It's obvious developers aren't listening, so why do we keep asking?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Noobnoob, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Zrender Augur

Exactly. Also, let's not forget that Blizzard refused to do a progression server for like 10 years and sued the player made ones into near non-existence before they then FINALLY copied EQ and made progression servers. The fact that they had the cash to recreate the client wasn't even the only big cash flex on that copying, they also went ahead and hired one of the original people involved in EQ's TLPs Holly Longdale. Though the "benefit" from that may have worked in reverse. ;-)
  2. Cideral Lorekeeper

I challenge the gaming company to perform a formal poll to see what the community actually wants. And one that's properly written, that isn't worded in a way that forces people to choose one specific thing and by voting for that thing, assuming they don't like certain other things (they did polls years ago that were written that way).

Issues I personally want to see polled include relaxed truebox, freetrade, random loot, triple loot, xp gain speed, unlock speed, guild halls and fellowships unlocking sooner, mercs sooner, etc. Input your own issues that you want to see formally polled to the community to see who has majority support and who doesn't.
    Metanis, Haak and Brontus like this.
  3. FranktheBank Augur

It's full potential was years ago. Get over it. Stop making new forum accts to post the same dumb things over and over.

Contrary to popular beliefs, opinions can be bad. Yours is an example.
  4. Machen New Member

The game has already grown to as much potential as it will ever realize. You could argue that it could have been even better back in 2003 or so, but the reality is that ship has sailed. Even getting back to the population levels the game had in 2003 is a pipe dream. TLP players are just dogs fighting over the scraps at this point.
  5. Brontus EQ Player Activist

EverQuest may have realized it's potential but the EverQuest franchise still has plenty of potential. We just need new owners who can see and realize that potential.
    Metanis likes this.
  6. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

TLP servers and their forums are all just a part of the never-ending cycle of derp. So it always has been, so it always will be.
  7. Nolrog Augur

And sometimes even if it's a good ide and something the devs agree with, it may turn out to be too time consuming to implement and not worth the time it would take.
    Iyacc and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  8. Metanis Bad Company

They don't even bother to use the integrated in-game polling feature. Why it's almost like they don't want to know things about their player's wishes. That kind of mind set has to come from the top down. Might also explain why EG7's stock has cratered. Only 14% of it's value from when the Daybreak purchase was announced. Although EQ is probably a net positive in that regard.
  9. Sethisto Elder

Everyone has a different idea of what kind of server they want. They don't have anyone to listen to.

You want a "Traditional server". What is that exactly? Just another boring Mangler clone? I know for a fact most of the people I've done these servers with wouldn't bother with that. After Selos and mischief, that sounds beyond boring.

And that's the issue. Some people find that appealing. Personally my dream server would be 1 month unlocks, selos XP, mischief random loot, FV free trade, all classes/races unlocked immediately, skip classic, combine LDON and PoP, combine OOW and DoN, ban boxing entirely. A lot of people are going to think I'm an idiot, just like if you split this off with your dream server you'd have 10 people calling you an idiot.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

In general yes, though I think Class-Balance in EQ is something of a red-herring, big glaring obviously Overpowered classes have been a feature of much of EQ's history. I mean when zerkers were overpowered they got their DPS pinned back fairly rapidly, Necromancers are enjoying theirs over a year later...

For sure.

I blame the players there for giving the devs so much positive reinforcement about the "revisits".

What I blame the Executive Team for is not resourcing the development team well enough to allow for the development of expansions more in line with the scale of Kunark, Velious, Luclin & PoP the most recent ones in particular are less than half expansions compared to those and that's not the fault of the Dev team, that blame rests entirely on the upper echelons of the company.

Of course the execs would probably argue that the population doesn't justify that expenditure, but that would be bollox because EQ is the most profitable game in the company, and we know that now.
  11. Arclyte Augur

the best thing a game dev can do is ignore their forums
  12. Overcast451 Augur

Well, to be fair - they did that for a long time when people were asking about the possibility of TLP servers - to which Sony at the time, just outright shot it down.

But then enter P99 - to prove it wasn't just possible, it was popular.
    I was on P99 until the first official TLP server, then I started there.

I'm sure some on TLP would be playing on Live servers if TLP didn't exist, but I wouldn't be.

