soon. As heartbreaking as that would be.
    Pirlo likes this.
  9. MaxTheLion Augur

10. snailish Augur

I wouldn't be surprised if it has nothing to do with EQ or EQ2 employees.
  11. Baldur Augur

12. Machentoo Augur

I like how most in this thread think that this revolves around EQ, problems with EQ, the current EQ expansion.

EQ is a small drop in the Daybreak bucket. Even the article quoted in the OP described Daybreak as the "H1Z1 developer" and now it seems the layoffs weren't even related to H1Z1.
  13. Xeris Augur

I'm guessing EQ is such a small part of the company, and likely not very cost intensive.
  14. RandomStrategy Augur

For real, and be honest Prathun if you read this. EQ id such a small part of DBG the servers are stored in the bathrooms propping up the broken paper towel racks.
    Thewiz likes this.
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

It is always extremely difficult to lose our friends and colleagues. Each one was dedicated and doing great work, and will be extraordinarily missed.

Daybreak remains dedicated to EQ, and our plans for the game have not changed. Please have patience with us while we direct our attention to making sure those laid off land on their feet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.