In game Map - Extend to 2nd Monitor ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Redex, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Redex Journeyman

Would this be a good improvement you would like to see ?

Any other windows you would use on a 2nd monitor ? (quest, aa, character ...)
  2. Cakvala Augur

I don't know if this would be possible at all, we can have EQ in windowed mode but I dont think it can be extended past the window.

Great Suggestion though!
  3. Rafather Augur

I have found when I plug in my second monitor EQ crashes a lot more. It might have to do with playing on Windows 7 64bit like everything else since this game is horrible with new gaming rigs. Even with WinEQ2 and EQPlayNice running it crashes a lot more then when I only have the 1 monitor plugged in.
  4. Redex Journeyman

I just find with the increasing amount of eq information on the screen, it would be great to be able to move some off to an "always visible" monitor. Map is the first thing I would like to see uncoupled from the EQ instance.
  5. Ahnanna New Member

I'm using Win7 64bit and dual monitors and haven't had a crash in months now.

(Hope I didn't jinx myself)
  6. Numzan Augur

I use 3 monitors, for three games, I have i7 16gb of memory, dual 560ti cards, one tower playing EQ all the time. I have had all kinds of setups from the old school days of 99 to 2012, i have yet to have a single crash using multi monitors. I do say you need to figure out your configuration Hardware and look for a solution. New systems run nice, and i have have 0 problems playing 3 games at once. I also have windows Home premium 64 bit sp1. (edit)

I am a botter and i love it.
  7. Numzan Augur

TO OP,

I would love to see things like maps, quests, mobs, items such as magelo, right down to Alla's all would load into an app we could run from another monitor. Such a project would be huge, only companies like alla's and magelo could work together to make this work. But even if we had just maps organized in a single app. outside of the game i would be happy.
  8. Lighteningrod Augur

I would think /viewport should work.

For example, using dual 1440 x 870 monitors with a game resolution of 2880 x 870:

/viewport 1440 0 1440 870

1440 = x dimension in pixels to start drawing the viewport.
    0 = y dimension in pixels to start drawing the viewport.
    1440 = width in pixels of the viewport.
    870 = height in pixels of the viewport.

This should draw the game world with your character on the right monitor. You can then drag any UI elements out of the character view to the left monitor.
  9. Redex Journeyman

Very cool, I didn't know about that command. I played around a little bit and its a great work around.
  10. Shillingworth Augur

Well you really have no idea which monitor is left, right, up, or down from each other in code, at least not without stuff that will require user configuration or low-level APIs from graphic card vendors. However it is possible to tell which ones are in what order in your Windows/Driver config, and that information can be queried through Windows APIs and Direct3D APIs.

What I'd really like myself is a protocol we can use to fetch the information displayed by the UI, as well as trigger UI events (like button presses). has done this for a long time but has been vilified for the 3rd party plugins that enable cheating. Very tempting to use just to push things to my tablet and/or laptop like the map, some chat windows, buffs, bandolier, mercenary, and a few other UI elements I barely interact with but need available on-demand. Note: not saying does this stuff already, no idea if it does, just saying it's incredibly tempting as a side-project.
  11. FcsevenXIII Augur

I use a three monitor setup while I play though eyefinity. The middle monitor displays the game and the other two have chat windows and Inventory. /Viewport is the way to go.
  12. Mellifleur Augur

Would love to see a pic of this set up
  13. Redex Journeyman

I didn't know what eyefinity was, so here is what the AMD website says:

Supporting multiple independent display outputs simultaneously, AMD Eyefinity technology delivers innovative graphics display capabilities enabling massive desktop workspaces and ultra-immersive visual environments for the ultimate panoramic computing experience.

I'm not sure how this differs from regular windows 7 support of multi monitors, but perhaps it does something special ?
  14. Izcurly Augur

The difference is the SLS (single large surface) mode, which tells the OS that it's a single large monitor at the graphics card level, rather than the OS doing the spanning at the OS level. This means the OS and application are lied to about the number of monitors and the physical monitor size(s), which is what you need for multi-monitor full-screen support, or to avoid having cross-physical-monitor windows being snapped to the physical monitor borders when you don't want that.
    Redex likes this.