Is EverQuest worth returning to?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by The Riddler, Jun 30, 2018.

1. The Riddler New Member

Just as the post title says, is EverQuest worth returning to? I have the current expansion never played it, and I haven't played in a while, mostly just bought the expansion then forgot about it.

I would be playing on a regular live server, and I don't know how the population is doing and how much content is really being produced and etc. If I could get some opinions from the community that would be great.
  2. Thexder Journeyman

It is good, lots of content, new expansions still come along, not the hugest population but enough to group and raid if you join a populated server and join a guild. The budget is not big, it means there are bugs that take forever to fix, patch days are usually a catastrophe, support and communication is not great, the game and the tools that go with it are very basic, you can't transfer characters to another account anymore, there is a lot of pay to win and a lot of pay for basic quality of life and fun things that really should be free or at least cheaper, and there is a whole lot of stuff people would like but we can't get because they only have a small dev team. All of this is due to low budget and not the highest population. They really should do better at all this, they waste a lot of money on other games and their only big longterm hit is EQ which is pretty neglected. But besides all that, it is a fun game and you should play :p
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  3. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

If you are over lvl 100, then you already know what to expect: the population hasn't grown. If you are under level 100, then you won't be able to do anything worthwhile from the last 5(?) expansions. Your best bet is to make friends or sell some kronos for powerleveling to 110 and AAs, and to buy yourself gear. Trying to do it on your own, if you aren't boxing, probably won't happen.
  4. frankie78227 Augur

Unless you have higher level friends who are willing to help you level, don't even bother.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You're just a ray of sunshine, ain't ya?

Yes. It's worth returning. frankie is obviously a dissenter whose experience is his own, and not the experience of pretty much anyone else I know.

You get out what you put in. If you make an effort to meet people, shake hands, make conversation, you'll do fine. If you sit on the sidelines muttering about how unfair life is.....temper your expectations. :)
  6. Gigantasaur New Member

I've recently returned to the game and really enjoying it. Right now I have a few characters around 70 and I can usually find a group with my guild. I haven't purchased any Kronos and haven't run into any pay walls so far, so I'm my opinion it's totally worth returning to.
  7. Thexder Journeyman

I agree with him a lot more than you. It is 105 levels of no grouping for most people through no fault of their own. Yeah you can try to make friends with guilds but the high level guilds can't play with a newbie and wouldn't want to. You might find the occasional person who has an alt that will goof around with you one night but you aren't going to get regular groups. The only chance is finding a newbie guild that has a lot of mid level people that want to group, but not all servers have that and even the ones that do, don't always have enough people to make grouping a regular thing. It also depends on time zone.

Doing 105 levels as a newbie is brutal. It takes ages and it is painfully grindy and can be very hard. Most high level players today have no idea how the game actually is to play, because they rode along on the high level wave with everyone else, and now they can PL their twinks to max level in a week. For a true newbie it is a completely different story.

It is possible to do, even as f2p, but it isn't always enjoyable and not everyone will want to subject themselves to that much mindless grind all for the vague promise that they might get to group with people at 105+. If you enjoy exploring and are in no hurry and don't mind some grind, and are happy to pay for strong mercs and/or box, then it would be worth giving a shot. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
  8. frankie78227 Augur

Yes, I am a Ray of sunshine and my experience is my own. I stopped paying and playing because DB nerfed HA XP and did nothing to improve mercenaries. I didn't have time to play full time anymore so pretty much HA's were what I had left. I was in an excellent guild but am not the type of person to bother others to help me level. Most people are busy during their play time and have their own accomplishments to achieve. I refuse to use 3rd party software so boxing more than a couple toons is out of the question. My tank/healer mercs couldn't cut it for current content so to me EoK/RoS (which I had purchased) was a waste of money.

Maybe you don't know anyone who shares my feelings because they no longer play either. Now if I get the urge to play I log into Test and run around for a bit as the game is no longer worth my money.

I only really come to the boards to see if any changes have been made to mercenaries or HAs but when someone asks a question I try to answer it honestly.
    NameAlreadyInUse and Thexder like this.
  9. bigpapa Augur

firiona vie got a permanent 50% xp bonus , bonus xp like the one we have atm { 76 % } stack.

it still a lot of work to grind, but with a 50 % xp who is always there , it is much faster to level.
  10. Elskidor Augur

Some classes are more molo friendly and it can be done that way entirely from start to finish, but it is so mind-numbing you may give up from a burnout long before level 100. I have gone this route with a mage until 105 and it's doable and faster than many other classes, but still grindy as heck even on FV. Maybe if xp gained was severely boosted until level 100 or mercs were made stronger until 100 it might be new character friendly, but it's not a ton of fun without a friend or two and likely a box.
  11. Shanarias Augur

I guess my experience is different. I have a lvl 55 Cleric on Xegony, and it is my main. I found out the difference between an f2p Tank Merc and an apprentice one. It is just me and my merc, and last night I went to Teek, and tried a hot zone with the exp boost for the weekend, and it was awesome! I had never been to Skyfire, and the drops and exp were exquisite! But the reason my experience is different, is that I decided early on, to smell the roses and enjoy the ride. I like to level, sure, and I am now half way to 110 and all, and just got a new spell slot at 55.

