June 21 Patch Status

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Plainbelly, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plainbelly New Member

Virtually every patch day we have the same "we don't know what we are doing and down time is extended." messages. If I did my job like this, I would be fired. We don't get any DBC for the inconvenience, our time doesn't get extended, no exp bonus, no extra rares. Just a lot of unknown time before we can play a game that we pay money to play. Just an idea, hire college grads instead of interns to run your software and hardware? I know that unknown things happen, but customer service? Compensate us for our time, how about 1 dbc for every minute that your down time goes over the expected? So, 5 hours over? that's 300 DBC to every PAID account in good standing! Just something guys.. I have one day off a week, and I generally sit waiting for you to figure out where to plug in the network cables..
  2. Tandy New Member

A+
    Koveras and FOGBANK like this.
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It's not every patch day. LOL. You obviously don't work in the IT industry and have any idea how things actually work.
  4. Ghostinthemachine Elder

18 years plus afew months of beta and I dont remember many times when compensation was given out for unforseen issues in patches....Hell even during Velious I remember the patch was a nightmare and in the end we were all just happy to be playing again....
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Now selling cheese.
  6. Harmare New Member

Let's be realistic here, overestimate your downtime and if you have to extend downtime please communicate with your customer base and provide us with more information than one tweet, and check in regularly. World of Warcraft servers are rarely down for maintenance and when they are the downtime is short, communication fast and relevant and the ETA's are correct. I know your job is tough, especially when everyone is grumpily waiting for you to finish your work but I think we would appreciate an XP bonus in light of the situation for those who have been waiting. (Implement XP Bonus's for the length of downtime whenever you go over the ETA.)
    FOGBANK and Xebrios like this.
  7. UndeadBob Journeyman

I have to agree with Plainbelly on this... I don't work in the IT industry and I probably have no real idea of how this patching thing actually works - but come on...

I have only been back for two months and this is the latest in a long line of EQ downtimes, both scheduled and unscheduled (there were at LEAST two unscheduleds that I am aware of and experienced).

One thing I do understand is how much money I am paying for a service that is being routinely denied to me. Would dbc be some kind of compensation? Yes, but tell you the truth, I'd rather just get what I'm paying for and play the game when I have time to...
  8. SonOfABiscuit Augur

I demand... a unicorn! And 17 kronos (because it's a nice round number).
    FOGBANK likes this.
  9. Xebrios New Member

Incredible that they still dont have the server up, i wish i got what I paid for.
    fuloph and Plainbelly like this.
  10. zoomzoomzoom New Member

I've worked in IT my entire career.

We deploy changes to a development environment and test them.
    Then to a user acceptance environment and BAs test.
    Then to a test environment and testers do their thing.
    Then to a parallel "live" environment where regression testing takes place.
    If and only if everything passes 100% do we then move changes to our production servers.

If you think this kind of thing is normal in the "IT Industry" you are very much mistaken. I, like the many others that make this statement, would be fired immediately if this happened on a semi regular basis at my job.
  11. Speathdell Journeyman

I agree with Plainbelly. I came back 3 month ago after a long break. On my server (AB) is always a high lag, there were a lot of serverdowns and the CS seems sometimes not very motivated. It seems that the money we pay here is not well invested for the players. And the patches are always so planned that european players lose a gameday.
    Mavi, Koveras and fuloph like this.
  12. Tandy New Member

Please share some of your vast knowledge on the IT industry since you seem to know it so well.
    Senek and Plainbelly like this.
  13. Tazz New Member

Sad but true seems like same ol song and dance every time they do a patch. Its very rare when a patch actually goes they way it should always delays and the like lol.
  14. Cogsley New Member

I just read your post to my Wife and she said "did you just write that??" I am living with the exact same frustration...1 day off a week and sitting here staring at "LOCKED" pretty much wrecks my plans for today...and might I also add that this sours me on DB customer service. Communication is key people.
  15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Zahel likes this.
  16. Makta Elder

I agree with the OP and many of the subsequent posters. DBG doesn't seem to understand one of the basic business truisms, regardless of the industry..."Underpromise and Overdeliver"!!!

Simply put, if you say/imply the downtime will be 5 hours and it actually takes 8 hours, then all you have accomplished is to honk off a large portion of your player base. Had you instead estimated the downtime to be 9 hours, and it actually took 8 hours, you are the hero to many...or at least no worse for wear to most of us.

Don't make a timeline you cannot keep, communicate as you encounter hiccups, and you will have a happy player base. It's not that hard boys and girls.
    Koveras, Klonn and Cogsley like this.
  17. Tanek New Member

I'd like an update as well. As a EU player, servers went down mid afternoon and working class bedtime is rapidly approaching.
    Krelian likes this.
  18. eliandra Elder

you cry for one day patch ? on antonius bayle we have lag problem during raid time on channels since christmas 2016 !!!! a dev answered mid june on post !!!! ld or 5 mins to zone in raid zone when using banner !!!! 15 to 30 sec when you send a tell to guildmate !!! imagine when you open a chest how to bid on items with this lag !!!
  19. Harmare New Member

No information in the 90 minutes it's been down past the five hours of original downtime, not one tweet. Think of all the things people get irate about waiting around 5 minutes for.... 90? Come on, it's my day off... at least inform us or look at your forums!
    fuloph likes this.
  20. Lennyn Elder

Go take a nap so you don't miss valuable play time. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.