Kudos to the Dev formalizing the Luck-lin vs. Loose-lin

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Metanis Bad Company

controversy by forever enshrining it in the speech of the Maiden's Eye slave mobs! I love it!
    Kalvenie, Qwalla, Zieri and 4 others like this.
  2. Riou EQResource

The trailer calls it the correct Luck Lin as well
  3. Trevor Elder

loo clin

like lunar loo nar
  4. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

And it is this simple
    Wdor and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  5. Scorneternity Is a Bad

You misspelled incorrect
    Veteran_BetaTester and Sancus like this.
  6. Kalvenie Elder

People don't say luck lin?
    I suppose, French derivation would be luc as in luke
    Wdor likes this.
  7. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

That's fine, but it's still wrong. I guess you can all be wrong together and smugly celebrate your wrongness.

Hey- can anyone remind me what you call those 10 shards you need for classic VT access? Was it .... perhaps.....

Lucid?

Wow, would you look at that- Loose-id. Who would have thought you don't pronounce a K sound where there is no K? Crazy!
    Lucere (Latin root word)
    Lucerne (in Switzerland)
    Elucidate
    Translucent
    Not a single K sound to be found.

The discussion is closed, enjoy being wrong.

Btw "gif" is pronounced like "gift" but without the T. That's why the peanut butter brand name uses a J, and people use a J to incorrectly spell out how they think it sounds. (No, the inventor doesn't get to tell me how English works, he only invented a type of image file container, not acronyms themselves.)
  8. Zarkdon Augur

Rebel against bad pronouciation choices!
  9. xcitng Augur

the devs have said it's pronounced luck-lin ... the quote below was my favorite response to this

ttobey, Developer
    Fenthen likes this.
  10. Maedhros High King

I mean, I agree that it is not Lucklin, but do me a favor and sound out the word Predicate. What sound does the C make?
    I could easily find dozens of examples where a C makes a K sound but thats too much work when one simple example will do.
  11. Maedhros High King

First of all, you're forgetting the actual correct pronunciation of Luke-Lyn.
    Secondly, I don't think Goranga npcs are exactly a final word on any pronunciation controversies in the English language, as they are literally based off a troglodyte.
    Thirdly, if anything, I would assert that the Goranga's chosen pronunciation is almost certainly the wrong way, based off their strength with language, and thusly we can eliminate Luck-Lin as a possible correct pronunciation.
    Wdor and MmmmBop like this.
  12. Kalvenie Elder

I'm happy to give you a run down of how word structure and letter combinations create phonics. All the examples you give are directly followed by a vowel. Vowels change consonant phonics, but particularly, C is shaped by preceding and succeeding vowels

Lu - cerne - the C is conjuct with the e
    Re Luc tance - the C is conjunct to the u

here are some other words to break down
    Words containing luc
    • translucent. Trans - Lu - Cent
    • glucosamine. Glu - Co - Samine
    • ineluctable. In-e-luc-ta-ble
    • radiolucent. ra-di-o-lu-cent
    • hallucinate. hal-lu-cin-ate
    • lucubration. lu-cu-bra-tion
    • lucubrating. -lu-cu-bratin
    • lucratively. lu-cra-tively
    • Fluctuational. Fluc-tu-a-tion-al
    • Reluctance. Re-luc-tance
    However, in saying this, LucLin is not a straight forward answer as to luc lin or lu clin. the difficulty is in the C pairing with the succeeding consonant, L. There's an argument to make that the CLIN sound is a valid phonic, with limited examples of uclin words... Muclin or Basonuclin suggesting either MUC LIN or BA SO NU CLIN...
    Closest other examples would be like in Euclidian which is EU CLID IAN or Nuclides which is Nu CLIDE,
    Svann2 and Nennius like this.
  13. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

Thanks, didn't read.

How do you pronounce this word?: Lucy
    How do you pronounce this word?: Lucky

English rules don't apply to everything, so you're out of luck (ha!) there. For example, you could say "i before e except after c" all day long but there are hundreds of words that don't care what you think and refuse to follow that rule.

