I'm old school but... (ornaments)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nickatropolis, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Nickatropolis Augur

Whats up with weapon/armor ornaments? This server is supposed to offer a "classic experience" while people are running around with weapon and armor graphics that look like they're from the Planes of Power (and beyond) raid mobs, and half the time they're just fine steel weapons or slightly better... whats up with that?
    Torvius and Fallfyres like this.
  2. Feradach Augur

Revenue stream for DBG, which is a good thing. We love this game. They need money to keep the game running. Marketplace stuff may ruin some immersion, but overall it's for the best.
    Tronk and Nickatropolis like this.
  3. Freki Augur

all you see is a skin, they do not have that weapon, armor or shield in actuality. same thing with the pet appearance wands. nothing added but graphic
  4. Eldrian Augur

It is unusual but I kind of like it. It's just a cosmetic change so doesn't offer an type of advantage. Graphics have already been revamped from old classic anyway so this just adds a little more flavor imo.
  5. Zublak Augur

Yeah I don't care for all that junk either, but it is what it is. I just choose not to buy it.
    Torvius likes this.
  6. Pikallo Augur

I agree that it sucks and looks way out of place, at least for the first 3-4 expansions. One of my favorite things was the unique look of items. I remember I was really disappointed when they introduced the armor dyes, but I realize ultimately it is for the best and started to embrace it.

For anyone who plays/played WoW - transmog is such a cool feature for any game that ages and has tons of different weapon and armor models.
    Fallfyres and Nickatropolis like this.
  7. Rhodz Augur

Dyes came out when I was part timing on Zek, oh yeah camo to blend into the background. That was a very good thing.
    As for calling DBG bucks a revenue stream I gotta just wonder what CPA came up with that one.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  8. Necromonious Augur

The heroes forge armor models look wayyyy better than the Luclin models. Keep in mind they spent some serious time on those, there has been at least 3 revisions (that I know about) to make the models look and animate better. I get what you are sayin with the Classic immersion factor, but lemme tell ya on Live you can really make your chars look awesome. I used to think I was good at making a "theme" with a combination of regular graphics and ornaments.....until Ive seen what other players can do
  9. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

Dyes came out long before the server mergers but yea the dye helped in certain situations esp for the already small races lol. Camoed gnomes errywhere!
  10. Rauven Augur

Mostly there to get around the magic property requirement of some mobs. Any item that takes an aug (ornaments are augs) take on all properties of said aug. Including magic tags.

What they really need to do is turn all ornaments into type 20 augs. Some are containers that are one use.
  11. Tarrin Augur

This isn't a classic server. Its a modern EverQuest server limited to classic zones.
    Tronk likes this.
  12. Hexaholic Augur

The server is a cash grab.
  13. Jent Elder

I love the ornaments. I would have bought them in 99, too.
  14. Mardy Augur

They look cool, and they're purely cosmetic and do not interfere with ingame economy. Nothing to worry about. There are bigger issues people should be worrying and complaining about.
  15. Banuvan Augur

I have a couple ornaments on my bards weapons. They are the same as my warriors weapons and i was just tired of seeing the same models. I found a nice looking 1HB and 1HS ornament set that i think looks nice so i snagged them with the 500 free DBG cash i get every month.
  16. Moebius8 Lorekeeper

I slapped them on the gear i didnt want to accidentally sell, they make it no drop and until we get bandolier it would suck to accidentally sell something i didn't want to sell but need handy for swapping around
    Jordis likes this.
  17. Torvius Journeyman

I saw something a few days ago that looked like a heart on a stick, was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Definitely not a fan
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  18. Necromonious Augur

Working as intended. They are meant to be one use in order to generate better profits, for DBG and for the creator (in case of player-made custom ornaments). If they were the other type u would only need to purchase them once forever
  19. Yara_AB Augur

While I would agree with that statement easily the only problem I see is the fact they make weapons magic who are not (but that was mentioned by someone else already).
    Later on in the game I think I couldn't care less about this - but especially while we are in original EQ still this changes the "feel" of the game game (think unrest where you might have sort of a "problem" with some mob types unless you find out that an ornament helps you out with that).

Of course - not a big problem - but still adding a strange feeling.
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  20. Maxe Augur

weapon augs you can buy from vendors in game for 30pp make them magic too. I can understand the not wanting to see the stuff, but you can also turn off Luclin models if you don't want to see them. It's a healthy stream of revenue that helps keep the game going, and I'm all for it. I am sorry if it bothers you guys though.