Is mage, enchanter, Druid still viable?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Arlien, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Arlien New Member

Title says it all. Will this still be a viable trio nowadays? Can you do all the progression and hunt named a or are pet tanks too limited?
  2. Dewey Augur

The mage doesn't need the other 2. The other 2 got nerffed hard and are still crying about it. The first one mentioned(mage) is very over powered atm.

I suggest rerolling the enchanter/druid and making 2 more mages; if you really care. Or if you love the toons already then just play those 3 they will do fine because the mage will own everything.

You can even sit one of the other at the entrance and make him puller, then run around the zone with your pet and 2 merc healers(if you get lazy) The druid and enchanter are decent and such. The enchanter probably would help with pulls and mezz and slow.

So viable? Yes...
  3. Caell Augur

I don't know about in TBL, but the combo works ok for me in RoS and EoK.
  4. Ninelder Augur

Replace the druid with a shaman.

The chanter, while having been nerfed what 6 times in a row and never compensated, is still good CC, and adps for the mage and shaman. The shaman brings with it tons of top slot position abilities, and all their buffs stack with healer mercs. They are also the hardiest priest class and come with a third pet for your mage to both gear and benefit from with the "of many" line.

You could just as easily use a beastlord as a replacement for druid as well with most of the above reasons applying.

I have mained a druid for 20 years, fully raid geared, max AA and pretty much any trash mob in TBL will one round him in less time than it takes a chanter to cast a mez, due to the fact that their worn AC does nothing. Druids take more damage than even silkies. They are the only class that has to worry about dying to grey con mobs.

They did finally lifted the moronic outdoor-only spell restriction that plagued them for the first ten years of EQ. Unfortunately not soon enough, they have been so screwed over for so long that 95pct of druid players quit playing before any of the sadistic-game-ruining crap was lifted. Thus they never saw it. Apparently 95percent wasn't enough as the devs went out of their way to reduce the class from the worst ever to "so sadistically horrible that it makes you wonder what druids did the the devs to incur such wrath."

Aside from raid debuffs which are pretty potent but just as problematic, since they take a minute or more to land. Only raid bosses will live long enough to see that, and they are usually buff-blocked at the 10second mark, so good luck recasting them with the hope they will eventually land. Druids have never seen the light side of the class balance wheel, and probably never will.
  5. Arlien New Member

Well that is too bad about druids. Aren’t they decent dps though for a priest class? I was hoping to be able to have ports and track on the team as well lol..
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

DPS is decent, though it will chew through the mana pretty fast.
  7. Arlien New Member

Hmm, maybe just three mages is the best option LOL...
  8. Gundolin Augur

I've seen some druids parse very high on longer fights where their dots really get to soak in. Haven't checked since TBL, but I wonder how much of a nerf after the initial dot rebalance the druids took.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

My opinion (scrub, moloing druid): The initial DoT rebalance was nothing short of amazing. The "nerf" turned out to be a pretty fair adjustment. DoT DPS is very nice, and the fire-and-forget application allows for heals/debuffs while they're running. Mana use is big, >but< they're still the most mana-efficient damage we have, with the exception of our quinting spells, which are highly situation-dependent. Overall, I'd give the Druid DoT rebalance an A.

PS - I have a small mana pool (just under 150k), so people with better gear and bigger mana pools will notice the mana-issue even less (longer to go OOM, get more mana back per tick in OOC regen, etc).
    Gundolin likes this.