Issues with discord - Authentication and Support

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by globeadue, Apr 8, 2020.

1. globeadue Lorekeeper

Greetings the following things are currently issues.

1. Someone at daybreak turned on the required verified account to use the discord server.
    This feature was not turned on when the discord server was created, it was enabled weeks after the EQ Official Discord was created: https://i.imgur.com/1xQEJRD.png

1a. I am a member of many public large volume discord servers, not a single one uses this feature and I have no issue anywhere else but with the Everquest discord.

1b. This validation process appears to be only valid for mobile phone users, users of landlines or VOIP lines are out of luck from authenticating. Per discord: VOIP, Burner/Prepaid, and Landline numbers can not be used to complete verification. You must use a mobile number to verify. For Daybreak to have this feature on is idiotic, which is why probably why none of the the 40+ discords I'm in, uses it.

1c. Because of this, I'm quite happy to just use one of the many other public EQ discords, its sad the official discord is being poorly managed. There was so much potential for it to be setup and useful to the community, but instead we just got a copy of these forums mirrored as yahoo/aol chat channels.

2. The Everquest support pages do not have any way to request support with the Discord.
    https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    https://i.imgur.com/0NruvHH.png
  2. globeadue Lorekeeper

It should also be noted that you cannot contact admins on the discord for assistance etc.

Your message could not be delivered because you don't share a server with the recipient or you disabled direct messages on your shared server, recipient is only accepting direct messages from friends, or you were blocked by the recipient.

https://i.imgur.com/agWuG9G.png
  3. dreamweaver Community Manager

The verification is there because a large amount of spam accounts that were being created and still occasionally are, unfortunately at the moment this is where we are at with it. I do review from time to time to see if removing it is an option but so far it hasn't been.

Conversely to your point every high volume server I am part of uses the verified account requirement, I am sorry you're having this experience and if we remove that requirement I will be sure to let you know.
    Szilent and xxGriff like this.
  4. xxGriff Augur

Thank you for replying to this Dreamweaver. I would like to add that I am NOT a fan of providing my phone # or more personal information than was is already requested on creating an account. it simply irks me to be forced to comply with additional information and a phone number is high on my list of "Don't Like it ONE bit" as there are no safeguards or recourse should this data be compromised.
  5. dreamweaver Community Manager

That's definitely understandable, I am very much the same, if it helps we don't have any access to that info, it's on discords end only and they do detail their security practices. But I can't fault you for feeling that way.
    xxGriff likes this.
  6. Derresh Augur

Hmmm, I'm in Overwatch discord (175k members) Path of Exile discord (110k members) and covid-19 discord (45k members) and several other discord for other games that range 20-50k members each and not a single one has phone verification. The EQ2 discord doesn't even have phone verification, Why have inconsistency within the same company? Seems odd to me. I'm calling your bluff and am curious which high volume discords you are talking about.
  7. dreamweaver Community Manager

EQ2 doesn't have the same issue for whatever reason, and nice try Derresh you aren't going to find out my discord habits! I see your game.
  8. Qbert Gallifreyan

Ya, this is somewhat disappointing. Oh well, just one more thing I cannot participate in because I do not have/will not get a cell phone. I get it; some "users" bum-rushed the system and caused trouble, and now reasonable people are punished for the behavior of unreasonable ones.
  9. Raccoo Augur

You can thank a very small yet vocal group of TLPers for that.