So it's wise to at least hear what your customer base is saying, of course, that doesn't mean you can fulfill every request either.
    asdfbot likes this.
  13. Pizzanomicon Augur

I'm not generally in the position to giving the benefit of the doubt to the current EQ devs, but .... I think they do listen, except for things that are obviously outside of their scope of expertise, things like " cheating." Obviously in that area they should put their egos aside and bring in someone to consult.
  14. JustAnotherOpinion Augur

Vaniki & Yelinak = No free trade/No Random Loot

Daybreak is listening to a lot of us. :D
    Haak and Zrender like this.
  15. Neuro Elder

The devs listen. Often the answer is "No", however.

DPG is in this to make money. Sure, they'd like to make players happy as well, but if angering the players somehow generated more money in the long term, they'd do it.

Why would they make another Free Trade/Random Loot server? All that is going to do is siphon players away from Mischief/Thornblade. People like to talk about how they were these hugely successful servers that retained players well. Then why would they undermine that success by putting out another copy?

DPG is trying something new with Vaniki. You have to keep in mind that all new server "types" require coding to make them work. Any programmer will tell you, making basic changes is easy, but making OPTIONS is hard. Every single Live server runs the same code as the TLP servers. They could literally turn on any TLP option on a Live server, because they all have to run the same code. That means every change they make to incorporate a new TLP function has to be enabled as an Optional setting. Take LLP for example. Being able to add Level Locks had to be coded as an option in a file somewhere, then tested to make sure that option didn't bork all the other servers.

If this TLP isn't for you, skip it. Go play Elden Ring or something. Or some other game you enjoy; new ones keep coming out. And make your suggestions for the NEXT year, and make sure it's actually feasible. For example, a PvP server is never gonna work in it's current iteration. There just isn't the demand for it. Free Trade/Random Loot obviously works, but it already exists. A Boxing server already exists, no need to make a new one yet.
  16. asdfbot Lorekeeper

I'm with you on this one and in the current state, ill be skipping this year. WotLK is happening this year too :)
    Kharnage likes this.
  17. Brontus EQ Player Activist

It's far easier to say "NO" because it ensures the status quo. If they say "YES" then the devs have to expend resources to make that happen.
  18. Runes Augur

If you are going to post a troll thread at least have the gonads to use your main account. Last time I checked this game was not owned by a charity non profit, people asking for servers that are no krono, no store items that want the authentic experience don't understand that you wont have a game to play so stop asking for anything that hurts the Dev's bottom line that keeps these rickety and ancient doors open. There is no modern good game even that does not include store, sub or some kind of in game item or incentive for currency so why keep asking for EQ Devs to go without?
    JustAnotherOpinion likes this.
  19. Risiko Augur

I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than many of us realize.

Keep in mind that the financial reports showed that EverQuest makes a LOT of money. Not a little. Not a tad. Not just enough to get by. No. It makes a LOT of money. I'd bet my bottom dollar that the EverQuest IP is far from done.

Just from the perspective of their current offerings, EQ1 got moved to 64bit, and EQ2 is beta testing 64bit right now. Both current EverQuest games are going 64bit. You don't do that to a product that is on life support. That alone means there are big things coming for these games.

Beyond that, they tried to make EQ3 many times. The development started over more than once. They've gone through some overhead changes at the top and the IP has changed hands a couple times since then. That sort of thing causes plans to get delayed and rethought, so I can understand why the NEXT version of the EverQuest IP has not been announced yet.

Has the MMORPG industry been hit with failure after failure after failure over the past couple decades? Yes. Most MMOs have failed that have come out AFTER WoW made the genre look insanely profitable. That doesn't mean that the MMO genre is not profitable. It just means that a lot of companies threw tons of money at what they THOUGHT was a sure thing, and they failed. What EverQuest has going for it that those other companies' offerings didn't is 25 years of fans. The next iteration of EverQuest can be a WoW-level success, and for that reason, I can guarantee you there is a NEXT version in the works. There is no way their parent company wouldn't make that gamble on being the next WoW success story.

or... I could simply be wrong. Who knows.
    Overcast451 and Metanis like this.
  20. Haak Augur

A traditional server is what a company offers when they realize their product at it's peak had roughly 550K active subscribers and they've not even scratched the surface on that untapped potential. They can continue to offer crazier and crazier rulesets in a desperate attempt to please the same incesteous pool of players year-after-year, or they can throw out some 'traditional' nostalgia bait and entice some folks to return for their first TLP experience. In 2022, we're doing both, which may be the sweet spot.