I intend to be an awfully good cleric by the time I get to 100. I think this is the way to do it. If someone asks me to group with them, I give it a try. If they are stupid, I let them know I am leaving in 15 minutes. And I leave in 15 minutes, and no hard feelings. I am there for fun, and not stress.
    moogs and frankie78227 like this.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

frankie, my point is why are you flinging your venom at any positive post you come across? You're unhappy that EQ today isn't what it used to be.I get it. I yearn for the days when Gfay was absolutely packed with people and the /ooc text in EC flew by so fast you couldn't see what was being auctioned. They are fantastic memories I will cherish forever.

What I disagree with in the overall sentiment of your posts is that nothing in the present can measure up. Get out there, be where the people are. Make friends. Stalk them (gently).

I can promise you that your current attitude won't win you the kind of experience you seek. Maybe it's time to push away from EQ (or gaming in general) and find a new hobby. Return to Norrath when you're ready. We'll be here. :)
    Shanarias and Adonhiram like this.
  13. frankie78227 Augur

I'm not seeking a return to EQ. I spend my entertainment budget on other things now. I would come back if they reversed the XP nerfs to older content or upgraded the mercs to the point I could use my 105 2 box in EoK.

Nothing will bring back older EQ and the TLP servers were nothing but krono farms when I tried those.

The OP asked a question and for opinions, I simply replied with my feelings.

14. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I love that you are enjoying EQ and I hope that you continue to enjoy it! I just want to point out that you are still in the "easy mode", fast-moving part of the game, especially if you've been playing Crescent Reach and following those tasks. You are only just starting to get to the real grind. I would be very interested to hear how (if) your perspective changes in another 15-30 levels :)
    frankie78227 likes this.
  15. Elskidor Augur

You're having way in level for sure, but the xp required to reach level 110 would likely put you needing level 90 or higher being at the actual half way mark. Good luck. The early game is fun and easy going, however those mercs will fall hard before long.
    frankie78227 likes this.
  16. 22wplkj Lorekeeper

You need a group of friends, a good guild, or a multi box team to progress in EQ. You might find the friends or the guild or you might not. Multi box can be done but there is content I just can't do while boxing. Still, I like EQ and am still here. I do what I can and accept the limitations.

EQ is best when grouped with other players but it lacks grouping tools. Other games find a group for you through dungeon finders. You can even be a casual raider with raid finder functions. Those tools work very well but are missing here. That is made up for in EQ by some of the best game play I have experienced in an MMO.
    Shanarias likes this.
  17. Geroblue Augur

I have been here since 2004. I still game here, taking my time, exploring and gaming. The game is what you make of it.
    moogs and Shanarias like this.
  18. IblisTheMage Augur

Still The Greatest Game Ever Made.

If people do not enjoy it, then it isn’t for them.

If they stay on the boards, speaking ill of the game, even after they have left the game, then this speaks for itself. I had a GF like that once. She did not enjoy that new GF did not see all the flaws that she herself saw in me, and actively spent energy in trying to persuade new GF of her opinions. Not sure what the term for that is.
    Junck and Adonhiram like this.
  19. Aurastrider Augur

EQ is what you make of it. Personally I see past the need to be in current end game and just enjoy EQ for EQ. The exploration, treasure hunt, achievements, economics, trade skills, connections with other players, learning new classes, learning how to better play my current class, the art work even though not "high end" still gets me excited when I see a mount, illusion, familiar, npc or anything else I have never encountered. Overall the game is worth coming back to if you can find things within your own limitations that you enjoy doing. If you left the game because you did not enjoy it any more odds are it is still the same game you left with some new content and gear. If you left because of reasons not related to disliking the game I would say return and pick up where you left off at.
    Moone, Geroblue and Shanarias like this.
  20. Tenka New Member

I came back after many years (maybe 10?) and I've been having a lot of fun. My character is only level 62. I've not really been in a rush to level, I'm enjoying seeing all the empty level 60 zones across Norrath with another level 60 friend.