Is it possible to solo/molo to top level?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Everqueen, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Everqueen New Member

I'm coming back to the game after several years off. I'm wondering if it's possible these days to come back and solo the full way up. Whether that's with a merc or without.
    Also, what are a few of the most efficient classes for soloing/moloing the top levels nowadays?
    Please don't say anything like "play what you enjoy..." because I know from playing before that I enjoy almost all of the classes in EQ.
    Thanks in advance!
    Dre. likes this.
  2. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Possible to gain exp to level up to 110 while solo/moloing? Yes. To do all the quests and earn all of the rewards that make a toon powerful? Not so much.

But with any class, it will be a painfully slow process. The game and the quests just aren't designed for solo play. Here's a recent quote from the producer (https://www.pcgamer.com/how-is-classic-mmo-everquest-still-alive-after-two-decades/):
    If you still want to try, I would suggest a Shadowknight if you can afford to gear it properly. Otherwise, pet classes like necros, beastlords, and mages have always been known for their soloing.
  3. Rasbis Lorekeeper

I just came back after a 15 year absence and was able to restore my account. Lvl 65 Necro solo'd a level pretty fast doing Planes stuff then I decided to do a heroic upgrade. Not sure that was a great idea in hindsight. I'm now in zones where familiarity is lacking. Only have found a couple of spots where agro kiting is feasible and profitable. Population on my server is not very good but at 85 I can get a tag along group sometimes. I opened a second account and created a heroic warrior which turned out to be a great idea. I'm not stuck with doing the same camps for xp now. In short, I think you can hit 110 and based on some of the drops I've gotten boxing I believe you can get decent gear. My hope is at some point I will be high enough to catch the rest of the server population and getting in groups for good gear items will not be an issue.
  4. slayerofbats Augur

You will quit by about 90 when it becomes an insane grind. Even with a full regular group it is a big grind. Doing it solo would make people insane. I think your only option is to get someone to PL you or play on progression servers.
    Dre. and Pelrond like this.
  5. Fluid Augur

Solo molo to 110 won't happen. It is pretty much by design as people are pointing out. There are three serious impediments namely Mercs are near useless in f2p at the higher levels. Next is the AAs that are essential to having a chance to solo/molo are extremely limited. A character with 10s of thousands AA will still have a tough time at the higher levels, one that is capped at Silver<I assume> is limited to 1,000 AAs.

This is not to say your character can not make it to high levels on a f2p account, you just can't do it solo. If you joined a guild or had a regular group of friends that you played with, you could tag along and go all the way to high levels. That isn't what you are asking for of course.

It isn't that bad though. I consider the current set up pretty generous as far as volume low level game play goes. You could run ~4 character per server on every server and make it to the 80s boxing. That's a lot of game play. Even boxing you hit a wall when you run out of the ability to add damage, healing, and defense AAs. Same holds true for pet classes with their associated AAs. Some of the game mechanics like monsters that summon you then thump you hard really take the fun out of playing with no AAs. :)
  6. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

Depending on the class you could do it but I think you'd want to quit somewhere in EOK (100-110)

I did 5-6k AAs @ 110 root/rot as a shaman because I needed to have them for progression and better utility for our small guild.

This grind was enough to make me think about taking up needle-point instead of EQ.
    Clfyts and IblisTheMage like this.
  7. strongbus Augur

going depend on your class and play stye(you going play easy or push the limits). as a necro you can non stop agro kite with 4+ mobs at all times. and get decent xp.(when it went from level 100-105 there was a necro on my server who did all 5 levels in one day. just by going nonstop kiting of 4+ mobs at all times for like 10 hours stright(with the help of xp pots).)
  8. Dabrixmgp Augur

Consider adding just one more account. With Mercs adding even one account makes you basically twice as powerful. With just one account you are pretty limited to something like Mage and Cleric Merc or Enchanter and Cleric Merc. However just one more account opens up so much more. Now I dont know how good Tank Mercs are so if they still suck disregard. SK, Enc, Cleric Merc, and Wizard Merc would work great. Or Enchanter, Mage, Tank Merc, Cleric Merc.
  9. bigpapa Augur

