Is there a list that describes what each server has comparative to the next?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by SmoochyOfWolfington, Apr 30, 2020.

1. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

So many servers, but hardly any info on any of them, unless they are preferred or are progression servers for the most part. Firiona Vie I was informed by some one here that their exp is gained faster. It does not say that though before or after joining the server that I am aware of.

The server list also does not say what the pings or latency are for any of the servers. Are you just suppose to show up, create your character hastily just to pop your head in and hopefully the people there know what they are playing on? Or are you supposed to dedicate a lot of time to figuring it out before you realize that this particular server is not for you?
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Live Servers are basically all the same for xp & expansions, populations vary Bristlebane & Xegony are the most populated standard US Servers, Antonius Bayle is the most populated EU server & the only one not physically located in the USA.

The true exception of Live Servers is Firiona Vie which has special rules on languages, XP & loot, it has a high population.

Of the TLP - official info is found at the link here -> https://www.everquest.com/guides/eq-what-is-a-progression-server

Some additional info here -> https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Progression_Servers

And further info:

Fippy:
    The oldest existing TLP - pretty much dead now so not worth considering

Ragefire & Lockjaw:
    No AoC but they allow for boxing multiple characters on the same PC as they are not Truebox

Phinigel:
    First of the TLP to feature Truebox & Agents of Change (AoC) which are instances using the expedition (DZ) system introduced with Gates of Discord for older raids & zones with raid targets in them, this was to allow the large number of guilds to raid there unimpeded & without contrivances like guild rotations while still having open world targets that could be contested by all should they wish to.

LDoN specific raids used the system for instanced raid content they were introduced with that predates the DZ system.

Plane of Time on all servers including TLP now uses the DZ system too after it was retrofitted to PoP.

The experience rate on this server was SLOW when it was launched, the XP rate was increased at several stages, such as when Gates of Discord unlocked, and is now set at the same experience rate as live servers since the final increase to XP that was done in TSS. Expansions unlock every 12 weeks for those with a level raise & every 8 weeks for those without. Currently TDS is unlocked on this server & has been beaten by the 3 remaining Raid guilds there.
  3. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Thanks for the general population count as well. I see no reason EQ does not tell the player before they join the bare minimum of player count and latency of each server. And of course if XP is faster or slower or any other special rules would be helpful as well. I thought EQ at one point did inform of player count and latency per server. Maybe I am thinking of another MMORPG.
  4. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You forgot the other exception of Live Servers, Zek, the PvP server. Not that many play on it, but it does have a unique ruleset, special items, and an XP bonus.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Good catch, thanks.
  6. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

They stopped making server population data public around the time WoW and other competing games came out. It's pretty standard now for MMO's to hide this data from their competitors.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I still regret never trying the Good Vs Evil and small Vs Tall servers back in Classic. :(

I have no doubt if a company really wanted to they could find out how many active players there are, at least on average of a competitor's game. By not doing it, a game is potentially wasting the player's time depending if they wanted low, medium or high player counts on a server and have to keep jumping in and out of games to gauge the player population.
  8. code-zero Augur

It isn't the companies responsibility to feed all game information to potential players. One of the problems that was experienced in the past was people stuffing a server until the server would be split just to take the load off. With most of the TLP's being opened for free accounts we saw one server get slammed, Mangler, causing a full server condition and enraging quite justifiably playing players who weren't able to log on.

This is a game, play it and don't overly concern yourself with how things could be better. Suggestions are always good, feedback is always good. But your perfect server likely will only appeal to one player and that's you
  9. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Why is it the player's job to invest hours, days or even weeks only to find out that that particular server is not for them? Where as if the game properly informed players what to expect, before they even get to the starting gate, they could of chosen better and not wasted so much time. I am not sure of the relevance of the Mangler comment.
  10. Zinth Augur

Mangler was chosen be because "tadaaaaaa" it was the newest TLP server, no magic in that and Selos is irrelevant to most because it is super far ahead + way faster than what most would prefer that goes for TLP's, so no magic, just simple logic.
  11. Questoften32 Augur

I want a TLP even POP locked list. IF POP Locked want to know about its community. Cant find all all including or even any Total TLP and stage list. Not here even! I am half persuade to forget merc and find a POP locked with good community at its locked point.

