Is it too late to start on Phinny or Agnarr?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rapala, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Rapala Journeyman

I started on Coirnav about a week into it, my first TLP, coming from P99 and live over almost 20 years ago. I got 48 about a month before kunark and stopped playing. Came back for Kunark and got to 51 in about a week before stopping again. I'm too old for that kind of grind anymore.

I assume it's too late to roll on Phinny/Agnarr if you're someone who can't afford to spend longer than 30 minutes looking for a group as the low level population is probably a fragmented minority of the server. Can anyone confirm/deny this? I assume I have to, at this point, wait until the next TLP and hope it comes with vastly superior XP to Coirnav.
  2. Machentoo Augur

The low level game is pretty sparse on Phinny, but we have live xp levels now so it is very quick to level up. If you play a solo class or box, you can still catch up.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

It will literally never be too late to start on agnarr. And thats really the idea of the server.

And right now, you might as well play there and wait for the next tlp which will probably scratch a lot of itches from players who smartly skipped coirnav cash grab.
    Lantherion likes this.
  4. Xeris Augur

LoY is gonna drop on Agnarr and everyone will be playing alts to experience the lower end content... it's a pretty good time to stsrt
  5. Machentoo Augur

Think this may be the first time in the history of the progression servers that anyone has been hopeful that LoY would be a positive for the server.
    Genoane likes this.
  6. Kahna Augur

No... no they won't. Agnarr is past it's prime. Fine to play on if you already have an established group but newcomers are going to be disappointed.
  7. Boze TLP complaint factory

On Phinny it's too late if you want to do the low-level-group-grind game. It's not too late if you want to group at high levels or raid. Population is top heavy and focused on raiding, most lower level toons are people working on alts. If you don't want to beg/pay for a PL you'll probably be soloing up until 50s, when you can usually find some folks to leech with (especially true if you've found a guild). Phinny has Live XP rates now, so it's super quick leveling. I just took my SK from 65 to 74 in like 8 total hours of grouping. PL 1-50 can take 8 hours or less as well.

If you're looking to be a high attendance raider:
    1. Check https://phinnyprogress.com/raid_times.php for a guild with raid times that works for you.
    2. Make your toon as a class that guild needs, be a super awesome person.
    3. Join that guild, get PL'd/leech, make friends, get loots.
  8. malaki Augur

But xping in Dulak Harbor instead of City of Mist or something is going to bring in the masses!
  9. Glykus Journeyman

It depends on what you want from the game. Phinny is way past any point where you'd consider it nostalgia, yeah you'll level up faster but to what end? To start in an expansion you have no memory of?

Agnarr is a little better, but people need to understand that Agnarr is a dead end server, theres no reason to raid any of the previous expansions, pop is currently and forever is going to be the main raiding expansion on Agnarr, if you like raiding plane of time for the rest of your life then maybe Agnarr is for you.

The people crapping on Coirnav are the ones who are on these servers and they can see how low their population is getting over time, they are desperately trying to convince you to roll on the server to stem the tide of players leaving for other servers.

Now, its true that Coirnav isn't the massive gongshow that phinny was at it's release, there ARE less players, but not to the degree that you can't do whatever you wanted to do during the current expansion you're in. Coirnav has about 8 or 9 raid guilds at the moment and as raid quality increases you'll likely see more, theres plenty of people who've played TLP before who simply don't have the patience for classic and kunark raiding. This is my first TLP and i completely understand where their coming from, once we enter into more raid-oriented expansions (starting in Velious) you'll see alot of the inactive people come back.

Coirnav is doing just fine, its much more active in the lower levels than other servers and theres always plenty of groups going on in most dungeons, especially in Kunark dungeons. I think the server will do very well through SoV, Luclin and PoP and then begin to wind down a bit with LDON and the release of the 20th anniversary TLP (depending on what it is), that being said, it will certainly survive LDON and make it into the GOD and Omens eras; aka the parts of the game where most people draw their nostalgia from that they haven't been able to (and wont be able to) experience on Agnarr. Heck, Coirnav might even do better than i've predicted since it would've been so long since we've had a TLP on the GOD/OOW era.

