Is it time for new character models?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by cocoa23, Apr 14, 2018.

1. cocoa23 Lorekeeper

I pose the question, Is it time for new character models?
    It's been years and many expansions later and with all the new content the game has seen we have yet been introduced to new character models other than original and luclin ERA models.

Is this something that cant be achieved for any particular reason?
    Alekzandre and fransisco like this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The money needed to make the new models.
  3. p2aa Augur

DBG doesn't have the resources to do it.
    The dev team is smaller than before, and is yet fully busy whole year on new expansion game content, items stats, players AA and spells.
  4. Tatanka Augur

No.

Granted, I don't ever care about what chars and gear look like. But it's a question of new content, or new models, and I would think we'd all agree, new content is more important.
  5. Jumbur Augur

Yep, I think new character models would be great, however I think an upgraded client should come first. A new 3d-render would give the modellers(as well as new content) a lot more possibilities. :)
    Alekzandre likes this.
  6. Repthor Augur

why whould we need new charactor models when we still waiting for the team to fix lag/iffy chat servers/ script bugging out/ other preformence issues. lets get thet game working good for us all on all server first then if/when that ever happens then we can decide if models are somethign we want rather then new content . i suspect not
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. snailish Augur

There's charm in both versions of the old models.

The cost of doing new models doesn't justify it unfortunately.

Rage over the almost redone human models circa TSS would discourage me if I was a dev anyways.

Additional faces & hair on existing models might be a better ask, since some races have very limited choices.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  8. menown Augur

I would be for upgrading pet models that already exist in game.

Give troll Beastlords back their alligator, but the newer model of them. Give ogres that newer bear model that you see in RoF Valley of King Xorbb and EoK Frontier Mountains. Give Vah'Shir that ice tiger graphic that you see in TSS Valdeholm.

Necros usually have their models changed by level and pet focus. Lately, they went backwards in model progression with the ugly specter model that does not show weapons it is holding. Most Necros also hate the annoying noise that comes with the specter model.We have not seen a bloodbone skeleton yet for Necro pets. Maybe even give 2 different models for Necro's pets. One for the Rogue pet, and one for the Warrior pet. I liked the armor wearing skeletons from RoF. Those would work well for the warrior pet again.

I know there are newer elemental models too. However, many of the mages that I talk to love the nostalgia of their older pet models.
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Boze Augur

Didn't know this was a thing, and can't find anything via the googles, someone got a link? Curious to see.
  10. fransisco Augur

new models would be GREAT!
    And if people want the old stuff, they already have the option to see the 99 graphics, so it won't affect them
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Augur

Not a very practical idea considering the shrinking game population, age of the game, and limited resources.

Maybe if one of us wins 1.6 billion from Powerball and buys Everquest. :)
    Gyurika Godofwar and snailish like this.
  12. snailish Augur

My understanding, perhaps flawed...

is that around the time of Drakkin coming with TSS some initial artwork of an updated human model had been done based off the work done for Drakkin.

The "rage" I am recollecting is that this proposed direction was "more emo than EQ2's human model (and therefore terrible).

Then again, maybe this is all a vapor dream of my imagination. If so, please disregard.
    Boze likes this.
  13. snailish Augur

tie new models to specific spells or sell us pet illusion items?
  14. slayerofbats Augur

I think they should remake the whole game in the latest CryEngine.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Augur

You are recollecting correctly. The models were not well received at all. Always thought they would have done better using the resources used on Vanguard to revamp EQ including character models.

After the SOE new eq models were down voted by players they then said an outside company would be handling the new character models. Always wondered if Vanguard actually grew from that.
  16. Nolrog Augur

There was rage over those models because they were hideous. I have never seen the EQ Live forums so united on any one topic before or since. . . .
  17. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Haha...
    Simply put: No. I am playing with the old models anyways :)
  18. Jhenna_BB Augur

Hero's Forge is your "new character models". The $1mil or so it would cost to make new models from the ground up simply isn't an option.
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

I play with the old ogre models... would only be interested if it was an attempt to give original ogres more polygons, but kep the look.

Having said that, I am guessing it would be possible for modders to make a client patch that would change or upgrade a model.

If someone really wanted this, they could go try get crowd funding, and this could lead to this development.

But I don’t think that there are anyone capable of doing any of this that is willing to commit to it.
  20. kizant Augur

The original models are great. It would be a waste of time and money.
    elumxe likes this.