Lucid (shards). Lucent. Lunar. Luclin. Loose-lin.
    The end.
  14. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

Predicate is not one of the root words or related words I listed. I could refute it anyway by pointing out the word "predacious".

This further supports "Loose-lin" as only dumb people can't figure out that Lucid (loose-id) shards come from Luclin (loose-lin).
  15. Elyssanda Bardbrain

or you just go with, Devs say it Luck-lin, and they are the ones who named it. You don't tell parents they can't name their kid how they want to.. or we wouldn't have ended up with the infamous La-a (lah dah sha pronunciation)
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Again for the people in the back row who didn't get the English lesson or were not paying attention when it was given to them.
    Rule of C:

The letter c is spoken as /s/ (or "soft c") before the letters e, i or y otherwise it is /c/ ("hard c")

That's why the word "Cycle" is a great example, the first C is "followed by e, i or y" so it is /S/ or soft c, the second C is not "followed by e, i or y" which is why it is a /c/ or hard c phonetically pronounced as k

And that is why "Lucid" has its /c/ spoken as an /s/ and yet Luclin has its /c/ spoken as a /c/ and why you should pronounce Luclin as "Luck-lin".

There are a few exceptions, particularly with words borrowed from other languages but the above rule is so prevalent it should never be ignored and words that do not follow this are the rare exceptions to it.

Although the "Rule of c" is generally reliable, this is English, so there are some exceptions. In the United States, they are relatively few. "Soccer" would be pronounced sokser if it followed the rule and "muscle" would be muskle. And in British English, you will encounter a few spellings like "sceptic" whereas in US English the spelling has been changed to "skeptic" to comport with the rule.

Also, to follow the rule we even add the letter "k" to words like picnic and panic when adding a suffix starting with "e," "i" or "y," so we have picnicking, panicked and panicky.

The "Rule of c" can also be useful for spelling because it is so reliable. It turns out that we generally use the letter "k" when the letter "c" won't work because of this rule.

Of course, language is always changing & evolving, if the "Luke-Lin" & "Loose-Lin" folks can convince enough others that the way they say it is better or more correct then eventually that would become the defacto correct way to say it, in light of the rule of C being so predominant however that would seem to be something that would need some very powerful changes in the rest of the language in order to accomodate that.
    Given a few decades or even centuries languages can change massively, some evolutionary biologists are given to the notion that for sapiens languages are the way our species has divergence when given our numbers we are otherwise remarkably similar when compared to other creatures.
    Fenthen, Kalvenie, Riou and 1 other person like this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Cup
    Card
    Cold
    Duct
    Decline
    Decant
    Because
    Soccer

And that's just a few, there are a whole lot more.
  18. Iven Antonius Bayle

The name of this city is written Luzern in german and pronouned with a hard Z instead of a soft S. The Z sound does not exist in the english language, but the TS in bats does come very close. Basically the english language is a simplified one which is also visible in the small number of words. This does indicate that english is a rather young language. I want to note that about 1,000-1,500 years ago the original / old population of the now so called district of the british and irish isles (great britain, scotland, ireland, wales, isle of man) did not speak english. Most if not all of them did speak gaelic, cymraeg, scots, nordic and other languages but not english. The origin of the english language is rather unknown and based on speculations. This just as backround informations to realize why there are so many problems with the pronounciation of words that have their origin in other languages like latin when using the english language.

It is Lozärn [loˈtsæːrn] in the original swiss-german language The name origin of Lozärn / Lucerne is unknown. It could be from the latin lūcǐus = pike, as the city is located at a big lake with a river entry. This river does flow into the atlantic ocean.
  19. Kalvenie Elder

The examples you give are not exceptions. If you read the post, you'd note that c compounds with other consontants as well, and there are consonants that act as vowels in many instances, y being an example of a consontant that is more often a vowel...

Lu-Cy and Luc-ky are still following the rules I set out in the post you seemingly didn't want to improve your knowledge with. Skuz's post is also worth a read if you want to understand the fascinating world of the letter C.

And from the examples you're finding to confirm your bias, maybe do some searching into the crazy history of the letter Y.
  20. Flatchy Court Jester

Some people would argue over the color of an orange. :rolleyes:
    Elyssanda and xcitng like this.