Is it time to end free expansion unlocks at CoTF?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ZenMaster, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Wizdons Augur

I don't feel like reading through all this. Anyone tell me if anything new was unlocked for FTP?
    oldandnasty likes this.
  2. Quality Lorekeeper

It's pretty simple, I'll break it down.

DB is going to do what makes them money. If their chart shows them more profitable with F2P they're going to keep it. If it shows the opposite, they'll get rid of it. on a forum won't change it, drop your subs if you're really that upset and cost DB money. Businesses understand dollars and nothing else.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. oldandnasty Augur

It's a pretty simple choice for me as my main characters are level 100. If they continue to give xpacs away and my silver accounts can level to 105 I will buy the ex-pac for my All Access account. I can afford one ex-pac but not 4. If my Alts can't go to 105 then I won't purchase the ex-pac and will just stay at 100. My server is a Ghost Town so grinding to 105 is not high on my priority list anyways. In my mind it makes no sense for me to buy the expac on one account when my boxes can't progress further.
    Kridina likes this.
  4. Zamiam Augur

you can buy the expansions on your box accounts and lvl to 105 while still remaining f2p .. and have access to all expansions

nm .. disregard this post ..

just checked on my 6th account f2p still only goes up to CoTF .. 20/23 expansions avail
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I can see Daybreak offering a Staggered Release Model.

Here are two options:

1. Staggered release based on content. - Daybreak can limit expansion releases to a 3 expansion-gap when there is no level increase or widening content gap. 'The Darkened Sea' would not go free until the next expansion release (November 2017). This would address more fully the issue of the content gap (and botters). Expansions can go free earlier if a major update occurs (i.e. Plane of War type of release). This 3 expansion gap is not complex and can be sustained from now on.

2. Staggered release based on a timeline. - Daybreak can release expansion 1-3-6 months before the next expansion from here on out. In other words, TDS would be released around August-September 2017 or a point where they determine that an expansion unlock is not a gravy train/boon (or to provide a nice sampling). This would further incentivize expansion purchases but allow F2P to return (with a tangible handicap).

This agile model is better because of the following:

-Incentive to purchase expansions (equity for expansion purchasees).
    -Limit botting in relevant content.
    -Address content gap and mudflation.
    -Limit nerfs to old content. (It's been said that CoTF suffered from nerfs in part because of the F2P unlock).
    -People can take their time and actually enjoy older content. Devs won't be making content that people "gloss over" (i.e. EQ Achievements are not appreciated like Planetside 2 Directives). With the flattening/shrinking of content between TDS and EoK, people will feel less left behind than at any other point in the history of EQ.
  6. Drogane Journeyman

Did Autogrant AA's move up an expansion with this release or they stay the same as before?
  7. Bigstomp Augur

Well over a year ago we could'nt give away warrior weapons in /general that dropped from cotf raids that our casual raids had no use for. Is that not ancient?
  8. Bigstomp Augur

It's that bad that zoning was too much work. It was being given away for free.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

And that was long prior to TBM. It's not like group gear was surpassing it, it was a one expansion old warrior raid weapon at the time.
  10. Bigstomp Augur

They can be amusing. Sometimes they suprise you and people are far better than you expect. And sometimes you knew what you were getting into with a random group. At least the good incompetent groups are fun to talk to. It's the cranky incompetent groups that I hate.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  11. Gialana Augur

Yes. AAs up through RoF are now autograntable.
  12. oldandnasty Augur

Just wondering, has anyone seen an official post/word about F2P or Silver accounts moving up an expansion? My Silver accounts still show 20/23, so I'm assuming it is not going to happen, but still would like to see it in writing.
  13. CrazyLarth Augur

no level increase so I assume no new levels for Free AA;s
    oldandnasty likes this.
  14. oldandnasty Augur

Still want to see something in writing before I cancel my All Access and move to test, but thanks.
  15. Ghubuk Augur

If you are all access, why are you worried? Or just don't want to buy the expansion?
    oldandnasty likes this.
  16. Bobola New Member

AA auto-grant now includes ROF, so that is nice.

Hopefully Daybreak does add TDS to F2P accounts because 3 expansions back is too much when there are no options in between.

Failing that, I hope TBM can be purchased for the discounted price as before.

The best actually would be staggered pricing:
    • $35 for EoK - 99% of mains would buy this
    • $17.50 for TBM - probably no one would buy this but you want the illusion of choice
    • $8.25 for cheapskates just wanting 105 and TDS for their alts - I would say 60-70% of alts would buy this
    PS Yes, I am really pissed that I did not buy TBM when it was discounted for my alts...
  17. oldandnasty Augur

I explained my position in an earlier post. I currently have 1 all access account and 3 Silvers from years ago. My 4 characters ( I mostly play) are level 100 as I have been gone for a while. I can afford 1 but not 4 ex-packs. If my boxes can't level it doesn't make sense to me to allow 1 character go to 105, because there is little population on my server and I mostly box.
    Edit;
    I'm not worried, I and would prefer to just buy the ex-pack and stay on live, continue paying for my 1 account. God knows DBG could use the money. It just seems like if no level increase is the decision the smart move would be to stop paying and move to test.
  18. Ghubuk Augur

The more they add to f2p, the less incentive to buy.
  19. oldandnasty Augur

LoL, not the point at all. My situation is what it is. DBG can do what they want, but they should come out and say it. I have 51 days left on my all access. If they haven't granted silver the ability to go to 105, so be it. At day 50, I will just cancel and test copy because there really isn't any reason for me to stay all access on the 1 account.
  20. Ghubuk Augur

Well, I really do have to wonder how many levels it takes for someone to decide they want to go from f2p to gold.....200 levels, 300 levels?