Incentivising Achievements

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sokon, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Sokon Augur

The achievement system in the game is fantastic. It gives you a good idea of what you should work on and how to acquire certain items each expac launch and has alot of utility in those regards.

In the past, older expansions received some achievments like hunter, traveler and conqueror.

Some players in Everquest do achievements just to get the achieves, but those players are few and far between. I have only ever done achieves that gave some kind of item, progression AA or were required for something. I've never done achievements just to do them and have more achievement points or a higher number of completed achievements.

Seeings how there are a ton of achieves I have no incentive whatsoever to do, and as player health pools are approaching over 400 k hit points, would it make sense to add some kind of base incentive to completing achievements?

I was thinking something like a 1:1 hitpoint/mana/endurance per 1 achievement point. So the max someone could get would be around 40 k points or 40 k more health/mana/endurance, or nearly 10% more life, although that percent would diminish in the upcoming expansions as our health pools go up substantially compared to the number of achieve points we could get.

But, it would provide some kind of reward, some kind of incentive to do all the other achieves that otherwise grant nothing or serve no purpose other than listing the number of achieves or number of achievement points earned, which both stats mean nothing in and of themselves.

Doing something like this would return a lot of replayability to all the expansions in the game and might even lead the Devs to consider adding more achieves to old expansions where certain quests or other things with no overlying achievement associated with them already exist in the game.
    Jumbur likes this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

There are also a lot of questlines that (imho) should be an achievement. The prayer-shawl quest-line is long enough to qualify for example, and there are probably others too.

I personally think they should add more ranks to the journeyman compass, as a reward for those who complete keying for the locked zones(arx mentis, VP and mearatas etc).
    Andarriel likes this.
  3. KrakenReality Augur

No, this is pretty ridiculous. There are many achievements tied to the marketplace. Plus, you’re going to make it even worse for new, returning, casual, or any player starting an alternate character.

Also, stuff like this will forever drive people away from a PVP server, but at least you gave up on that idea.