Is Mask of Scaled Cunning the new Jboots?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ZenMaster, Apr 17, 2016.

1. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I recently tried the Mask of Scaled Cunning on my 105 Monk. Illusion Benefit Dena makes me seem to run faster than Run Speed 5 or Cloak of the Fleeting Foot's SoW. Lucy spell data has it at 95% speed increase at L51. It is castable indoors as a separate 10 hour+ Illusion Benefit buff. I know this mask has been somewhat hyped up since it was removed from the Marketplace as one of the old 1000 DBC reward packs. Is this item the new must-have Jboots upgrade?
  2. Riou EQResource

Illusion Benefit Dena is 60%, Lucy parses it wrong. SoW caps at 50-55% depending on version.

60% is like Run 6.5 speed. This is slower then Flight of Eagle and Spirit of Eagle as well.

As a Monk (since lvl 70) you should also have Run8 which is faster then that (71.4% speed).

That indoor restriction stuff was removed on run speed stuff a few years ago.
    Iila likes this.
  3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

This is by no means a complete list, but it should cover the majority of the ones that count. I'm not including Selo's or short term self buffs. Run5 can still be considered the base run speed for most people these days so I have also not included anything under 50% except for the lower levels of Run AAs and Shrew for completeness' sake.

Run 1 = 11.4%
    Run 2 = 20%
    Run 3 = 30%
    Run 4 = 40%
    Run 5 = 50%
    Run 5 + Journeyman's Speed 5 = 57.1%
    Run 6 = 57.1%
    Run 7 = 64.3%
    Run 8 = 71.4%

Shrew = 30%
    Bih'Li = 55%
    Wolf (spell) = 55%.
    Wolf (pots) = 60%.
    Greater Wolf = 60%.
    Scale Wolf = 70%.
    Eagle = 70%.
    Cheetah = 115%

Group Spirit Walk II = 70%
    Spirit Walk II = 82%

Illusion Benefit Dragon of the Air = 55%.
    Illusion Benefit Dena = 60%.
    Tadenea, Gyurika Godofwar and Fanra like this.
  4. Geri_Petrovna Augur

wait, monk run 8? - have i missed something? (related to journeyman's compass?)
  5. Xikteny Augur

Weightless Steps
  6. Geri_Petrovna Augur

Oh. just that.. sigh, i was hoping there was something more, that i had missed that would let me run even faster :D
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Dzarn hasn't consolidated the run speed AAs yet that I know of. Bards, Monks, and Rangers all have them. They are the same % for all 3 classes but they have different names so most people just call them Run 6-8.

I should add that the Journeyman's Compass in the above list doesn't apply to those 3 classes. They get something else instead because they already have run8 which is better.
  8. Geri_Petrovna Augur

Yeah, monks get a reduced CD on our Neshika's blink (which is why i mentioned it.. it's a movement thingy) (30 yard teleport, on 18ish second cd)
  9. Tevik Augur

Bards get the same, our AA just has a different name.
  10. mackal Augur

These numbers aren't comparable. You have to do math to compare SPA 271 (AA run speed) and SPA 3 (SoW etc)
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I'm pretty sure they're the same and the game simply takes whichever is the higher of the two effects.

There are other examples of this like attack speed (aka 'Slow') which can be with SPA 11 or 371. They do exactly the same thing but work in slightly different ways and if both are active at once the game takes whichever is more powerful without stacking them.

I could be wrong however. If you have evidence to the contrary I'll stand corrected.
  12. mackal Augur

They function very differently. I just realized the numbers you used match whats on raidloot, which already do some math, which I didn't realize earlier. I'll have to go through my notes and post the difference :p
  13. mackal Augur

(ran out of edit time)

Okay, so those numbers you used are correct to compare, but the SPAs DO work very differently.

So the client has a runspeed of 0.7.
    Innate Run Speed 1 = SPA: 271, base: 8

base is divided by 100 and this is what the client uses for the modifier. So when it comes to runspeed time it's 0.7 + 0.08 for 0.78. Which to convert to what people think with 0.7 == 100. just x * 1000 / 7 will work. This is where the 11.4% comes from, but the SPAs act rather differently. They also naively use just a straight comparison of base1 to decide which takes effect, which can lead it to using the weaker bonus :p Example (only applies to toons with run8)

Run 8 results in a total of 50, where Spirit of Bih`Li has 55 SPA 3. 55 is greater than 50, so it uses Bih`Li for 155% speed increase. But (0.7+0.50) * 1000 / 7 is 178.57, which is faster, but Bih`Li won :p

I guess the importance of the difference (as long as you're not thinking with the raw SPA 271) is where the incorrect bonus is used sometimes :p
  14. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I know they -work- differently, my point was about the end result. Poor choice of words on my part I guess.