Increase Bazaar Cap

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Wudanar, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Gialana Augur

My memory's a little fuzzy on this, but I think when the new bazaar was introduced, the quantity slider only allowed you to set a price up to 1M platinum. I definitely remember reading about people who changed the price in their local files to something closer to 2,147,483 pp. At some point, the bazaar UI was changed so that you can use the slider to set a price of 2,000,000 pp. Can we still increase the max price by 147,483 pp in the local file? I've never tried, even when the UI slider did not go to 2M.
  2. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

I used to think this was false until very recently, when I found a place with easy mobs that drop lots of plat per kill. to avoid a nerfing, that I fully expect to happen anyway, I will not mention the place, mobs, or plat amount. Besides, as far behind as I am normally about discovering things, I am sure lots of people already know. This does not involve an exploit of a bug as far as I can tell, and I use no third party programs, and molo the mobs as a 120 Rogue, with only a couple of pieces of raid gear, and a max AA J5 healer merc.
  3. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

Same concept as radar detectors and the people who use them, and those that manufacture them.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Be nice if they raised like to be able to buy krono's from traders.
    Sup Rog and FranktheBank like this.
  5. Syclones New Member

I do not care what they have to do. I hate having to manually try and sell items. I pay for a vendor account with perks for a reason. I do not care if the item takes a week, month, or year to get sold. So long as I do no have to auction it off in chat cause I am unable to sell the item for market value.
  6. Syclones New Member

I also hate to haggle..... my vendor is always offline and either you buy it or you do not...But I do not get tells with your life story why you should pay less than I want to sell it for...
  7. Ozadar Elder

Increase the caps. I've sold a few ice encrusted that could have gone for more that 2 million plat, but did not want to spam in POK or general for hours to get it. Recommend setting it to 9,999,999. No need to add another digit to the code. Just raise the limit.

Ozadar of Zek.
  8. Sup Rog Elder

On FV there is a big need to raise the limit. Some items can sell for 60M+.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  9. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

If they re-envisioned the Noble, they could do this. The Noble never caught on, because the buyer inherently HAS TO LOSE MONEY. There's no reason for that, besides the way merchants and item costs are coded.

On the other hand, they could alter the price of the Noble to be a flat 100k, and add method of exchange that produces an alternate currency. Said alternate currency could gain a place right above "Platinum" in the UI. That currency could then be used to buy/sell from the Bazaar and it could be sold to a (or any?) merchant for 100k plat.

This takes the whole issue of 1 plat = 100 gold = 1000 silver = 10000 copper issue and does away with it. Because it is taking the value from one system and introducing it to a new system, that system isn't limited by the previous constraints. It also provides them a way to move forward in terms of currency. So maybe base = Copper Noble = 100k plat. Next tier = Silver Nobel = 1 Million plat. Next Tier = Gold Nobel = 100 Million plat. Top tier = Platinum Nobel = Whatever is needed by that time?

With similar structure, the bazaar would then be able to expand from a 2m plat cap to a 2m Gold Noble cap. Effectively 200 BILLION plat, with still another tier to be defined later if needed.

Every time I've seen this discussion, it has involved alterations to the current system (Which is insanely difficult in terms of scope), rather than changing streams to a different system (that doesn't involve a net loss of plat like the original Noble attempt). It's still a lot of work, but you can provide a new system, based off of the existing system.. but not directly tied TO the existing system. It requires an intermediate step, sure, but when people are talking about values at that rate, it's only a matter of adding functionality to the personal banker system and an occasional visit to do some conversion. (Since everyone has access to a banker on every toon anywhere in game thanks to Vet AA's being passed out, accessibility shouldn't even be a factor)

I'm not being super detailed about it, because I think there's a lot of room for the development team to make decisions. Just trying to toss out a general concept.
    Janakin likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

While it sounds like a great idea to have the noble be used as a currency in the bazaar they would still have to update it to support it as a currency and in the long run I think fixing the current cap would be better. Even if you remove the losses on purchasing and selling a noble you still have to deal with the fact that players would have to make a separate transaction to get that currency and another to convert it back to plat. Would be better in the long run when they can just fix the cap.
  11. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Everyone has access to a banker and merchant EVERYWHERE in the game, at least once per day.

There are merchants and bankers literally all over Norrath.

Most transactions would be involving the Bazaar, where there are several bankers and merchants.

I used the term "Noble" because it was the failed attempt of previously adding an alternative to Plat, don't get too hung up on it.

Have any General merchant, anywhere, be able to sell an item. Let's call it a BooGoo.

A Copper BooGoo costs 100k plat.

A Copper BooGoo can be converted to a Copper GooBoo by any banker. One click and done.

A Copper GooBoo can sell for 100k plat to any merchant.

A Copper GooBoo can be used as a form of currency in the bazaar.

You have 180m plat. ONE TIME you convert 160m plat into some form of BooGoo (Copper @100k, Silver @ 1m plat, Gold @ 100m plat). All in all, that will be 1 click to buy a gold, 1 click to buy 60 silvers, and 1 or 2 clicks to convert to GooBoo's.

Now you have 1 Gold GB, 60 Silver GB's, and 20m plat on your character.

Adding this functionality, as well as adding it as a viable currency to the Bazaar, is significantly less work than say.. removing copper as the base coin and adding a tier above platinum.

It would take folks a matter of seconds to convert hoards of plat into a different form, for use almost exclusively in the bazaar. Having a platinum value attached to GB's and not BG's negates the value loss due to merchant code as well as providing a "simple" means of switching from the newer currency to the old currency.

"Just fixing the cap" has been an excuse for far too long. It is too entwined into the game to "just fix" and you'll be seeing the same complaints for the next 20 years because of it. This utilizes portions of many systems already existing in EQ, requires a couple minor UI tweaks, 6-8 new DB items, a bit of coding added to Bankers, a sell line to General Merchants, and adjustment to Bazaar code to utilize. Of all of that, the most difficult is adding a different currency type to the Bazaar, sufficient enough to be distinguishable from the existing currency.

I'd be willing to bet that redoing the bazaar code, while challenging, would be much easier than "just fixing the cap" or they would have fixed the cap years ago.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure you can access merchants to change your plat/gold/silver/copper into a new type of currency for use in the bazaar but that doesn't mean it is a good solution to the problem. Either you have the devs adding in a new currency type to the bazar or you have them working to lift the cap. I would guess that most players would prefer the cap to be raised instead of having to trade to yet another currency in order to do trades.

If it was that easy to add a new currency to the bazar why did they not do it already with nobles?
  13. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Because Nobles flopped basically from Day 1 due to implementation and the plat loss incurred by purchasing them? Nobles were their "solution" to the inflation occurring in the game and it failed miserably. No one wanted to have to lose out on 100k to buy 1m worth of Nobles. Especially when Krono already served that purpose, with more benefit and no plat loss for 2 years prior:

Nobel patch notes

Krono launch page 2012

In sort. They tried, poorly, and failed miserably to create an alternate means and just left it at that rather than addressing the issue any further.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And part of the reason Nobles flopped is you couldn't use them in the bazaar for transactions they had to be used in player to player transactions where there isn't a cap to worry about or you could use krono which are more valuable.

If it was that easy to add in a new currency for use in bazaar transactions they would have done that with krono or noble which already exist in game.