Is there any advantage to a Froglok Monk?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Jlad, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Jlad New Member

I was thinking about using my free heroic on a Froglok Monk, but statistically it's pretty disappointing. Every other Froglok class has 100+ in both agi/dex, but for some reason all that martial training left the Froglok less dexterous and agile than all of its brethren (85/85). For some reason they get a charisma bonus to make up for this.

I get why this is done (so that they can be statistically similar to the humans), but it's done to the point where there's almost no flavor left to the race. It's also kind of silly to arrive here after asking myself the question "What class can take advantage of the Froglok's racial stats?," arriving at the obvious monk conclusion, then finding that they neutered it.

This ended up being more rant than I expected, but really I'm just curious if there's any racial benefit at all to being a Froglok. Do they get the same hand to hand delay decrease as humans do?

I know there are people out there that love Iksar, but I don't count myself among them. :)
  2. Tereil Elder

There's very little actual benefit to most races by the time you get 80+, sadly. Faction isn't an issue, there's hardly anyone at the starting cities anymore . Stats aren't an issue, they're maxed out pretty quickly. Really comes down to what race you find aesthetically appealing.
    code-zero likes this.
  3. skattabrainz Augur

Because froak, silly :)
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  4. IblisTheMage Augur

Frooooaaaak.
    Nuf´ said.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

6. Lheo Augur

Nothing looks so cool like frogs with hats..noting! :D
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

THIS!!!:D

I think frogloks can hold their breath slightly longer than the other races, not sure though.
  8. Forcallen Augur

Yes frogloks are amazing whats todays date again?
  9. Snazster Elder

Iksar monks start out with a high swimming skill also. Surprising, when their graphics are clearly based on horned toads.
  10. Thrillho Augur

11. Snazster Elder

Horned toad is a lizard but not an iguana.

Iguanas have the right attitude though. I was sitting on some stone steps in Mexico when one came and sat down right next to me. He noticed me staring and turned an eye at me. Didn't move another muscle but it was clear he was saying, "Yeah, I'm an iguana. So?"
    Quatr, Herf and code-zero like this.
  12. fransisco Augur

Perhaps the OP should look at it differently.
    Is there any disadvantage to a froglok?

The answer - nope
  13. Telkiney Elder

Frogloks have some really cool animations and their emotes are on point. but no real advantage or disadvantage to any race. By at least 65 if you are in defiant armor you will have max stats.
    minimind likes this.
  14. Phrovo1 Augur

gotta get that iksar skeleton illusion from SoD, never leave home without it (best monk animations imo, love pre-luclin iksars)
    minimind and Raptorjesus5 like this.
  15. Raptorjesus5 Augur

FWIW there are illusion clickies available for every monk race. Some are harder to get than others. Iksar is by far the easiest through the SoD quest. Froglok is fairly easy, can get it from the Old Man Mckenzie missions. Human requires some luck to get it from Vex Thal, and Drakkin just requires a ton of grinding doing the Hero's Journey achievement.
  16. Snazster Elder

So the best thing about froglok monks is that they are more likely to croak?
  17. Herf Augur

I'd bet money that Iksar are based on Iguanas. At least the male Iksar. In the original models it was more obvious; male Iksar had thicker tails than females, a nod to the fact that the male iguana has a bump at the base of his tail for his 'junk'.

Iguanas are also extremely feisty, another trait of the Iksar. Finally Iksar have the large round scale on their cheeks, just like Iguanas.

[IMG]
    niente likes this.
  18. Chorus Augur

/eye ....that's the only reason frogloks are better :p
  19. Astral64 Augur

Iksar is the only race for a monk.

The rest are simply inferior.
    Quatr, Sheex, DaciksBB and 2 others like this.
  20. Gnomereaper Augur

Iksar has scaling AC bonus and Whistling Fist quest that can be done by any race after faction work.

Drakkin has an AOE debuff.

Frogloks are purely aesthetics after developmental period is over.

I'll make it really easy,

Mostly anything: Iksar AC+Regen

Tradeskiller: Gnome

Shaman: Ogre for frontal stun immunity

Drakkin is an okay choice, especially for paladins it gives them a breath weapon tool.
    minimind likes this.