It is now better to pull naked with mana regen gear for 9 expansions as a bard

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sethisto, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Sethisto Elder

I can't believe this change went in. It's insane for a game that focuses so heavily on progression servers and restarts.

As someone who plays a bard puller for most of these, we have no reason to gain +mana gear now. It is literally detrimental to gain mana. You need to strip and just wear mana regen gear to pull. In PoP - > Gates and onward fade is much better mana-costwise than 12% for a raid geared bard.

How is that at all a good idea? There are 2 classes that regularly raid/high end group pull on TLP servers where lull can't be used. Bard and monk. Bard just got absolutely obliterated for the 9 expansions rank 1 fading memories is a thing for what reason exactly? It makes no sense. Sure it helps bards without raid gear, but they can just lull the content they do. They aren't pulling reds and yellows that can't be lulled.

This has been a staple of this era of the game for over a decade now. Now it's literally just monks, a class that everyone already rerolls to since their DPS is 3x everyone else (My Selos guild has 8 raiding monks now for example) At 72, after 9 expansions we finally get it down to what it is for your average raid bard right now on selos. But at that point it will actually go up again as gear scales while our mana regen doesn't at all.

It genuinely feels like no one bothered to test this or none of the devs play bards on the servers you constantly release every year. It's one of the coolest classes in MMORPGS and you've basically ruined it for the TLP world.
  2. Magickon Augur

And to think...the OP had to edit their original post.
  3. Sethisto Elder

I can revert it and bring the typos back if it makes you feel better :x
  4. Lianeb Augur

You should absolutely pull naked.

P.S. Do you twitch?
  5. code-zero Augur

On live with a level 110 bard at 2% mana use per fade your mana pool would need to be 200,000 for that 2% to equal the 4k mana that it prior to this patch.

12% at lower levels does sound bad but when it was a flat 900 mana/fade you'd need to be at 7500 mana to hit that cost.

Not sure when the 8% thing kicks in but the 2% is available at 80 so I over all this is a huge improvement and as a bard main I'm very happy with it
    svann and Tucoh like this.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

oh .. dear .. lawd .. LET THIS MAN TWITCH ! !

An link the twitch here pleasors !
  7. Sethisto Elder

It's great at high levels. For the 9 expansions that it's 12% a cast though its terrible. You beat that in POP gear. Time gear and it takes 9%. GoD it costs 7%. Now it's 12% all the way til 72 kicks in 9 expansions after luclin.
  8. Laronk Augur

This probably belongs in the TLP forum.
    Allayna likes this.
  9. code-zero Augur

Well that's sort of what it was like in era, when you had a 7.5k mana pool you didn't spam fade. I'm thinking that this is designed to make TLP more like it was back in the day.
  10. Imukai Augur

By OP's concern, rather than being naked I'd think you'd want to wear gear that was negative INT to make your mana pool as small as possible while preserving your 15 worn regen. Or stay fully drunk.
    Jyve likes this.
  11. Fian Augur

It does seem strange to me that the mana cost for the ability increases as your gear improves. It should probably be a flat mana amount, maybe scale by level.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. NottaBard Journeyman

You keep saying it took 9% in PoP/LDoN which is completely false. There are zero bards on Agnarr with 10k (9%) mana pools because it's impossible. I doubt you could even find one with 9k (10%) mana unbuffed because it would literally take every last BIS item and aug geared specifically for mana to do it. Realistically it would be a near BIS set to get above 8200 (11%) mana. Considering how long it would take on Agnarr, I seriously doubt this is even remotely possible on other TLP servers in era.

Not sure why you insist on lying every time you post. Maybe instead of spreading lies you could put that effort toward getting more efficient at pulling.
  13. Laronk Augur

Right, fade was like 900 mana. Also I mained a bard during luclin through OOW, it wasn't something that you spammed we didnt even have out of combat med back then and you only got flowing thought and nothing else helped you regen your mana. It took a while to get your mana back, but there's other tools like lull to help you out I know it takes a bit longer.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Zunnoab Augur

It is ridiculous to design something to be worse the more mana you have.

The only way it would make sense is if they make regen percentage-based too. I still don't like the idea at all, but yeah.
    Jyve likes this.
  15. code-zero Augur

Well back to the original question. No, it isn't better to pull naked. You can only lose 12% of your mana pool about 8 times before you are OOM. Regen should never really be a problem if you aren't spamming fade constantly as it's going to come back up on its own.
  16. ptah Augur

Of course its better to pull with gear on. Yes believe OP is stand up comic and his first joke is funny.

If find the fade change too harsh.. use paci, single target mezz, AE mez, charm, farm a root clickie, use the push pull tools your class has.

Yet to see crazy cost of this ingame.. I don't tap fade recklessly before it. Nothing changed much for me as 110 bard. Maybe things will change in week but day1.. nothing much has changed.

Use all the tools.
  17. Laronk Augur

At 110, it only costs 2% mana. That's why I said this thread should probably go into TLP land, they're complaining about expansions luclin - sof or something
  18. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Bards have been too powerful for too long. Happy to see this change.

Being able to drop aggro, while moving, plus invis, and continuing to move, ANY TIME YOU WANT with zero penalty is super OP. You know it. I know it. We all know it. That's why you created this post.
  19. Sethisto Elder

Yes, it is. Any raid geared bard is going to be mana regen capped with mana regen AA clicky. It takes a LOT longer to regen a raid geared bard's mana pool than it does someone with 5000 mana. Now that fade costs 12%, it uses way less mana per fade if you have less mana, whereas a raid geared bard with 10k mana (leading up to TACVI in my case) will have to regen a huge chunk to make up for it. A good bard doesn't get hit much, so a good bard will literally wear less gear to make up for it.

It's just a poorly designed decision that makes 0 sense. Fade was perfect the way it was. AA increased the cost but allowed it to be used on higher level mobs. Now the AA starts off crazy high and decreases it's cost for.. what reason? So bards can only really compete with monks past 72 for puller? Endgame EQ is all about chainpulling and quick clear times. You need to fade a lot to do that efficiently. We aren't in a world anymore where people wait 30 seconds between pulls. It's expected to have a constant stream and bards are king there. We can't do that when we can't split efficiently.
  20. Sethisto Elder

2% at 110 is nothing. This is about the lower levels when it's 12% for 9 expansions, which makes 0 sense.

And I already mentioned that the things a raid geared bard aren't paciable. Aren't usually mezzable. Definitely aren't charmable. Of course we'd use all of those, but from Luclin to TSS, max level content is yellow and red. The only thing you can do is mez.