Immediate Crash After Logging In

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Oceanus, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Oceanus New Member

I decided after 11 years to go back to Norrath, so I dusted off my old account, figured out where my server had been merged to, and prepared to play.

I logged in, heard about eight quick notes of music, and then the game simply closed as though it had never been running.

So, that was a little disappointing.

Any idea what the problem might be here?
  2. Imake New Member

This happens to me too. The way I am able to work around it is to delete my eqclient file and then log in. I have also found that if I don't set the game to "windowed" mode, subsequent attempts to log in are successful with out removing the eqclient file.

I hope this helps. Very frustrating indeed.
  3. Kyreth Elder

There was also a patch today, so perhaps you caught it at the wrong time when the servers were down.
  4. Oceanus New Member

Perhaps, but this happened around one a.m. PST.
  5. Oceanus New Member

Thank you. I tried this, but it didn't work. It just went eight notes, then closed.

I couldn't figure out how to change out of "windowed" mode, though. Do I need to get into the game to change that?
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

Exactly where does the game crash? How far had you gotten into it?

Have you updated system with DX 9c? Dx10/11 are not backward compatible and system may be missing some necessary dx 9c modules. This does not overwrite the other files.

Set EQ shortcut with Admin privileges. Vista+, even if you are logging into an admin account, it does not give the permission to everything.
    Delete eqclient.ini
    Click on Advanced Tools on the launchpad (lower left)
    Click on Game configuration, run through it, setting default resolution to either 800x600 or 1024x768 (these are preset resolutions, it does not read what is available system-wise). Do this since XP, more systems will not run in 640x480 resolution, EQ default setting.
    Once in game, Alt O/display tab, Video and set to native resolution. Alt Enter will get ya in/out of full screen/windowed mode.
  7. Imake New Member

By deleting the eqclient file, you effectively turn off Windowed mode. As the default is OFF, and the eqclient file that downloads to replaced the deleted file contains all default settings.

Sorry this is not working for you. I know that other files can cause this issue. I think Googled the issue and found a suggestion to removed numerous files. I wanted to find the exact file, so tried deleting one at a time. Fortunately, the first on the list was the eqclient. You might have to try some other files.

Regardless, the Devs need to fix this defect.

This issue had been going on for me for at least a month now. Kind of a PITA when you are loading in more than one toon (2-box).