Laptop Usage

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Kindarr, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Kindarr New Member

I have a question that I'm not really sure belongs here but since I'm unsure where else to ask I'll do so here. I have EQ installed on a portable hard drive which most of the time is connected to my personal desktop computer. If I choose to connect this drive to my work laptop and play EQ will this leave/install any files or "digital footprint" on the laptop? I doubt anyone would care, but I'd just as soon not have to explain to our IT department if/when they do maintenance on the machine. Thanks for any feedback!

-Kindarr
  2. BoomWalker Augur

Yes.

It will show up in the registry at least under MUICache as an application executed.

Also, if you open up the pdf files in the EverQuest folder (old manuals) it will be tracked under the Adobe Reader key as a recently opened file.

There are other areas it may show up as well...all in the registry. You could try to clean the registry but not sure it will be completely removed even that way....

It would just depend on if your IT department is going to look at that stuff to find out what you have been using the laptop for....

Ask your company what the usage policy is for the laptop. If it is issued to you for use...both personal and work...then perhaps playing EverQuest (or freecell, or surfing ESPN, etc.) would be fine during off hour times as long as it isn't a violation of any policies (, online gambling, etc.)

Some organizations issue laptops to employees to use 24/7 as needed for work...continuing education, etc. and expect it to be used for personal use when off the clock..within the company usage policies (again, etc.)
  3. Kindarr New Member

Thank you BoomWalker. That was exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the help.