Is EQ worth investing money into in 2016?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gyurika Godofwar, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

This is going to be a bit long but here goes.

As a long term player that has played for 13 years+ and nearly 10 years without a significant break I am suffering from severe burn out and boredom.

I've spent the last 5.5 years on Test and 3 years simultaneously on FV. I spent a lot up to mid 2015 between expansions, subs, Marketplace stuff and LoN. I've raided and I've done the group grind many many times. I've seen the game change a lot both in good ways and bad ways.especially in the last few years.

A lot of changes to my preferred classes upset me so I tried to keep it fresh by changing mains and changing box crews but every time I get comfortable it seems like something else changes.

The last few expansions were either too small or too lack luster to keep me interested. I had high hopes for EoK but it just doesn't cover anywhere near as much of Kunark as I had hoped. I guess I should have known better but it is what it is.

With my limited income I have a hard time justifying spending money on EQ especially when I tend to want to play 2-3 characters at a time to be self sufficient and a beneficial member of a guild and any groups I may be a part of.

So what can I do or should I try to regain my passion for EQ and is it worth my $35 for two or three accounts or is there another viable
    option to "make EQ ?"
    Yimin likes this.
  2. Critts Augur

Prehaps playing EQ2 might work for you. If your not haveing fun playing I would suggest taking a break or maybe cutting your play time way back keeping only one sub. There are a ton of good games out there that don't take a Sub to play. I recently bought a collection of old PC games for $4 They are old and laughable by today's standards, but are great distractions from EQ when I feel burnt out or just want to do something different.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Thraine Augur

I felt the burn out back in 2007-08 .. so i quit playing EQ for about 5 years straight, now im back and its fun again. I counldn't even guess the state of EQ in another 5 years but thats what i did. Good luck finding your fun :)
    Mostcus, Sancus and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  4. Kanenial New Member

This is the question. From an economic standpoint, if you do not get the joy from the game that your purchase power can buy, then don't buy it.

I would suggest not buying the expansion and letting your subscriptions expire. After a month or a year come back and see if you want to play again.

This is more a question of the meaning of playing a game that costs money against what you could do with that money if you don't play.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Felicite like this.
  5. Reht The Dude abides...

Give WoW a shot if you haven't, the new expansion is pretty amazeballs. Look at it as an experiment: you will either love it and wonder why you didn't quit sooner or you might get reinvigorated for EQ when you realize that no matter bad EQ1 has become there are some things that no other game has really captured that keeps people coming back in spite of <stuff>. Either way, good luck!
    Sancus and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  6. Drusi Augur

I quit EQ for a few years but you always come back to your first real love (well UO came first but that was puppy love).

If you do not have the income then work on that first and find some free hobbies.

That said EQ remains an inexpensive vice for most of us.
    Mostcus and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  7. tysonwritesel Journeyman

Investing money in? It's a video game.
    Mostcus and noclue like this.
  8. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Yes and it costs money to play it fully and to access new content.

Thanks for the input guys. I will think it over and am also very open to any constructive advice or suggestions anyone may have.
  9. Kravn Augur

At the very most EQ costs about $210/ year to play, per account. That is $30 for the expansion and the max of $15/mo sub rate.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can easily kill $210 in a single nights' bar tab. EQ is pretty cheap when you look at the big picture.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare, Thraine and Irken like this.
  10. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I'm sure for some folks $210 is no big deal but for me I'm on a limited income and can't just burn through $210 on a whim. Not to mention $210 can get you a lot of other things that may be more beneficial in the long run. So I have to weigh the value of the money I spend to see if it's worth it for me or whether I should spend it elsewhere.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. WebNinja New Member

Everyone has gone through a spell where EQ isn't exciting. There is a ton of content but sometimes it gets old because when it comes down to it, it's all still the same game day in and day out. I've taken a few breaks since the release but eventually adventure back months afterwards.

What I do, is have a monthly subscription to Humble Bundle. I'm not sure if you have heard about it, but it's like $10 a month and you get about 10ish games in Steam a month. Of course, they pick the games, it's usually promo games like their sequel is about to come out or games that just went into beta so they are trying to get more players playing it. But it's usually good games and not crap they are just trying to pawn off on people. I just collect them up every month in Steam, and when I get bored with EQ, I'll go in find a game in the list and play it. Right now, I have over 200 games in there and have only played probably 15. Although, there are still a lot of them that look good. Just haven't got to them. This is a great way to just break away from EQ into another game for a while without having to worry about buying another game.

