Landmark and growing success of crafting/building games

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hilnur, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Well Landmark never released, so...

But seriously, it's a shame. I was looking back at my Imgur account--which I had forgotten about until recently--and realized the reason I made it was because of Landmark. My system was crap at the time and could barely run it, so my build attempts were weak, but I did get one shot of an AT-AT somebody built.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    MasterMagnus and KrakenReality like this.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Le sigh...bye bye Landmark
    [IMG]
    Svann2 likes this.
  3. Argu Lorekeeper

The way they did people on Landmark was just dirty. I mean people spent a ton of money expecting there to be a chance they were building something that would be in the next EQ game. Not only did that never happen but the game was completely shut down and all of that money people dropped was gone.
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. Cideral Lorekeeper

I had this exact same thought and was about to make a new post but then realized surely someone has said this? the supersuccessful crafting games all work on you placing pre-made parts. Landmark allowed you to build on a voxel level, much more freedom and precision.

Bring it back in a way that your local server isnt just randomly building but has a goal for you and say up to 8 other fellowship members to pursue, but be connected overall so that others can visit your world just like they could when landmark was alive.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Probably the best explanation I've seen.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I was one of those people. :(
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

So much potential was there in Landmark. It had 9 months as an actual game, where everybody there could sell creations for real world dollars, like we do in Player Studio.

EQNext and every attempt they made after EQ2 (there were many) were failed pipe dream vapor ware.

Make them fix EQ1, don't ever let them try and remake it.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Landmark and EQNext, both fine examples why you should avoid early access games like the plague.
    Koshk likes this.
  9. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I loved Landmark, I really enjoyed all the building options and aesthetics.
  10. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Let’s not forget Pantheon!
  11. Stymie Pendragon

They can be easy to forget, given the long pre-alpha timeline. Axl Rose had a similar situation that ultimately failed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Democracy

Your post prompted me to look into their progress since I last checked earlier this year. It's looking good, and they recently got over $2m in investment to keep the game moving forward.

Competition in the MMO space is a net positive for gamers in general, and I hope they actually release sometime in the next couple of years. If they don't, they may find themselves in a never ending iterative loop, much like Axl did.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

If they follow Axl Rose... Pantheon would be huge. LOL. The Not in this Lifetime tour is the 3rd highest grossing tour of all time.

Pantheon is more likely to follow the Duke Nukem Forever run.
    Stymie likes this.
  13. Stymie Pendragon

I'm watching a concert in Derby, UK from 2019 right now to see what it's all about. I last saw them on the Monsters of Rock tour with Metallica in the 90's.

Just like back then, the band is excellent, but Axl just doesn't have the pipes anymore. He sounds so weak and fake, but Slash is worth the ticket price everytime!

Sorry to derail the thread with my bad analogy. :cool: