Lark #1: The Toll Road

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by quakedragon, Jun 27, 2021.

1. quakedragon Augur

So I went into this,
    I gotta say, Step #4:
    - Defeat Shirik's constructed guardian 0/1

Didn't happen. Let me explain why.
    mob levels
    Feb 10 2015 at 10:13 AM
    Rating: Decent
    19 posts
    With three level 95 toons and their mercs I could not last a minute with the gargoyles (guardians). They are red to me so not sure what level they are. Can they be a different level when I get the same adventure again? I have not had much trouble completing the HA's to this point but have found this one and The Toll Road in Dead Hills very difficult on the first attempt.

Wanted: DPS
    Mar 24 2014 at 2:19 PM
    Rating: Decent
    Scholar
    [IMG]
    92 posts
    I attempted to 2-box the lvl 85 tuned version - War/Enc with healer/rogue mercs. I've had good success 2-boxing other HAs, but Shirik's Guardian put a stop to this one.
    He was red to me and hit fairly hard. Healbot actually kept up pretty well at first, which made me think I might have a chance. Unfortunately he's also sporting some ridiculous HPs. After a minute or two it became pretty clear I wasn't going to walk away from this one.

I don't think EQ developers read Allakhazam, so I wanted to share feedback on an HA.
    7 years later, YEP that Shirik`s Guardian is still OP, his HP barely moves and he hits not like a truck but like an airplane crash.
    Please adjust him accordingly. I can do other HA's fine, but this HA, he's not adjusted accordingly.

Thats just STEP 4, please look at the final step too, if STEP 4 is impossible, step 8 is probably worse.
    7 YEARS is enough time to have these guys toned down.

Thanks and Regards.

edit.
    Also, the HA quest giver, has a roamer roaming and they are OP as well, so its possible that you get sent by Clayton Teek, and upon loading screen into Neriak you're dead because of that OP roamer.

btw, I did way easier HA's than this one, they give better rewards too, so look at the rewards/difficulty as well.
    Please fix it.

Thanks and Regards.
    Stymie likes this.
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Notice that both those posts mention attempting to box the mission with either 2 or 3 characters + mercs? Not all HA's are created equal. Some are very easy to box your way through with a small crew. Some are tuned more for a group of actual players.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Neriak has always been a very tough zone iirc.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The HA in CoTF of which this is one are tuned for 5 group-geared level 100 Players and lower level versions are scaled down - that scaling-down process is somewhat imperfect due to the gear model used to tune the L100 versions and you can expect them to be more difficult than most content originally designed for your actual level.

The Neriak HA were also considerably harder than some other CoTF content - CoTF added HA in 2 waves the missions with a "I" in the achievments window are significantly easier than those marked with a "II" as the II were added later.

Tackling any missions with a group using multiple mercs (which are considerably weaker and stupider than a group geared player of a similar class) is something you should expect to be fairly difficult.

The guide shown on the link below is a good one to follow - you'll note that the mission you posted about is under the "II" so definitely amongst the harder missions to tackle.
    Stick to the "I" missions until you are level 100 & have at least some of the tier 2 gears visible slots at least (if you are F2P you cannot wear the tier 2 gear) once you are better geared the II missions will be within reach, but again, using multiple mercs will make it harder so you may need to either over-gear or over-level to beat them using mercs.And getting the level 100 Merc gear using your CoTF currency will help a ton.

I use multiple mercs when I box myself and had to repeat the I missions a lot to build up box gear & merc gear before tackling the II missions, and that was with J5 mercs - below J5 you are going to have a very bad time.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Progression_Through_Call_of_the_Forsaken
    Stymie likes this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Not sure what level your group is but you will run into many HA's that got "adjusted" slightly different than others back in 2018. And no one like any of those adjustments it seems.

The only recent adjustment they made that helped was to the one in TBM HA where the Exalted Guard Relph would one shot folks for over 100,000 - a lot like the death touch from the ones in Crypt HA. They fixed that so Relp is more reasonable now but still a challenge.

