Is this an exploit?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by YellowBelly, Mar 25, 2018.

1. YellowBelly Augur

Taking a "chase loot" item, clicking on it to get the upgraded Item effect, unattuning with the unattuner, then handing to an alt on another account and repeating the process. Just curious.
  2. Critts Augur

3. Eanelder Augur

I would have to say no.

The general description for these ability states "Activating this item will unlock a passive alternate advancement ability", nothing about that ability working ONLY while the item in your possession or any other conditions.

If that's was the intent , then I have to wonder why they would move it from a worn ability to an AA.
    Quatr and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  4. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Back during TBM I accidentally used a ring as Tribute that was the clicky item that had my mana/hp regen click AA buff - I replaced with a ring with a ring that had the AC buff. I lost the regen buff AA when that item was no longer on my character. I had to buy another ring with my surplus of coins to recover the AA.
  5. Tucoh Augur

Nope. I've never seen a dev comment on it, but I think it's 100% intended.

Getting one of those items can be a benefit to an entire group of people and their alts.
  6. S33k3r Augur

The items are designed to be unattuned via loyalty coins and the click effect is now an AA which remains until you upgrade or reset so it makes me think that it's working as intended.
    Quatr likes this.
  7. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

The sad thing is that the devs will see this thread and move Unattuners to the Marketplace only.
    Viper1 likes this.
  8. Leigo You come here often?

it they were not intended to be used in such a way they wouldn't be attuneble rather then notrade
  9. fransisco Augur

jealous much?
    Why would it be? The "just curious" really sounds like you want to name someone who did it.
  10. YellowBelly Augur

Woah. Why get all defensive? The reason I'm asking is because there have been rumors that some guilds on my server have been passing these things around to each member for raid advantages.
  11. Sancus Augur

Uhm... Aren't these items EoK raid quality? If a guild on your server hasn't already farmed EoK to death, somehow I feel like these AAs won't be the key to their success...
  12. Thraine Augur

if you get banned, then its an exploit .. till then who knows :)
    Cailen likes this.
  13. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Yes its a total exploit!

You loot a tradeable item, use it till you no longer need or require it. Use the loyalty tokens you have earned to then purchase a ingame unattuner. At this point you use said unattuner to make your attuned item no longer attuned to yourself and then can offer it up for sale or trade for other items you want. Sounds fishy to me...
  14. GoneFission Augur

The unattuner was added at player request so we could pass on or resell an attuned item after one toon no longer needed it. Then came the establishment of the permanent (or semi-permanent) item buff.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if this buff application from passing around an unattuned item is an unintended consequence of two disconnected changes. It probably isn't considered an exploit because the attunable item buffs generally are extensions of other buffs, and aren't game-altering.

One day, the attunable item buff will get an inventory check and poof if it isn't found. Outrage will result.
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I'm actually amazed that the AA is in any way tied to the gear once you have it. I always destroy old gear with permanent click buffs on it once I replace it and click the new one. But if I hadn't clicked the new one yet and destroying the old one removed the buff, that would seem wrong to me.
  16. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I recall on the Quarm server we did the Queen event in RSS and the shield dropped with Aura of Taelosia clicky.

We were able to pass the shield to everyone in the raid and click it for everyone to get an additional 7 HP/Mana regen. It was pretty neat.

More servers need FV Loot rules, it makes the game far more interesting.
  17. Mulleteer Elder

People did this all the time with the ancient cloak of flames haste buff.

I highly doubt this an exploit. Even if it was, the number of people that would be banned if they enforced would be insane.
  18. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

Nope- there are two buffs that conflict in that line - Knowledge of the past and Soothing breath. What probably happened (99.999%) is that you over-wrote the first mana/hp regen buff with one from another clicked item. So when you clicked the first item again, it then gave you the AA back but silently over-wrote the 2nd item's AA buff.

Try clicking all your gear right now. If you have both types of clickies, you will "gain" knowledge of the past and soothing breath ranks in an endless loop, because they are the same buff line, and you are supposed to pick one and stay with it.
    Quatr likes this.
  19. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

My observations:
    • Don't listen to anybody who tries to tell you what is or is not OK, unless they work for DBG. DBG has a history or banning large groups of people for things that everybody thought was OK for many years. Also, players love to make up their own rules, especially on these forums.
    • There does not appear to be anything wrong with this process. In fact, since the unattuner is also sold in the Marketplace, I always assumed this functionality was intentional, as a way to generate income for DBG.
    • My assumptions are no more valid that anybody else's, and you play this game at your own risk. DBG will change the rules, without warning, any time they choose. And you will see a bunch of people saying "I told you so" and "You should have used common sense", but those people will be as irrelevant then as their own self-made rules are now.
    Quatr and Fanra like this.
  20. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Ya, when they added in the item AA's it destroyed the ACoF's market lol. All the cloaks that everyone used just for the click hit the market, and not many people wanted to buy em anymore since all they needed was one click from the cloak. The AA's were added as a convenience to the players (so we didn't have to battle buff 8+ items when we died). I think the passing around of items for the buff was an unintended consequence to that decision. I don't see any easy solution to stopping it from happening, and I wouldn't think it's a high enough priority for DBG to do anything about it.