Now, I usually always have at least 1 paid sub going just because I like to go in here and there and talk to guildies and if anyone needs help, help them. I know you can have a free account too, but I have a lot of prestige gear going on. Plus, getting on and helping people gets you doing some quest or adventure that you normally wouldn't do yourself and breaks up the daily grind. There have been multiple times where I help someone with a quest and get back in from a break because I need to do it on my box accounts, lol.

While on break and having only the 1 paid sub, I do try to keep around a separate set of gear that's not prestige in the bank on box alts. Just in case I need help with something too. No sense in paying the monthly sub if you only need help with one quest.
  12. lancelove Augur

Eliminate any beta / test server. Let them create an expansion that is a complete surprise and let people then figure it out after they have worked out the bugs...that would recreate that new car smell.
    Only thing you can do really though is just quit playing for a bit then come back.
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

Even with the beta server we still figure and re-figure it out as they work out bugs long after it's gone live.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  14. lancelove Augur

I will elaborate what I meant to say, and that was Eliminate Beta testing for players, as well as the test server. ;) There as there are no spoilers to the expansions. Now that would be something to see!
  15. kookoo Augur

I got some alts ( level 105 ~~4 box in FV ) and get a lot of plats selling group stuff , and buy kronos to pay my accounts,
    I don't know what level are your toons and what class they are , you could probably get some plats selling raw crypt armors, renmants of tranquility , augments , powersource , collectibles ,ect.....
  16. Millianna Augur

The answer is NO at this point. The new expansion replaces new levels with inflated AA cost. They spent more time talking about the art work rather than the gameplay during there beta promo video. Wait until the new expansion has been out for a few weeks before deciding.
  17. AlmarsGuides Augur

While I'll say I think you'll get more enjoyment 6 boxing rather than 3 boxing and you should do it, I don't think you should do it now.

You're not having fun and spending more money on something that you're not having fun with will only irritate you and frustrate you further.

I don't recommend WoW since the game is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY different than what an MMORPG should be in this day and age. Some people probably like the action adventure road WoW is taking, I hate it. I like the more slower paced "thinking" games. I have never been a fast paced run and gun kinda person. In most FPS games, I am the sniper. I am sure some feel differently of course, WoW appeals to many.

When I get bored of EQ I usually go back and beat old RPGs for consoles I missed. Right now I am beating Star Ocean and FF V for the SNES. You may not enjoy that, so I will recommend an MMORPG for you called Archeage. It's free to play and has Apex which are essentially kronos. You can build/buy houses, small ones, villas, cottages, mansions, you can build and control boats, ride across the open sea and kill people out in the sea, wage pirate wars, you can become a pirate.

You can murder people of your own faction and go to jail, you can grow crops and make a farm.

It's a very interesting and under recognized game. If WoW isn't your style, give archeage a google.
  18. Drusi_AB New Member

I primarily play EQ2, but poke around in EQ from time to time, but I've been through similar experiences with games I've played for a long time. There are two basic branches to this mood: I'm tired of the game I've been playing, but still in the mood to play games *or* I'm tired of the game I've been playing and I really want to do something *anything* besides play games.

If you're still in the mood to game, why not check out either EQ2 or DCUA (or whatever the acronym) or Planetside 2 as all of these games come with the subscription you already have. Just playing something *different* for a while can help freshen things up until and if you are ready to go back to EQ1. You're already paying, so get the most out of your subscription. You may end up liking one or all of these games.

Then there are loads of single player games you could try that are extremely fun if you decide you want to cut the subscriptions entirely for a while.

If you're just sick of playing games, then maybe there are a bunch of books you've wanted to read or movies/TV series to catch up on, or maybe you want to spend time fixing up the house if you have one or spending more time with RL people. Sometimes a break from games entirely can really freshen the mood when you go back to playing.

In any case, the very *worst* thing you can do is stubbornly and persistently keep playing a game you're entirely burned out on because the problem won't get any better and will just continue to get worse and worse. Don't do that to yourself.
  19. YellowBelly Augur

I hope so. I've spent too much to admit trying to get the silly Jade Tiger familiar.
  20. Kanenial New Member

I don't believe this is the case. Eliminating the beta server just means that there would be little real testing of raids and other content and would happen on live so there would be a month or 2 extra before all the bugs are worked out.

Since Everquest is so much older than the new games out, I am guessing that the coding to make things happen is a little different and perhaps a little more clunky than some of the newer games that are out.

There also seems to be more moving parts than in some of the other games I play online.

There is no one fix for this. There has always been a beta. It does seem to be more of an Open beta than it has been in the past now tho. Perhaps they are not getting enough people into it the other way anymore. It is something to think about.