I'm curious to see how well a LITERAL, classic, EQ server would perform with today's standards.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sagarmatha, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

While I openly admit that I do not know the full details as I understand things there is a standing agreement in place between Daybreak & the P99 "management" which basically says they are fine to continue so long as they do not operate for financial gain or profit.

The new owners may wish to continue that, they may wish to stop supporting that, either way they aren't going to make changes like that to appeal to "classic fanatics" they will do it based on purely business appropriate reasoning. Your desire to see a classic EverQuest is passionate I can see from your posting but try not to let your zeal delude you into thinking you have any serious amount of influence or say in how the business is run because you don't and you run a high risk of overstepping the mark & getting yourself a forum ban or even a game ban if you start harassing EG7 employees.

You hardly endear anyone to your one man crusade if you speak so derogatorily about the players, forum users or employees of the companies involved in running the game, if anyone needs to grow up here you should be looking at the occupier of the seat you posted from.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Okay, I think it's time for your nap now. You've clearly lost it.

Nurse: "Sir, please hand me the laptop before you break it!"
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is a cry for help, I hope you get heard.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

/popcorn

Keep digging man, you'll be in Australia soon.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I don't defend P99 at all, simply explained your understanding of multiple things was way off base, if that got you triggered that's on you.

Have a nice day.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

Whoa dude.
    Calm down.
    You're not doing God's work.
    Forum Rules are not illegitimate rules slandering your righ to freedom of speech. Freedom of speech guarantees you the right from persecution form the government, it has nothing to do with you popping off at the mouth on a private companie's forum.

I highly highly highly doubt EG7 managed to spend 300m on DBG and not already be aware of P99, as Skuz said, they can continue to let them operate, or not, but there is no way they aren't aware of them.

Honest question, were you playing on P99 and then were recently kicked off, came to TLP since they are in the same era and were surprised that a TLP in classic expansions =/= Classic EQ?
    Bubossi, Genoane and Skuz like this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I would enjoy engaging in a battle of wits, however I refuse to continue when you are unarmed, have a good day sir.
  8. TheChosenOne Augur

lol.. a true classic server would have like 20 people active on it, and they would all be krono farmers locking down content
  9. TheChosenOne Augur

Exactly.. people are chasing an unattainable dream of nostalgia and feeling exactly the way they did over 20 years ago when they were probably a teenager playing this first of a kind game.. we had nothing to compare it to, there were no websites out with the content information on how to get places, where to go, what to camp, etc

You were dumped into the world with no direction and just had to figure it out, this game definitely had a very steep learning curve.. a new game coming out today in 2020 would never be successful with the hardcore grindy aspects that Classic EQ had.. because as you said, it bordered on player abuse with their rare spawn timers, rare drop rates, no /picks or AoCs, etc
    Skuz and Tweakfour17 like this.
  10. Febb Augur

The resources needed in order to roll a server back to classic would far outweigh the return it would ever get. This will never happen.
  11. TheChosenOne Augur

Yea... cause having to arbitrarily go waste HOURS of your time getting your body back was soooo much fun hahaha

Always 2 camps of people, the ones who think arbitrarily adding super tedious, grindy features to the game is fun and then people who have some semblance of a life and dont have 6 hours to recover their corpse in plane of fear
    Bobbybick, code-zero and Skuz like this.
  12. TheChosenOne Augur

You should start a GoFundMe to start up your true classic EQ server, then you and the other 12 people who would be interested can go have your community there

Also love the "but this game is about the community!!!!111!" comments. There is no community with no /picks, its just a giant cesspool of toxic kronolords and AE PLers monopolizing zones. There are so many box armies, etc that the community aspect of this game is all but dead compared to what it was back in 1999

Your server would last 2 weeks and then youd be lucky to see 10 active people on at any given time
  13. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

That's not at all what the word arbitrary means.

It's not random, it's a punishment for dying, in the same way losing XP is a punishment for dying. Having a higher penalty for death makes the game more enjoyable.

It's the same reason people like myself enjoy playing hardcore in games like PoE and Diablo.
  14. Triconix Augur

Well, that's an opinion. Having a more punishing death penalty results in a more fun game is not an objective truth. You may like it, but others don't. I think it's a boring waste of time.
    Dre., Skuz and TheChosenOne like this.
  15. TheChosenOne Augur

Hardcore mode in Diablo was a very tiny percentage of the player population. Mangler was supposed to be a "Hardcore" server and the GMs quickly reversed course before launch because they realize that most people don't want arbitrary time sucks built into the game to force you to commit more real life hours to accomplishing stuff.

The vast majority of people do not like that, while it sounds like you're more in the camp of the smaller percentage of the playerbase that would enjoy the longer, grindy and tedious aspects. DBG will continue to make decisions based on what they think will generate the most amount of profit, and I highly doubt a hardcore TLP server with oldschool EQ rules would be very profitable just from player interest/popularity perspective.

That doesn't even take into account that, as others have said, it would be virtually impossible to deploy a TLP with the original oldschool EQ code. Hiring a developer to try and dive in to reverse engineer it all and then build it out as a new project would be insanely expensive. They aren't going to allocate that much of a development resources time on a 20+ year old game for TLPs that make up 30% of their revenue and will inevitably become less and less profitable over time as each new TLP cannibalizes the others

As a company they would rather invest development into new games or more profitable games in their arsenal like EQ2, or Everquest Live server content, or their next EQ project
    Tweakfour17 and Skuz like this.
  16. FranktheBank Augur

Also it's pointless to compare against p99, because all the broke people who play there because it's free.
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  17. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Don't agree. The game would be much more enjoyable if they put corpse runs back in. With the way things are now there is effectively no punishment for dying and people don't really care if they die in game because of it. It's not the same as forcing players to grind 1000 frogs instead of 250 frogs, that's just tedious. The former is immersion building.
  18. FranktheBank Augur

Ain't nobody got time for that. I'm not 17 anymore. I got a kid and stuff.
    Barton and Skuz like this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You hold an opinion shared by a passionate & vocal minority about a niche game in a niche genre.
    A majority of players do not agree with you and I contend there are not enough enough players who hold the same viewpoint as you to support a single guild let alone a server that had such a feature.

As many players have strongly pointed out over many years, YOU can have a corpse run if you want it, all you do is take off all your gear & run to go get your corpse naked, that is something you can do for yourself that requires zero developer hours, zero code changes & hurts no other players.

But that's not what you want is it?

What you want is to force your ideal onto a server of other players who largely wouldn't want that and you feel justified in demanding it because in your eyes it makes for a better game.
    You are free to hold that opinion, but others are free to dispute its validity and the weight of opinions are against you.
    Tweakfour17 and MasterMagnus like this.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Just want to add a thought about corpse runs, from a classic necromancer's perspective.

It really is a drag that corpse runs were removed, when a necromancer has so many spells to locate and manipulate corpses.

I remember thinking I would help out people who needed their corpse but couldn't get back to it. Most of the time a little ankle biter with a stabby was dragging it, why?

I remember being so stoked when my guild helped me with Ishva Mal in Splitpaw, to get my summon corpse spell.

I remember sacrificing what I carried in my bags so that I always had 4 coffins available.

Corpse runs were a much more integral part, and interesting flavor of original EQ. They were mostly treated as an inconvenience over time. And now so many changes have happened, we can't really go back.

sigh...
    Skuz likes this.