Is a Thornblade+Mischief merge needed?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Klissar Silverspine, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Pappasalt Augur

Are you suggesting a 64 bit database wouldn't have more memory cache and all for limitations vs a 32bit?
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Thornblade is fine. Zero reason to merge just because of freaking price changes on krono lol. And let's not forget that 6 weeks ago krono were at 500k.

And Thornblade is not an "overflow" server. They said they were making ONE server, Mischief. People argued that 1 server only would be bad, would be overpopulated, etc, and they listened. And then they launched 2 servers at once. The only reason more people chose Mischief is that it was named earlier and people presumed (correctly) that more people would start there.
    Nolrog and Yinla like this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am suggesting that the change did nothing for the limits on the server. Heck we already have seen plenty of posts suggesting that it did nothing for performance on live servers as there is still plenty of lag.
  4. Captain Video Augur

A 64-bit server engine means that 64-bit data structures are now possible, it doesn't mean the code automatically reprograms itself to change those data structures. Development work is required to make such things happen. It's not clear what conversions were done, or even attempted, at the initial switchover from 32-bit to 64-bit engine.
    Zanarnar likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

From the amount of time the cutover took and the number of times it switched back on beta I would guess there wasn't much done besides compiling the code as 64 bit versus 32 bit.
  6. Gormgeous Elder

After reading some of the negative sentiment regarding Yelinak and Vaniki, I wouldn't be shocked if mischief/thornblade grew after May 25, 2022.
    Legends and Truetotheblue like this.
  7. Cideral Lorekeeper

krono prices have nothing to do with merge need; the historically repeated pattern of player count drops after pop is. the avalanche has already begun, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
  8. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

To date, I only personally know two people that are leaving Mischief for one of the new TLPs. One is going alone, he likes the "fresh classic" flavor. The other is moving with members of his guild. He said two other raiding guilds are merging with theirs for the move, but when we spoke a few days ago, they only had enough to fill one 72-man raid. Even so, none of those guilds are the biggest guilds on the server, and that small population drop does not an avalanche make.

Really, it's too soon to tell, whether you are right and server population on Mischief takes a dive, or I'm right, and it's not even going to make us blink.
    Legends likes this.
  9. FranktheBank Augur

The answer is yes, they needed to merge this summer.
    Unfortunately, they will not be merging. Merges are announced and known about months in advance (Like phinny/miragul).
    Hopefully by summer 2023 they merge. Fortunately, this is before HoT/VoA release. Without player housing, the merge should be much easier.

1 more year of mischief support 2 servers economically.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. JustAnotherOpinion Augur

I wonder how Thornblade players feel about a future merge. Thornblade's EC tunnel was practically dead around 9:00 pm, whenever I checked in on the server out of curiosity. Players were /shout'ing for ports over and over again without any porting classes at the tunnel entrance. Is a lowly populated server still fun if you can't find players to rep at a moments notice? Where is Pappasalt to answer these questions? I need answers!
  11. Legends Elder

Yeah, sadly these servers are Miragul levels of bad.
  12. Pappasalt Augur

It's kind of in between "we don't NEED it atm" but we also "can't wait another year"
  13. Zanarnar Augur

Ya, this is the downside of a once-yearly merge window. Right now? I'm playing on Thronblade and its fine. 8 months from now? I'm guessing its going to be hurting. The expansions coming after OOW tend to be population killers. We could really use a merge around January 2023, as by that point it will be nothing but a positive for both servers... but that seems off the table.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

The new phinny clone was destined to be a bit of a let down post Free Trade but it will still be popular with the farmers and the rerollers.
    Vaniki might be a meh, but if the claim rewards are enticing enough people will play on it just for the FOMO.
    Miragul had neither of those things going for it.