Kudos to Dev Discussion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Grymtongue, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Grymtongue New Member

Forgive me if this has been posted about lately but my (regrettably quick) search didn't find anything on the topic:

I know that most will think I am trying to curry favor with the Devs (mmmm curry), but as a subscription-lapsed forum lurker I was really impressed by some of the most recent Staff Posts on various threads about in-game mechanics. I was always really interested in the messy bits on the coding and scripting side of the game and these bits of information that the Devs have been engaging in are really fun to read. I don't remember when the Devs have ever adopted this behavior in the past but I really like it. Thank you developers and managers for participating in and devoting time to these discussions.

I know it takes vital time out of your day that could potentially be used in developing or fixing content but I wanted to reinforce that there is a population of gamers that love to know the reasons behind the inner workings of the games they play. I guess some people think that players having too much knowledge can sometimes hurt their enjoyment of the game but I believe there is also a large group of players than enjoy understanding the system. Obviously this can also lead to a lot of min-maxing but even that can be enjoyable to some players as long as other play styles can still be competitive.

Knowing a small bit of the history and just taking in the age of the game I expect that Everquest has had a lot of interesting gameplay and coding decisions over the years that could probably fill a college master's degree program. I have heard just slivers of information about the server ticks and scripting system not to mention the storage of data that, in a lot of ways, makes me happy I don't have to support the system. Of course, communication on issues can always better and they can't please everyone but I just wanted them to know that my time spent reading on the forums today put a little plus sign next to Everquest for me.

See you all at the next TLP!

Grymtongue
    Koadic
    Trips