TLDR: Don't listen to the salty people who keep crapping on Coirnav, the server is doing well, the server will be doing fine and for anyone looking for a legit nostalgia experience, Coirnav will deliver.
  10. Wiff Elder

It is definitely not too late to start on Agnarr. I am still seeing a steady stream of new players and people starting alts, and there will be at least a small bump of people starting frogs this week.

My guild has been pushing recruitment the last few days and at least 25 people have joined, most were less than level 20, and a good portion of them (8 that I know of) are new to the server.

Start a toon and ask for an invite to "Of the Sea" guild. Any member can invite you.

Yes, the server is PoP-locked, but I think people underestimate how long the social nature of the server will keep it viable.
    HappyPanda likes this.
  11. ayoforYayoh Augur

I have max level character(s) on every tlp except Fippy / lockjaw.

To answer your question OP: Phinny is a struggle if you're going to start fresh on a group dependant class. Play something like necro and youll catch up easy. the raiding scene is still there.

Agnarr is the revolving door. You can take the time to do everything you've wanted for any class. because of this it creates a healthier alt scene than Phinnys. You wont struggle too much leveling unless you just refuse to actively message others. raiding scene still there and healthy as well.
  12. Boze TLP complaint factory

Phinny peaked from Velious - PoP, as far as the number of raiding guilds at least. Also, at least two of the raiding guilds on Coirnav right now are primarily made up of two Phinny guilds that started to quit and fall apart in that GoD/OoW era. Edit: Maybe four actually? I was talking about AO (TMO) and MiM; but forgot In Virtue had restarted there and hadn't noticed Kings Legion yet.
  13. Lantherion Elder

You coirnav players kill me. Op says he doesn't want to play on coirnav due to the slow exp and this guys says he should play on coirnav anyways, lol what a joke.
  14. Kahna Augur

I think was he was getting at is that grouped exp on Coirnav is faster than solo exp on Agnarr. And you absolutely will be soloing to max level on Phinny, even if the exp is faster. OP asked about LFG and low level grouping, if that is what he is looking for Coirnav is where he will find it. Even if that isn't the answer he was looking for.
  15. Snomie Elder

The only people that solo to max level on phinny are people who choose to do so over just getting PL'd. I offer guildies PL help all the time, especially new recruits. Stop spreading lies about leveling. The way you level on phinny isn't low level grouping or even soloing unless you really want to solo for some reason. You join a raid guild on phinny with a class they need, then get help leveling. Soloing is only done when you need to afk/do other stuff while leveling.

I took a guildies fresh alt up to 50 in about an hour the other week, as well as leveling an enchanter, druid and beastlord to 70s in the last couple weeks just because the xp was so easy.

Even with XP bonus gone now I can PL a fresh toon from 0-50 in about a couple hours no problems.

Kahna, no one calls you out on your bs statements and predictions anymore because every time you fall back to the "well I group with my own guild and I don't really know, so you can't call me out for making up nonsense statements about the state of coirnav because I'm not a part of that community and it's all sunshine and rainbows inside my guild group!"
  16. Kahna Augur

Yeaaaaaah, because a PL to 75 is exactly what the OP was referring to when he asked about low level grouping. That's why TSS brought back an explosion of new people to Phinny, all those people who are dying to get PLed to max level to raid in expansions they know nothing about..

oh... wait... it didn't.

I actually joined your guild Snomie. Twice. I left both time because no one was ever on outside of raids and getting anyone to do anything was like pulling teeth. Your guild is actually what drove me off of Phinny. If there had been a decent PST option I would have stayed.
  17. Snomie Elder

He was asking about catching and asking about leveling options. You implied the low level leveling part yourself, his post was just asking about options beyond waiting 30 mins for low level groups, not that low level groups was specifically what he wanted to catch up. I'd say catching up from 1-50 in an hour or so is pretty good leveling.

And FYI - TSS did bring back a decent chunk of old members/new people. As has been explained before and has been ignored by you since it doesn't fit your narrative especially with you not even playing on phinny.

Your previous posts about my guild said you didn't like that we were efficient raiders and that people logged after raids (that end at 12am by the way - wtf would a lot of people stick around that late, especially if you were around late expansion when people have nothing to do).