I know with a shaman with all the knowledge I got with that class ( playing a shm since 1999 ) I could easy , specially if we can root mobs.

many tasks would be impossible to solo / molo , though
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

If going 2-box, do NOT plan on a tank merc. You may need one single-boxing (like I do with my druid), but then when adding the second box, make it one which is a tank, or has a pet which can tank. They are VERY weak at high levels.
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

Adding 1 more toon, say a f2p bard on /melody and /follow, would make it partially feasible, if you accept that you could get to 101+ this way, and then group with more people. Bards are VERY popular in groups :). But solo/molo to 110, maxing out your AA.... that just sounds too dull....
  12. Qbert Gallifreyan

Possible? Yes, certainly.

Fun? That depends on your definition of fun, I suppose.

My suggestion for easiest class to solo to 110 (i.e. no merc required): Enchanter*, I've done it. I never even hired a mercenary.

*Caveat: I don't play pet classes (mag/bst/nec), but I suspect they would be the next tier of easy . . . perhaps easier for those used to playing those classes.
  13. wiha Elder

some say every thing is solo able but not every one will say yes its is gear gear gear
  14. Mintalie Augur

The real answer here is no, not to 110. There may technically be ways to do it, but just don't. It would be absolute hell.
    Dre. and I_Love_My_Bandwidth like this.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

16. Buds Augur

Of course you can solo/molo to the top level. Not sure why some people respond about f2p, when you didn't mention it. I soloed a bunch of tunes to 105, no problem. Well I boxed a lot too, which helps and is more fun, but you don't need to do that. If you're just talking levels and AAs, I have no idea why someone would say you couldn't, it's the same as it always was. Now, gear is going to be tougher to get for you of course. Play on FV like I do and you can get raid gear cheap and solo much easier. I don't even use a merc with my BL and solo easily.
    Skewert likes this.
  17. Fluid Augur

Gold account is an assumption too right?

I agreed with the general sentiment even with a Gold account. Running a character with low DPS like a Cleric for instance, makes the time necessary to reach the highest levels ridiculous. Huge amount of time and expense to buy the equipment you can't solo. Kind of like saying everyone can grow up to be president or win the Lotto. I mean most people with Gold accounts are probably knowledgeable enough to do it, just not bent enough. :)
  18. Scorrpio Augur

Returned after a long absense as 84 chanter. Old guild was still there, all 105. Willing to take me along to soak XP, but being in content where you can contribute zip and any mob taking notice of you insta-kills you is just no fun. I tried charm-solo with cleric merc, it was insanely slow. Around 90, I set up a second account with a heroic druid, and started rolling HAs. It was like strapping on a jet pack. 90s just flew by, and my both chars were 105 and rolling with guild in no time. I later set up a 3rd account with heroic mage, and got her to 105 in no time, then I could easily box any name in EoK.

Yeah molo is possible. But you will burn out before long.
  19. Annastasya Augur

If by top level, you just mean level 110, then yes, it is possible, but i wouldn't recommend trying it.

if instead, you mean an "endgame" character with all the gear, augs, items, spells, skills and all the bells and whistles of raiding characters that have been worked on for years and years, the answer is no.

There are many things that are simply not possible to obtain with a solo/molo character, and many others that, while physically possible, would take an enormous investment of time and energy, and you'd also have to be very good at the game, and get lucky to boot.

Save yourself some grief and treat this like the social game that it is. The connections and support structure you build with other players is just as important to your character development (if not more so) than any other aspect. You will need other people's help if you want to see all the game has to offer, or even just small bit of it, in a reasonable amount of time.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  20. Xarbokk Elder

Depending on what class you play, it is definitely possible. And once you get higher lvl, you won't have to solo. If you have someone who can solo well, people that can't solo as well will flock to you. But if you are wanting to be left alone you can do it.
    KarmaKitty likes this.