Is it time to end free expansion unlocks at CoTF?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ZenMaster, Oct 9, 2016.

1. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

With no level increase and a handful of zones in EoK, should TDS still become free? A TDS unlock would mean FTP accounts could effectively reach max level 105 with all of the accompanying spells and AA. Would it be some sort of moral hazard where players are less inclined to purchase expansions by simply "waiting it out"? On the flip side, does an unlock revive TDS zones and raids?
  2. Ghubuk Augur

FTP are given far too much in my mind as it is.
  3. oldandnasty Augur

F2P should end period. They should charge a smaller fee for what is now F2P. Make it cheap, like $3.99 a month. If the model is to be F2P then the xpac unlocks should continue. Just my 2 coppers.
  4. snailish Augur

Should they release a "live premium" server, I think you'll see F2P winnow down to a handful of old servers.

"Live Premium" would be something like: phinny server capacity, instancing and load balancing, XP rate at least as high as the current FV xp rate, 51/50 character creation option (could even do 85 heroic as free character creation and boost the level of paid heroics)... could add a carrot like perma double faction and rare spawns. Server only accessible to subscribed accounts.
    IblisTheMage and oldandnasty like this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

"FTP accounts could effectively reach max level 105 with all of the accompanying spells and AA."
    Not really. Only if the FTP account bought the upgrade from the store to increase AA over 250. They still cannot cast rank 2 spells. Nor can they wear prestige. Or get the cool J5 merc. Or place items in guild halls. Just leave it as it is. I know I would not be playing any longer if I did not have my free accounts in addition to my paying mains to make the full group. There is a lot more to this game than getting to the highest level and free accounts fulfill that need. You all have fun up there!:p:DJOKE!
  6. Ghubuk Augur

Except that a lot of cheating botters will buy a krono and sub for a month...run unmentioned software 24/7 and max lvl/aa. Then they go back to ftp. They should make it so that ftp has a lvl/aa cap and you are reverted to that lvl/aa cap until you sub again.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

People need to quit whining about people getting access to 2+ year old content which few people use.

There is an unlocker for rank 2 spells; they would still be restricted from using rank 3 spells though. But you are correct about the rest.
    Drusi, Mocha and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If and when TDS unlocks to F2P, botters will overrun Brother Island for Purity Augs!
  9. Sancus Augur

EoK has 35 Purity augs, so I doubt the 30 purity ones will be that valuable post-launch.
  10. Brohg Augur

Those are already available via Chapterhouse, it hasn't happened
  11. NotRumzlug Lorekeeper

Chapterhouse purity augs are 30, so it hasnt happened yet!
  12. oldandnasty Augur

Only if they made it require a CC payment in lieu of krono.
  13. Mocha Elder

So many bad ideas and opinions in this thread. There is a very good reason this game includes a f2p model, and further restricting (let alone removing) it would only serve to damage the population even more... leading to more server mergers until we are down to 1 or 2, and eventually they just shut it down altogether. If anything, relaxing the f2p components just slightly--treating new f2p accounts as the old Silver model--would probably do a lot of good in getting people to come back. People who really enjoy the game are going to pay for subs/Krono either way, so the best way to increase that number is to increase how many people play.

As for the botting nonsense, there isn't anything you can do to hamper them that doesn't hurt the greater player base a lot more. You just have to accept that they are part of the game, whether you like it or not.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  14. Laronk Augur

It really is the vocal minority that want free to play gone.

The reason there is free to play is the game makes more money having it (net after the cost of those additional players) then it does without free to play.

There's more people in the game world to interact because of it.
    There's people who only log in to chat and them logging into chat with their old friends keeps the game world busier and keeps those people.
    Some FTP people convert into paying customers.
  15. Critts Augur

Is chapterhouse overrun?
  16. kookoo Augur

players who are FTP don't bother me much, and if DB make some more $$ , with FTP , all is good.

EQ will still be there if DB making good profit , imo
  17. Wizdons Augur

well jeeze if we could just enforce a rule those botters will go away.
    Benito likes this.
  18. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

If the people at DBG that are responsible for making decisions on business needs say the current FTP is all for now, then that suit me just fine. As stated above, they give enough of the game away for free. Hitting level 95 should be enough time to decide if EQ is worth paying for to progress forward.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Chapterhouse is a pain to hunt in even for non botters. Botters can probably be easily overwhelmed by dungeon layout. Brother Island - much more open outdoor zone - has been overrun in the past. We can hope for 35 purity Augs in EoK.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Worst comment on the forums ever....:p
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.