Is it fun in groups in the high levels?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by slayerofbats, Dec 12, 2017.

1. slayerofbats Augur

When I used to play in groups it was release, Kunark, and up to PoP and it was super fun. Just wondering how the game is in the high levels now?
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It depends entirely on who you are grouped with. Real groups aren't that common these days, as most of them on Live are box armies.
  3. UncleUms Journeyman

It is an absolute blast to group at high levels, same as it was in Kunark. That is the only thing that has kept me coming back for 17 years. I have been playing with same partner for 16 years and we group with others all the time, love it!
    IblisTheMage and code-zero like this.
  4. slayerofbats Augur

Wow sounds good thanks. I need to motivate myself to level up now. I was stuck in the 80s getting tired of the grind.
  5. Ryanxp Augur

Which server you're playing on is also huge

At 80, you should start looking for Deadhills or TBM Heroic Adventures with others

Yes, there's still groups, but they're there at any ' stage ' of the game, and can reversely be relentlessly scarce at any time. Populated servers will be more forgiving.

Join the highly populated guild, with players of all levels, and high volume
    Find friends who are your level so you can advance at the same pace

But yes, You'll find groups more readily available the higher level you are
  6. Ryanxp Augur

Oh sure
    Sure it is
  7. Tucoh Augur

There's grouping opportunities, but it's not as required as it used to be so you have to work a bit harder to find a group. And any MMO is best when you find a steady core of players to play with instead of just logging on and looking for some randos to group with.

It's best to join a decent guild and build up a reputation for being a solid player so people will want you in a group.

And yeah, the gameplay itself is pretty fun. Much more fun than the PoP era IMO, because there's so many more gameplay mechanics.
    slayerofbats and Ryanxp like this.
  8. slayerofbats Augur

Perfect :) I got burned out on Gribbles but I will try some others and at least I know there is good stuff at the end of it all.
  9. Gundolin Augur

I generally have 4-6 real people in my groups, and yes they are more fun that way.
  10. Jetslam Augur

It's enjoyable to group with competent players who know their class and contribute. It's not fun to group with people that just auto attack and are worse than having a merc.

Having a few friends/guildies to form a good core of the group goes a long way. I box a shm/sk which means I can do most things with myself and two dps mercs. Tanking/healing is covered which means I normally look for good DPSers to group with.

If I have my parser running and notice the DPS person I picked up from /general doing worse than my DPS merc, then I make a note of the name and don't invite them next time I see them lfg. Conversely, if I have someone that's doing well I'll add them to Friend List and send a tell next time I want to set up a group. If you don't get offers for group, maybe you're in that first category and people are choosing mercs over you.

Sometimes I don't mind carrying people, but other times I want to enjoy a good group and be efficient with my time which means I don't tolerate underperformers.
  11. Ryanxp Augur

Gribbles is essentially endgame. I assumed you hadn't reached qualifications for that yet...
    If you're getting burned out on Gribbles, I'm not sure if telling you that there's more to come is the right answer. Gribbles easily was my association with grouping. They do get monotonous, but they still allow your character to fulfill in their grouping role.

On Zek, I moloed, did Teek daily, and did mass zonewide genocide, until learning about Deadhills

My initial fascination with this game was putting out the effort and seeing end results. But you'll find it very similar to your lack of enjoyment if killing hundreds of monsters in repetition gets monotonous. But it was always that theme with this game. With EoK and RoS xpacs, you will find groups and you'll take on some of the hardest content.
    slayerofbats likes this.
  12. slayerofbats Augur

Yea the harder content sounds more fun, and being able to do it in a group would be so nice. Gribbles I have to do alone because there is nobody to group with at level 80 something. It takes me half hour of tedium for about 2 bubbles of yellow. So I have to do an hour and a half to get from 81 to 82, then same again to get to 83 and same again to get to 84 etc.. Just so I can do it 11 more times to have a chance at finding people to group with. Not very fun!
  13. Inca Lorekeeper

It has taken Incarnated about 16 years to get to the 107 she currently is. It has been plenty of fun meeting all the crazy and cool people I have grouped with.

