I've Always Wondered (loot mechanic)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Morgoth, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Morgoth Elder

When an npc spawns, does he already have his loot on him? Or does his loot get assigned to him after he dies and is being looted?
  2. Endo Journeyman

Pretty sure it is populated when the mob spawns.

I base this on the fact that some named mobs you can see them equipping the item when the spawn. Trash mobs also.

Not sure if that is always the case though with all mobs/items/zones.

3. Jaylin Augur

Pretty sure years ago a dev confirmed that all npcs on spawning will have every item they will drop already on them. And it wont change unless the mob is respawned. Anguish for instance, all of the npcs when you zone in, will already have every piece of loot they will drop in that same instance already on them. If you started a new instance, the items would be shuffled. But they are already there. The Crushbone raid for example, you can see the weapons on him, and if you fail or leave the room he will despawn and respawn. You can manipulate his weapon drops because they can be seen. Chests work the same way, until the chest spawns the loot could be anything. I believe the only exception to this rule was the old trivial loot code, where items would all be on the npc, but if you didn't meet the criteria would disappear before you go to loot.
  4. Tobynn Augur

Some mobs can and do equip the items they are about to drop. In instances such as these, the loot is determined when the mob spawns. However, this is not universally applied. Often the loot a mob drops is not determined until the corpse is created.

Ever lose a raid chest? Instance crashed, whatever occurred, but the chest was never opened and now its just gone? CS won't provided loot that might have been inside. The chest was never opened, the chest corpse was never created, and so there is no record of any loot simply because the loot never came into existence.
    Leerah likes this.
  5. Feradach Augur

Jaylin is right. Items are on the critter/chest when it spawns.
  6. Potionless Elder

You also used to be able to see the shine from lightstones wisps were carrying.
  7. Qbert Gallifreyan

Some zones used to (probably still do) operate on a decaying loot timer. I recall needing a specific clay back in the day from Gorge of Xorbb, and spent a whole darn weekend just wandering around killing the mudmen one at a time in order. The item never dropped. When I went to kill just a few, the instant they spawned . . the item dropped about 100% of the time.
  8. Ellyra Augur

Most mobs have their loot on them when they spawn, but loot can be added to their treasure list at any point during the fight, or during death.
  9. Gragas Augur

Well that makes it clear as mud how it works, so simple answer RNG?
  10. Prathun Developer

99.9% of the time, an NPC has loot on it when it spawns. The situations where an NPC is seeded with an item during the fight or on death are extremely rare. Less muddy? ;)
    Ishtass likes this.
  11. Gragas Augur

Yes, thank you.
  12. artofnoise Augur

Any anecdotal examples?

If I spent some time thinking about it, I'm sure there are a few cases where it would be good to have those options when designing a raid/mission/encounter. If nothing else, it gives them some tools for preventing exploits, etc.
  13. Trajet D'Or Augur

Unmasked Changling and similar hotzone aug mechanics spawn loot during the fight. That would be one of the 0.1% of cases.
  14. Genadine Elder

Does this mean that the new Heroic Adventures will check the classes taking part when the Adventure begins and spawn loot according to the classes?
  15. Diptera Augur

When doing the original Coldain Shawl quest, one of the steps required looting Glowing Worm Bile, which also acted as a light source, so it was possible to identify if a mob was carrying one by the light it gave off (particularly if you hunted at night).
    Illusionist_Innania likes this.
  16. Khoza Augur

Some tasks require you to loot items from mobs, which don't drop unless you are on the correct step of the task. I... honestly can't recall any of them at the moment. I'll give that some thought and post one when I remember it. (Though it seems like Morell's Castle had one...)
  17. Saroc_Luclin Augur

You were probably alone in the zone; but that's how/why Disarm and Rogue Pickpocket skills would work. The mobs have all their items, and the rogue's Pickpocket skill would find a tradeable item on the mob and lift it away. (Hence how a rogue could pickpocket body parts off of the living NPC). Disarm would similarly remove a tradeable weapon and make it drop to the ground. (IIRC it used to work for no-trade weapons too, at which point the weapon would disappear. We got that changed because it was annoying to be fighting a mob with the Rare Weapon, only to have it be disarmed and losing it).
  18. Ragbert Elder

Can't recall a specific case but sometimes NPC can drop quest related drops when the people in the group are on that quest and other times not. These items are apparently added to the loot when the NPC dies.
  19. Gragas Augur

Evil Eyes in Xorbb for Partisan Task -Escape from the prison of King Xorbb- seem to drop more Vitreous lenses if you have more people in your group at that step of the task, maybe is one?
  20. iniari-TR Augur

should be mentioned that some loot wont drop if you allready have that item in your inventory.