Its 2021 Darkpaw, its long since time your game allowed folk of color to be represented.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ASDAprice, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASDAprice Lorekeeper

Am i missing an achievement that allows me to be a black human?

There are obviously black characters, namely the erudites, however thats the only option and if i want to play a character that even somewhat looks like myself then I am excluded from playing certain classes. if i want to play a human my only option is a very tan white guy!

I understand its a fantasy world but how come black people are not invited?
    Nennius, MasterMagnus and Tropi like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No achievement for that, and while it would be nice to have those options the character models we currently have are not able to be updated.

Maybe if we ever get new updated character models we would get some additional skin tone options for a few races such as the ones you would like, the thing to bear in mind is Norrath is not mean to be representative of our world but of another, fantasy world. I typically play Ogres or Trolls for example, never seen anyone who looks like that on Earth.

Erudites, the sole black-skinned race in EQ are in fact also Humans, albeit they are genetically separate now & possess superior intellects to Humans & both Humans & Erudites descended from Barbarians in EQ Lore, the original "Humans" of Norrath, created by Erollisi Marr if i recall correctly.

I mean I would love the option of an Ogre model that looks closer to the old ogres of lore, namely they had long hair in braids with skulls woven into it & olive green skin tone, and they also had Magi - despite the fact that the SoD Ogre city of Toskiraak never reflected that Pre-Rathe curse appearance, to my great disappointment.

In much of fantasy lore Gnomes, Dwarves & humans are also of dark skin tones, and of course the Dark Elves are dark blue to black in skin tone, then you have the Green Skins of Orcs & Goblins (alongside the original Ogres).

I'm sure thin & fat folks wouldn't mind some representation too without being pigeon holed to specific races so Erudites are not alone in this.
    Pikachuuu, minimind and MasterMagnus like this.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

The fact that it was built over 22 years ago is no excuse, also there were other models made later (Drakkin).

They had a slider for faces. But they all used the same tone skin.

Again not an excuse, but the way they built the models initially may have been a deterrent to them creating a skin tone slider. As you have to create more textures for that, exponentially more if each race can pick skin tones.

I'm with you though. In this day and age it sure would be cool of them to have the option.

**edit**
    darn you Skuz posting at the same time/just before me, and better!
    Skuz likes this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

To quote Flip Wilson.

In the days of the knights. After sundown.

Don't you think there must have been some Dark kNights?
  5. Leyfaellaen New Member

I definitely wouldn't be against new customization options.
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It would have to be you that ruins it.
  7. Desmona New Member

When are midgets going to represented? Halflings are taller than us I demand representation.
  8. jeskola pheerie

[IMG]
  9. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

Black skinned humans are the smartest in the game. Dark skinned elves are just behind and capable of playing nearly every race, and considered to be the meta race on TLPs. Midgets have a playable race. Even furries and whatever a furry who likes lizards would be (Scalies? Lizardies?) are represented. I'm actually having trouble finding a way Everquest isn't inclusive, especially for such an old game.
    Herf, minimind, Issk and 3 others like this.
  10. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

You make a good point Foaming.

But white skin makes up more than any other.

There are a number of items that show 'fake skin' as if the item was cut away. These items are not showing your character body underneath, they are showing fake white skin (for most races, blue skin for dark elves, etc.) on top (usually for cleavage. So they did have some good taste;) ).

Erudites were made last, and they have transparent bits on their default dress unlike any of the other default models. And although they could show the model beneath in some cases, all their stuff was fit into the same mold (fake skin).

"It truly would be a nightmare to fix now", is what the oracle predicts they'd say, sadly.
  11. KrakenReality Augur

Imagine still being upset about different skin colors in a fantasy game with playable lizards, frogs, and cats.
    Pikachuuu, Xanadas, acidic and 6 others like this.
  12. code-zero Augur

open client.ini in notepad

add this under [Defaults]
    StickFigures=1

Restart the game

all stick figures are red

Drakkin's are of course unaffected because they are the superior race
    Herf likes this.
  13. Truesh0t New Member

Wear sunglasses
  14. Metanis Bad Company

Assuming the OP is serious the solution is rather obvious. Start a GoFundMe project to pay DarkPaw to develop skin tone sliders for most races. If you can change your character's eye color why not your skin color? Besides, I always wanted a calico Vah Shir! The possibilities could be amazing!
  15. ayoforYayoh Augur

As a straight Caucasian male this infuriates me to no end that it isn't in game after all these years.
  16. Febb Augur

As someone who doesn't care, this doesn't bother me in the slightest.
  17. Triconix Augur

I guess you never walked into a Walmart before.
    Sheex, Thewiz, Herf and 8 others like this.
  18. KrakenReality Augur

Yeah, the classic Ogre model is pretty easy to find at Walmart.
    Silver-Crow, Herf and code-zero like this.
  19. Bullsnooze Augur

The thing is, 'race' in EQ is not like the debunked, but widely use 'scientific race' in the real world. As you keep using the term, 'black' it really is a very bleek way to describe yourself, but I know it's the real world norm - will always be cringe worthy in my book.

The problem lies in with skin color <|which does not equal|> race for humans, as there are many different groups of people from all over the world with dark skin tones and complexion. And, you have folks that look like me of deeply mixed ancestry where I'm more on the redder/darker tan side of the palette.

That said, I'd like my own skin palette too... Might as will get a melanin injector going for shaders Dark Paw. :)
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur

Between 2010 and 2019, the Latino share of the total U.S. population increased from 16% to 18%.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.