Is it time to remove the level restriction on buffs?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xhartor, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Xhartor Augur

When they started putting in the level restrictions on buffs the game heavy mix at all level ranges because of the size of casual player base and slow rate of leveling. Long during high level buffs created issues where players felt they need those buff to anything.

On a live server anything that allows someone to level a character quickly is generally a positive. Since the sub 70 game that has this issue pretty much non-existent.

On TLP, the exp rate is cranked up much higher than it was during those eras on live. The player base is largely top-heavy once buffs like Aego, Focus, KEI come into game. It is difficult for players joining the server to find groups and most of the other lower characters are just alts being PL’d up. Additional in the AFK areas Nexus/PoK/Lobby, it’s the high-level buffs that players MGB on the AFK pile.

So, in the interest of helping players behind the level curve out, should these restrictions be removed?
    Brontus and Raccoo like this.
  2. Mossaa Augur

Guess its also time to have a NPC give you full gear, all spells and max level so you do not need to play.
    Duder and Abundant like this.
  3. Tweakfour17 Augur

Not sure how feasible it would be but would be cool if the spell was too high to land on you that you received your level appropriate version instead.
    Jhinx, Stymie, Aanuvane and 4 others like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Asking for access to more buffs is a long ways from asking for gear/spells/aa/max level. There are plenty of people tossing current level buffs out there but it can be harder to find buffs as a lower level player.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I have seen other games that do this and it seems to work well for them. If they could do this in EQ it would be great.
    Stymie likes this.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Kinda on the "no" side because there are items that exist that allow you to cast higher level buffs on lower levels players and it's kind of a neat niche that EQ has if you know where to find them. If you could just hit them with KEI/Aego/Shissar then those would lose all their value.
  7. Raccoo Augur

I agree with the OP. We need new blood/returning players. This would be an easy way for them to get through the low levels and catch up.

Also it is really annoying having to go through lower levels spells to find ones that will work on different level ranges (and many low level spells are single target, so you can't just MGB/TB them in a buff pile to help everyone out).
  8. Kodachi Augur

I take the oppposite stance of "items exist to click those buffs" on account of some of those items coming from LDoN raids and I am against LDoN.

But also, as someone who would be on the buffing side... I would much rather not have to mem lower level buffs. Its one of the reasons I don't like buffing lower levels... I have to mem an entirely different set of buffs.

That said, my expectation is this thread will result in a nerf to the clickies that can go on lower levels thereby making nobody happy.
    Stymie likes this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That would be great.
  10. Laronk Augur

At the very least a quality of life thing would be if the buff is too high for the person it just gives them the right buff so I don't have to load different buffs =)
    Yinla and Senlronia like this.
  11. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I agree 100%.

It's also time to removed the ridiculous restrictions on potions for low level players. For example, the Spirit of Wolf alchemy potion (Blood of Wolf) only lasts 3 minutes on a level 1 player. This makes no sense and is punitive. The duration should be the full duration but instead lower level players are punished for no discernable reason.
    Neceros likes this.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

It's because of caster level. Like many other spells, the effectiveness and duration of SoW go up as you level. They go up until the spell's maximum effect is achieved. At level one, not only does it have no duration, I doubt it even makes you run faster. The sow potions in the store don't have this restriction so we know they can change this.
    Yinla, Neceros and Brontus like this.
  13. Xhartor Augur

That's another cool idea.

I can't stand when characters are in that 46+ area and it feels a guessing game which buffs will land.
  14. Bewts Augur

It is not time to remove the restrictions…

But I wouldn’t mind scaling buffs depending how far off you were from the restrictions…

In example if you’re level 23 and need to be 46 for a 1,000 HP buff… then you’d get 50% of the buff or 500 HP from it because you’re halfway to the minimum level to get its full effects.

It would allow MGB to help out the lowbies without entirely breaking the benefit of high level buffs.
  15. Abundant Elder

16. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Remove restrictions so we can put 20,000 hp buffs and 10,000+ damage shield on a level 1. Makes total sense.

About the only restriction I think should get removed is the 10% worn haste limit that goes until like the mid 30s.
  17. Xhartor Augur

The whole point behind the idea is because you don't have functional player bases in the restricted level ranges. If you are leveling solo than you are missing out on the entire social aspect of EQ. When they make changes that make it easier for player to advance into the functional level ranges is decreases of them getting bored or frustrated and quitting before reaching the functional level range.

Advising new player who are struggling because they can't find a group to go buy power leveling, is just going to cause them to quit.
  18. Mrjon3s Augur

I would love for them to remove it around like GoD/OoW and make it so lvl 60 buffs could be used on lowbies.