The Guardian one your having a problem with and the other one in Neriak with the floating library books are ones I skipped till a little higher level.

There are going to be many others that will seem overpowered to you as you find them but eventually you will be able to master all the HA's offered thru Teek.
  6. quakedragon Augur

Thanks for this reply, its helpful.
    So I was able to do Bixie Warfront Endless War a Tier 2, https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=7408
    many deaths because I didn't know I was going to be bouncing all over the place, doable.
    But the Neriak 4th gate, jeepers, I died a few times just zoning in and the roamer cleaning house with me while I'm still on loading screen. Then the construct, that guy is no joke. I didn't even thinking twice about trying after wiping. His HP was at like 96% and whole group dead, that means don't think just quit, lmao.

Thanks for tip of I and II HA's, I'll stop trying to do every HA teek gives and just do I's.
    Stymie likes this.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

You can hail Teek in PoK while invis, and also talk to the HA NPC in Neriak while invis.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  8. Stymie Pendragon

It can be frustrating when the challenge level of the old HA'S jump up in difficulty out of proportion to the other ones, especially Molo.

I get the design decisions at the time, but 5+ years later it's a hard pill to swallow. If they can't realistically be done without a real group you can be out of luck. That's why I spammed the Hayden HA's like so many others, but they stopped a lot of the gains after 100 in the last few years.

I think it's more or less what happens as old expansions are left behind when new ones come out, unfortunately. The devs tend to forget that new and returning people do old content for the 1st time on the live servers . I could be wrong of course, but it can just feel over-tuned

Recent expansions rely heavily on group missions for leveling while making the tried and true grind obsolete(ish). It really makes the barrier for entry/re-entry more difficult and more tedious than necessary in my opinion. As time goes on that level range only gets harder to pass.

I stopped at EOK, and from what I've read there is next to no reason to attempt to try to molo my way up to the herd at this point which is unfortunate. I hope they make a tuning pass at some point, but with so many TLP servers reaching live levels recently I can understand why that may not happen.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. quakedragon Augur

Ya, well this HA, the construct he doesn't do anything special he's just too powerful and beefy. When fighting other nameds some are doable and some are just WOW too much to handle.
    Crazy thing is Princess Honeywing is Tier I, https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=44083 can't kill
    But Firesting is Tier II, https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=44079 defeated him
    How is Firesting weaker than the construct, yet the construct drops nothing and Firesting drops good loot. Both are Tier II
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Be careful on the Brother Estle ones too cause there can be roamers like Shoon or Roon near him.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You don't mention your level, so not sure if your fighting it when it's "scaled down", because the scaled down versions often have hiccups where things don't scale right.

My experience with this HA is that I never did it til I was pretty much near the target level (i.e. if I wasn't level 100 when I tried it, I was very close), so was likely not facing a "scaled down" version.

I never found the construct particularly hard (this was done with DRU, ENC, MAG, tank, healer, caster mercs), and don't think I ever had any failures at that point. What always tripped me up was the last part where you get timed spawns of 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 mobs. I could never handle the 4 mob spawn with the tank merc. However, as a tip, if you have a way to evac, when you come back, the 4 mobs are no longer linked, and you can single pull/kill them.

Changed later to an SK in place of the chanter, and went with 2 melee mercs and a healer. Was way easier handling the spawns at the end, using a real player tank.
  12. quakedragon Augur

Yeah 80-85.

Nice to know.
    Thinking more in depth, it would be nice if they gave us QoL feature where say the ring has outlines if your invis and they can't see you, but if they can see you while your invis its a solid and no outlines. Something like that. So many NPCs, the good ones, ones that give tasks and all you need to do is hail for update, kind of difficult to remember 'can this dude see me or not while I'm invis'. I know about consider but be nice QoL just from a visual aspect, quick glance to see if the target ring is certain way.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, I've been asking for that for years. Total PITA when invising through a hostile area, and seriously, you want me to "con" every single mob as I move through, to see if they can see me? FUBAR.