Krono != paid Gold account

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by handleneeded, Jan 23, 2013.

1. handleneeded New Member

After activating a Krono I’ve noticed these differences from a paid Gold account:

1. Once the Krono time expires the account reverts back to the original account status. So, for example, if the Krono was activated on a Free account then it reverts back to Free with only 2 characters accessible (even if you created 8 characters while Krono was active). If it was a Silver account, then after the Krono expires the account can only access 4 characters. After a paid Gold account expires it reverts to a Silver account and all 8 characters are accessible.
    2. The Loyalty percentage isn’t affected by a Krono activation. If activated from a Free account, the percentage max is still 25%, Silver 50%. A paid Gold account allows the percentage to reach 100%.
    3. A Krono account does not receive 500SC a month, unlike a paid Gold account.

In summary SOE charges more for Krono than a paid membership and provides less.

There may be more differences, but these are the ones I’ve noticed.
  2. Notinterested Augur

The only way to get the 500sc is through recurring sub (except the bonus from Wal-Mart cards) and I thought it was the same with loyalty?

If you're buying krono to use on your own account you clearly don't get the point of krono.
  3. Nolrog Augur

1) I'm not sure of the point. Why wouldn't the account revert back to its previous state after the Krono expires? How do you know this? Krono just came out a few days ago, so any consumed would not have expired yet. Was there any grandfathering conditions in place for the gold to silver retaining 8 character slots?

2) since this is gold, I agree that it should be allowed to reach 100%

3) The 500 bonus SC is only for recurring subscriptions. A Krono wouldn't meet this.
  4. Axxius Augur

What IS the point of Krono? I keep forgetting it. :confused:
  5. strongbus Augur

its a way for soe to get into the plat selling stuff. you pay 17.99 to get the krono then can sell it for form 250k-1million(price range on bert atm). That and it lets people help out friends and other in game who can't afford to keep their accounts gold. case in point i have a friend who plays on another server who just lost his job. his internet is part of his rent so he keep that going. but has to cut back on other bills but hes got a lot of pp he can now use the pp to buy krono to keep his account gold till he finds another job.
  6. Leerah Augur

Thank you, point #1 just saved me 250K pp.
  7. Rouan Augur

Except you made sure your account would be ending after the Krono ran it's course. So of course no 500 free SC. Your account was not renewing.
  8. Notinterested Augur

I would also like an answer to how he knows what the account wool revert back to. Krono has not been out 30 days so please explain.
  9. Paradisic_parasite Elder

So if you have an active recurring monthly sub and use a krono the next payment just gets pushed back 30 days?
    Once the krono expires it will revert back to a monthly recurring automatically?
  10. Mardy Augur

Correct, this works also with a soe all access pass, it'll extend it for 30 days for each krono consumed, so you won't get charged until those days are used up.

People should not be buying kronos to use for themselves, it's not what they are designed for. You get much cheaper pricing through monthly subscription if you are looking to spend the money on subscription. However, kronos allow you to spend ingame plat to purchase them from other players, potentially getting great deals. Kronos also allow you to purchase plat ingame, by buying a krono, and selling them to someone else that would like to use them for subscription time.

In essence SOE found a way to legally sell plat ingame, which isn't a bad idea because for someone returning or starting out, a chunk of plat will be very helpful. All they would have to do is to purchase a krono from SOE, and sell it to players. This also allows players to potentially get a great deal out of spending their ingame plat. You might find someone that wants plat quickly, in a hurry for whatever reasons, you could sell kronos to those players and possibly get a great deal. It's an ingame currency that's run by the players, so you could also barter to sell kronos for plat + items.

I have to say I like the design, this feature is already in many other MMO's and have proven to work pretty well. SOE won't have to worry about people playing the system because to them, no matter how cheap you could buy kronos for from other players, someone, somewhere, paid for those kronos. So to them, it doesn't matter if you got some sick deals and able to pay for your accounts for cheap. Because someone bought those kronos for $18 already. They sure have learned from their sc for subscription mistake.
    anthraciteMT likes this.
  11. Toquillaw Augur

Well, unless you are on the station pass (multiple games activated) in which case the Krono is less per month. Even better, buying a Krono in game and applying it to an account which is on the station pass system.

And, SOE needs to make a Krono card to buy at Walmart with the 500 points. Buy card, get 500 points ($5 worth) plus a Krono to sell in game. All the more reason for people to buy the Kronos and sell (or use themselves).
  12. Mardy Augur

I'm on the station pass, but kronos are only cheaper if you are on a monthly all access pass subscription. If you do 3, 6, or more months, kronos are not cheaper. Although right now I'm on a 3 month plan and have gotten many kronos via ingame plat, which will allow me to extend that. But see I'm not buying kronos from soe to use on myself, I bought them using ingame plat.

If you are indeed on soe all access pass, that means you play more than 1 soe games and you likely will play longer than a month anyway, best go for the longer plan and save yourself some money. That or use ingame plat and buy them, trade people plat & items for the kronos.

It's a good system, makes everybody happy. And players get to control how much kronos go for in the games.
    anthraciteMT likes this.
  13. Talif Augur

Kronos have been available through EQ2 for a month or two. Could easily have used one up by now.
  14. Nolrog Augur

Yes, that's true. I didn't think of that.