Add in the huge pool of groupmates gibberjabbering in /general....never lonely.
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Gribbles is not "endgame". Gribbles gives you an STD. It's the absolute worst boring way to level. It's mindless.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Gribbles as end game lol.
  16. slayerofbats Augur

It is really boring, but is there better way to exp than gribbles (or similar HAs?) I tried to just grind mobs but it was pretty slow exp.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Depends how you define "better". If just meaning "faster" then maybe not. But even then, I have a feeling that full groups of well geared and skillful players get XP much faster in other places than Gribbles. So, the answer, as in so many things is life where complexity exists is, it depends ;)

So the main variables are, how many in the group, what gear, what skill level? Oh, and what class make-up? I have a feeling there are examples for almost all these combos which are better than Gribbles.

Another question.... you said "I tried to just grind mobs". Was this solo/molo? I thought the thread was about grouping.
    slayerofbats likes this.
  18. slayerofbats Augur

Yea I multibox and sometimes have some mercs, sometimes without. But I really want to play with people and there is nobody to play with until 95+ maybe even 100+ or maybe even 105+ now. So I just wanna get up there now. I spent a lot of time questing and enjoying all the different stuff in the game, but playing by myself got old.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I see what you're getting at. Here's my post from August '16:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/ding-dong-the-grind-is-dead.234524/

I'd say, just do the most efficient stuff you can, to get to 105. Once you're there, then groups should be easier to find. And just skip AAs for now. You'll get everything through 100 auto-granted anyway. Get to 105, then worry about AAs.

As you can see, I did very little grinding, since I didn't play that much in a day, so most of what I did was under Lesson. And if you skip the AAs I made in that time, the leveling itself will go quick. To put that in a more recent perspective, I went from 105.10 to 105.98 two weeks ago, over 5 days, just doing a few Teek dailies (Hotzone, not HA), and burning a Lesson at a decent XP spot. Leveling itself is pretty quick nowadays. But mix it up, HAs, Teeks, a could grind spots which also get you some other benefit. For example, I did a bit of grinding at the Arena in Shard's Landing in October. The XP was decent, I could level my Alaran Tear, and the mobs dropped collectibles which I needed. That idea, so that grinding isn't JUST grinding, but accomplishing something else, too.
  20. Ryanxp Augur

True.

In my recent experience, I would do similar of Tatanka: Teek daily and/or 3 Dead hills (lesson going before turn-in completion), and call it a day. But reversely, I also would make a good stopping point once my buffs faded.. Because, it is easy to get worn down with this game, and its also a good idea, at least for me, to have taken a step back from all the "politics" of EQ. I mean, I create comic books as an odd job, published some, and show them at convention shows year-round, and getting back into playing was just a life circumstance: since I have the free time and am engaged, what better way to "waste time" than get back into gaming (ever since the time I left EverQuest, LDoN xpac, up until 2015, I got away from gaming due to just not having the time: with school, work, my art, and socializing).

The same is said with which server you're on. Zek has roughly 50 people in General on average. Whereas Fennin Ro, Xegony, Bristlebane, Vox, are averaged from 200 - 300. I play on Fennin Ro, and the grouping typically really starts around 80, where you post in General and will find someone within 30min - 1hr.

Once you reach 100, it'll be much easier, with groups that'll invite you for EoK..

If its the tediousness that's getting to you now, you will see less of it, but you'll remain bored. If its not an issue with you, then I'd definitely suggest playing the game you enjoy and sticking with it. But if it is an issue, I'd highly recommend finding a more interactive game or source. You know, One giant thing that eased me into gaming more with EverQuest was doing all my questing at the local coffeeshop. But hey, that was me
    slayerofbats likes this.