Give us a name and maybe we can find the real reason you didn't stick around - stop hiding with random vague statements if it's true. I don't recall many people that app'd to us twice so you'd stand out if you give us a name.
  18. Dailor Augur

Snomie leads all guilds on Phinny, so you will need to be more specific. Also please confirm if you were a part of the Luclin server chapter of Phinny guilds.
    Boze likes this.
  19. Kahna Augur

I apped on two different characters, so the name would not have been the same, and I doubt you would even remember me since no one outside of my class lead even bothered to speak with me. There was no drama, I didn't make any waves, I left due to lack of interaction, not just after raids but before them, and on non-raid days as well.

The first was a druid named Lenia, I made full member when I got her the required level, having joined while underleveled. I then realized that I hadn't grouped with a single member of TBW to get those levels and if it hadn't been for the kindness of my friends in my previous guild going out of their way to help me I never would have gotten the level. Pugging on a druid is so much fun. While I certainly didn't expect or ask TBW to PL me, having a chance to get to know people would have been nice.

So I left TBW and went back to my old guild, despite the fact that their times made raiding difficult. I did take the time to apologize to the druid class lead, as he had been kind. I didn't feel the need to explain myself to anyone else, as I'm pretty sure no one else even noticed I was gone. The second was only in the guild for a week, before I saw the history was repeating itself, to include my friends from my old guild helping me level. Combine that with the fact that Coirnav was announced and it was an easy choice. That is the real reason I left. No drama over loot, no arguments or personality conflicts, I wasn't even angry, just mildly disappointed.

I don't generally have any hard feelings against TBW, they are only doing what everyone does when they don't need to do anything other than raid, I just find it humorous that someone from that guild is the one stating they're happy to help PL newcomers, as that has not been my experience. Maybe you guys have changed, or Phinny has just realized if they don't PL new people they won't have new people.

You don't play on Coirnav, and yet have felt the need to trash it. People like to prop up their own servers. Accentuating the good points and downplaying the bad, as well as pointing out the downsides of other servers. I am as guilty of it as any, but so are you.
  20. Snomie Elder

Wait... I just checked the recruiting logs. Lenia was in guild in 2016, that was when phinny was still in peak population wasn't it? How on earth did you not have plenty of group and things to do back then? I joined BW end of Luclin and had tons of groups and things to do, this seems to be after you had already joined and left. You didn't even have to group with guildies specifically at that era due to groups being everywhere and population always being at high.

The second time you haven't given me a name for some reason, but it sounds like you joined at a low level, seemingly didn't make a whole lot of effort to set up guild groups or organize things and left after a week. I mean what did you expect, especially if it sounds like you joined late during an expansion when people had nothing to do.

When it's late expansion you can't just say at 12 am "hey anyone want to do some stuff?!" - no one is staying for that if it wasn't pre-arranged. If you arrange things properly, people will help. Heck we had an ex-guildie come help some folks run anguish last saturday to help them get their 2.0 after he specifically asked and scheduled when/where he needed help.

You literally say "While I certainly didn't expect or ask TBW to PL me, having a chance to get to know people would have been nice." What on earth do you expect if you don't even ask people? Especially when it's late in an expansion and people are just done with everything. Most grouping happens during first month of an expansion, after that you need to post/ask to organise things because everyone else is done with most group content/tasks.

Anyhow, here's the deal for that chip on your 'coirnav is sunshine and rainbows' shoulder. I don't hate coirnav. I don't 'trash' coirnav beyond saying true statements regarding it's population and decay issues that it will likely have based on how previous TLPs decayed. That's not trashing, that's being honest about what will likely happen for Coirnav. Heck, I told a guy in general to go to coirnav just this week when he wanted low level grouping and no raiding.

I will happily tell people the flaws of phinny and tell them not to join if it's not right for them. If it's what they want I'm happy to give suggestions though. You however, post nonsense statements and predictions half the time about how Coirnav will survive world war 3 and run away or back peddle to the 'I'm in a guild and wouldn't know about outside stuff anyway' defense when proven wrong.