IT Safety with 3rd Party Programs (GamParse etc)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vastly, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vastly New Member

Something a lot of players do not realize is how common keyloggers are in MMO. A keylogger records your key inputs and transmits them to a malicious person who can then use them to steal your MMO accounts.

EQ has a number of third party tools that are commonly used along with it. One of the most popular is GamParse. Something people probably are not aware of is that on Coirnav, there were hacks of accounts done by keyloggers distributed with third party software. This is a real possibility with any software on your computer.

It is much more likely when the software is not from a major/trusted company, and is closed-source. Closed source software can contain anything in it, and while for-profit businesses will usually only offer closed source software, they have a disincentive to hack their own customers.

You should be very skeptical of closed source software offered for "free" by people on the internet.

This quora post can show you how to monitor malicious 3rd party software to make sure it is not keylogging you:
    https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-check-if-there-is-a-keylogger-in-your-computer
    Fanra and Thrillho like this.
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

1) There is no keylogger in GamParse.

2) I don't play on Coirnav.

3) GamParse is not "associated" with any guild. I've been in several guilds in the 15 years I've played EQ.

4) The people in that channel were saying NOT to dox other people. The thread on Reddit took that conversation totally out of context.

5) I've very concerned about user security, that's the reason it's closed source. Open Source is not a magical panacea for security. It is far easier and likely that open source software contains malware than closed source. As it is I control the source and I know I'm not putting anything bad into it so I have no reason to worry about security from that standpoint.

6) A LOT of people know me both in EQ and in real life and know I wouldn't mess with anyone's , I'm not some guy off the street offering you candy. Not only this, but several other reputable members of EQ community have or have had access to the source in the past. Daybreak itself has access to the source (though I doubt they give any about it whatsoever).

7) No one is forcing you to use it. Don't use it if you don't want to. I really give no what you do.
    Duder, Prothion, Defjam and 21 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.