This ''TLP'' would be a new experience I want to try! Like cheating on FV sever,and sort of like, messing around on side without the ethical or time problems. hahaha...but not really. ;)

Really though, its about finding a good TLP already locked at lower levels but with a good community in the main. Dont want to try them all, too involving, but I see no practical list.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

There isn't really much difference between the server unless it is a TLP server, with each one having its on rule set and which expansion it is on. Could do with a sticky in the TLP forum which tells you where each server is at and what the rule set is. *looks at Dreamweaver*

Live servers exeptions are AB (european) based in Amsterdam, FV (Free Trade/Roleplay/faster exp) and Zek (PVP)
    The other live servers are basically the same, Vox is the prefered server for new/returning players (also listed as so at server select). The others all have the same rule set and you will pretty much have the same experiences on all of them. With EQ currently starting to merge servers server populations could change..
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Agnarr - has AoC & is locked in PoP-era (LDoN is the last expansion it will ever see unlocked)

The best way to find out about Agnarr is to go log on there, ask around, join a guild see what's going on for yourself.

Frequently the Agnarr guild "Charge the Lair" update their recruitment post & post on these forums about open-format raids on that server they run so the server still has some activity going on for USA players even now.

Recruitment Post:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/agnarr-charge-the-lair.251194/

Event post:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...open-plat-potime-friday-may-8-8pm-est.265702/

Most current info I could find on the Expansions the other TLP are in:

Coirnav Prophecy of Ro (L70)
    Mangler Planes of Power (L65)
    Miragul Rain of Fear (L100)
    Phinigel The Darkened Sea (L105)
    Ragefire Secrets of Faydwer (L80)
    Selo House of Thule (L90)
  14. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I thought there were more differences then there are, so I apologize. FV being faster exp was a shocker to me as I had no idea and neither was the free trade part. But the role playing I was aware of because it clearly stated it and it was the sole reason I chose that particular server. If every server told the player what to expect, it would make the choices easier and the settling in period much better for the players. A sticky in the forum that is updated when needed would be a step in the right direction. But to have it announced right on the server select screen would be ideal.

I tried that once. I got snarky comments for about half an hour. ^^! In the end I do not even know if they knew anything about the server. Mind you I was only speaking in the /1 new player chat. But I would of hoped someone could of answered at least some of my questions.

By the way, is the Zek PVP all the time any where, or you have to hit a certain level first or be out in wild to get killed? Can you be murdered in the cities even from level one? I saw over the chat window one person being killed about the fifteenth time in a row... :eek:
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You'll always run into a few sarcastic & unfriendly folks, I would send a tell to someone like Xeris, Sirex, Froakay, Rrip, or WNBA in game and chat with them!

As I understand it everyone on Zek is always on PvP everywhere & all kills are announced with who was killed & by whom.
  16. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

No doubt. Some of the comments were actually commical. But when you are in earnest trying to find an answer, it is not too helpful. ^^!

I was hoping there were safe areas, like at least the starting cities. So you can be attacked by a player and the guards do nothing? I suppose if it was an evil race and you were by good natured guards they would defend you or simply try to drive out the evil. Still I would of hoped there would be respite some where.

I think I was recently attacked by someone. Either that or it was a high level skeleton, but the kit it had made me think it was an illusion of some kind. Regardless due to the walls/corners of that particular area I was able to hide from view and cast a homeward spell to escape. Of course if they knew where I was going and they had the same bind spot that could of been disastrous. Do you lose anything in a PVP kill or you keep everything like all other servers, minus a little exp?

Also can players "hunt" other players? I mean is there a Find button or a spell or class like the Ranger that will direct them to you or it is all by chance that you meet up?
  17. Pneumothorax Journeyman

Be careful when picking FV, the population tagged "high" is very misleading. It's a high population because there are many many 3+box groups running around. If you are looking for actual people to play with go with a high pop regular server, Bristle, Xegony.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I don't think you lose anything other than your buffs.

Rangers, Bards & Druids can track players just as easily as they can track mobs. If they are using some 3rd party stuff then other classes can too, and I would expect that.
  19. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I mean they can not be somewhere else in another zone or plane and see someone log on and then know exactly where that person is can they? They would have to be at least in the same zone to track them right?
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You can't track players in other zones, but you can use /who followed by the character's name to see if they are online & also you can add them into your friends list to see when they log on.