Just a warning

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Vorlex, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Vorlex New Member

Don't expect to get anywhere in this game if you don't box. I just came back after a long time of not playing and every..single..zone that I've tried soloing in with a merc has been ruined by some dude and his 5 boxed alts following him around murdering EVERYTHING in the zone. Almost every time I've tried to get like one room to myself they come in and grab all the mobs and train them into me. No this wasn't an isolated event. This was pretty much every zone I have tried leveling in. Just warning people planning on giving the game a shot again. Don't expect to get anywhere without boxing.
    Delphwind likes this.
  2. moogs Augur

Are you playing on a TLP server? It's a different experience on the normal Live servers.
  3. Vorlex New Member

Was playing on Live.
  4. moogs Augur

Was it a current hot zone? Details.
  5. High Voltage Augur

Server? Zones? Level?

I've never encountered something like that in years of playing. So the story would need some more details in order to convince me. This way it just looks like someone trolling "boxers".
  6. Aurastrider Augur

I think you are seeing an increased influx of high level characters in lower level zones due to the artisan's prize. I know over the last 6 months or so I have rolled up on a handful of people not realizing it. When this happens I immediately stop and kill the train I have created so the lower level player does not get caught in it. Once all is clear I send them a tell apologizing and asking them what area they want to claim so I can avoid disrupting their game play. If what I am after is in their area I will usually just move onto another zone and ask them to send me a tell when they are done so I can come back. Its more important to me that we retain players than looting a couple of pixilated items. My own gains are not more important than the overall health of the game and I hope the number of people that share this same perspective are greater than those who only care about their own personal gains at the expense of other players in game.

Usually a little communication goes a long ways on both sides also. I will offer up all rots to the lower level player which a lot of times is more than just gear but also vendor trash that they could easily make a decent amount of plat on for simply cleaning up my mess.
    Aaikan, Alekzandre, Venaki and 5 others like this.
  7. Talonthalis Elder

I agree with Aurastrider. Let them know what your doing and what you can handle. It sucks that you had a bad experience and I hope you give it another shot.
  8. Sakuraba Augur

My 64 Nec, 43 Wiz, and 34 Berserker would have to disagree with you TC, all on the same account and never really taken too well to boxing. A guild is, and this cannot be stressed enough, a massive boon to any returning player. Firiona Vie has an odd learning curve, but may be one of the servers most investing on in terms of lively guilds -- in fact, a lot of us in SoA have been kind of starting a pro-Grouping initiative it seems, and learning Elvish once in the guild is easy enough long as you can reach PoK.

The major thing for new/returning players to consider, honestly, is finding a class of a role they like and then getting in with a guild, not only does the social aspect keep you engaged, but it also makes finding the elusive a group a touch easier in most, if not all, cases.
  9. Geroblue Augur

I've gotten a ranger to 62 solo and molo when it came out. Got the toon to 65 with a healer merc.

I boxed other characters years ago. I stopped after 2 login game sessions. After that i either molo or solo.

No trains headed on my characters in years.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

With all the zones in EQ I am finding it odd that this 5 boxer follows only you to your zones. :rolleyes:
  11. Gnomeland Augur

The game does need to address the problem of having to mass kill in lower level zones in order to get trade skill drops. With not enough people playing at the lower levels these days, it's no longer an option to buy the drops, so you go and farm them yourself, which in turn makes for a worse experience for those few players who are playing.
    Andarriel likes this.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Hi TLP player trying to stir the pot.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yeah agree Tillain. There are 3 or 4 posters who are always saying "don't comeback" or "its not worth it because ..." or "don't expect cs to help with anything" Yet they continue to play and post on these forums. My thought is if you don't like the game then leave. No one needs your "warnings" to returning players just cause you don't like it.
    Geroblue likes this.
  14. Schazaam New Member

I just recently returned and have been boxing and also PLing some toons on FV. I've seen other people running around single and boxes also, but I haven't seen anything like this happen either. I've spent the majority of my time in Feerott the Dream and HoT lower floors though. The PLing I did was in Paludal Caverns because that's where I first went with my beastlord long long ago and PoF when my toon was old enough for there. I wonder what zones you were unlucky enough to be in to see this happen? Definitely hasn't been my experience so far.
  15. slayerofbats Augur

Sounds fake to me, I was level 63 before I saw another player. (excluding PoK).
    Alekzandre likes this.
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Yup, that is a true statement. Either box, or be happy with whatever scraps you get. This game has always been about finding a group or boxing. If you can't do the first and aren't willing to do the second, you're probably not going to have fun.

No point in complaining about the weather...
  17. eqzekisdead Augur

This game requires boxing. What is shocking to me is that daybreak thinks they can still charge $15 a month for this game per box.
    slayerofbats likes this.
  18. doah Augur

I had a similar experience when I first came back. I sent a tell to the guy PLing his alt and he went to another zone.
  19. Geroblue Augur

I've never boxed and I'm doing fine.
    Aetheryn, Alekzandre and CatsPaws like this.
  20. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Sounds like you are talking about Zek. Perhaps look into the server's ruleset first and complain after?
    Anyways, you cannot be farther from the truth really.
    The tutorial gives - especially compared to the old times - so much of a headstart in both gear and pp.
    The various starting areas are hardly ever visited and easily reachable - if you find your own starting city's starting area "swarmed by some dude and his 5boxed ALTs", make your presence known or move to another area if he turns out to be an . Multiple leveling paths make it easy to avoid "competition", especially pre-70's.

All in all, your post just gives no detail needed to take this as anything else but an unjustified rant. Sorry.
    Oh, and stop generalizing and jump to conclusions about "the game" based on your own - limited - experience. Other people, perhaps just more lucky or perhaps just less obnoxious, need not share the same fate as you, so even if your complaint had some merit (which it doesn't) you final conclusion were still far off the mark.

Having said that: Yes boxing helps - especially to overcome some "hunger levels" where mobs are hard for the level they have (e.g. mid 70s wher eXP slows down a lot, or mid 90s when solo). But "you won't get anywhere without boxing" is definitely wrong. dead wrong.
    Geroblue likes this.