Is PoWar worth it?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zantor, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Ammeren Augur

I think everyone needs to stop complaining about the level of difficulty it takes to farm a grey mob.

There are tons of camps that take awhile to get your item and most are the type where only 1 person at a time can camp it. PoE gives the ability for multiple people to camp the same item.

You don't have the time to camp it? Then wait to buy from bazaar, a buddy, or you just don't get in.

It's not like you guys can't access the zone AT ALL. You just have access to the first part of the zone..And honestly if you aren't able to farm a grey mob for an item I doubt you'd be successful in the latter zone area's.

This isn't the first zone that's needed rare items to gain entry, hopefully it won't be the last.
    moogs likes this.
  2. moogs Augur

Roshen's statement clearly says that the zone is designed for people who are in raid gear. This is something that has been requested a thousand times over the last few years. If anything, this should be viewed as an opportunity by groupers to join some high-powered groups for a chance to loot raid-equivalent gear without ever having to suffer through a raid. I really don't understand the complaints.
  3. Gnomeland Augur

EQ would lose about, oh, 60% of its customers?

Boxing began for a reason. It wasn't because the old way was popular.
  4. Casidia Augur

Does raid gear matter much for classes that are no tanks thou?
    I highly doubt that let's say a wizzie couldn't contribute in PoW, using good group gear.

Tanks always have it harder with gear. Melee dps too?
    Yes for weapons, but they can still be useful if they are good players.

Making mobs so hard that you need raid gear to survive would be the wrong way.
    Make good RAIDS for those with raid gear again instead, not group zones.
    Please notice i say "would be the wrong way", because i have no idea yet if it's true or not.

Old Eq Dungeon type zones were not about mobs that break your bones.
    It was about making your way through the zone, mobs adding, watching roamers and so on,
    and that required group team work.
    It was not about downing Nameds that can 1 round a raid geared warrior.
    Do not compare the style that PoW seems to use to classic EQ, ever. This is something new then.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

I havn't read anything saying it's designed for raid gear.
    From what I've seen so far nothing hits especially hard. It seems to be more about mechanics than anything. I've seen casters do their fair share of tanking due to the aggro mechanics and seen them stand up just fine against 2-3 at once.
  6. moogs Augur

Not going to accuse Roshen of editing his post after the fact. I really thought I read that it was balanced for players in raid gear. May have read that in another post.
  7. Falos Augur

The zone is essentially tuned that 6 end game raid geared players (some classes might not be as gear dependent) can kill all the named mobs, OR 12 group geared players can do the same. This may not be a universal rule but based on various dev posts i've seen this seems to be the mark they aimed for.
    moogs likes this.
  8. Fenthen aka Rath

What are you talking about? It only takes 60-70 mobs to get an entire Alternate Ability point, it's fantastic!
    Andarriel likes this.
  9. Tarrin Augur

Wouldn't that imply that raid gear has twice the worth of group gear?

The stats on raid gear don't seem to back that up. Raid gear is what? 20% at most better than group gear?

Since raid gear is no where near *twice* as powerful as group gear, wouldn't that imply that there would have to be some other effect causing groupers needing 100% more people to accomplish the same stat?

Or maybe its just tuned towards 12 people, and if 6 highly geared and well played toons can accomplish it with less that is just a bonus.

Please note, I am not trying to make this a raider v grouper issue. I just wanted to point out that saying 2 groupers = 1 raider is an insult to groupers.
  10. Falos Augur

Not necessarily.

Sometimes that extra oomph provided by raid gear on a tank is enough to make the difference between something barely being tankable and not being tankable at all, Also these mobs are a DPS check so for example say 1 semi balanced group of group geared players might *typically* lack the dps for these encounters, those same players with rank 3 spells / raid focii / weapons might be able to beat the fail timer.

The reason I said that that seems to be the general level they are aiming for is because I know some of the named mobs here are a great deal harder than others and there are exceptions to every rule (for example we've killed a few named mobs with 3 human players, 2 of them playing one character *one of which was raid geared* + me playing 3 characters) Though I know for sure utilizing that same setup we wouldn't be able to beat every named in the zone, some are quite difficult.
  11. moogs Augur

The foci on raid gear are probably the biggest gear difference. The biggest actual difference by a long shot is that the average raider is far and away more knowledgeable and is better prepared with macros, audio triggers, custom UI, a wealth of AA, tribute, rank 3 spells, superior clicky items, marketplace and rare utility items, and other advantages over your average grouper. Not to mention playing with 5 other people who are equally invested in the game makes a truly massive difference.
  12. Ravengloome Augur

the fail timers are one of the major hold backs from 1 grouping. Although a decent amount can be withperfect play and setup. Even with group geared toons.
  13. Mordeen Lorekeeper

The difference between cotf raid and group is a longggg way from 20%. HME and the all important AC is 33%, and focus is 100% vs 70%. Easy to check on Eqresource. At least don't exaggerate the numbers.
  14. Tarrin Augur

Don't forget to jump on the person that said 1 raider = 2 groupers.
  15. Falos Augur

I believe there was another thread posted somewhere where they did specifically refer to 1 raid geared group or 2 group geared groups but with a brief search I did come across this post by dzarn:

"1. Rare NPCs in the zone will range in difficulty from 1 to 2 group targets. After internal discussion on their mechanics and abilities it is looking more like half of the encounters will be closer tuned for a group of 6 real players and the other half will be from 6-12 depending on your gear and skill."

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...maybe-or-maybe-not.208633/page-9#post-3063438
  16. Mordeen Lorekeeper

It was certainly not my intent to "jump on" anyone. I have seen attempts to minimize the yawning chasm before though. That 70% vs 100% focus difference for instance translates to a raider doing 42.8% more damage using the same rank spell, not even figuring in the difference between rank II and rank III. I am sorry if you felt like I was attacking you personally.
  17. Tarrin Augur

That statement, to me, doesn't say "nameds are tuned for 12 groupers or 6 raiders".

You could be in group gear, be very skilled, and be able to 1 group a variety of mobs.
  18. Falos Augur

Like i said I coulda sworn there was a post by some dev back in early march that said something along those lines, but there were a lot of posts to search through and that was the first one i was able to find so i at least posted that since it did kind of imply that. Tuning is not a precise thing, it's just a very very generalized baseline they aim for.
  19. Tarrin Augur

Hmm.

Latent Wiz arms is 46-70%. Average is 58%

Suppressed Wiz arms is 47-100%. 73.5%

Difference is 15.5%

Can I please be pointed to this 42.8% pct difference merely from the 70% and 100% focus?

I am just unfamiliar with what causes it to jump that high.

Heck, send it to me in a pm. I really am curious. I don't want to derail this too much~
  20. Marshall Maathers Augur

42.8% is 30/70, which is not quite the boost in DPS, as much as it is the boost in peak crit rate relative to 70%