I'm curious to see how well a LITERAL, classic, EQ server would perform with today's standards.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sagarmatha, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

No one would want this. Well, one guy would but no one else.
    Nolrog likes this.
  2. TheTone Elder

Classic EQ was cool because it was pretty much a brand new type of game, and it was fun to explore. It was fun to do tradeskills and off-the-wall quests and fully explore zones because you had no idea what was to become of it. Most of us didn't know (or care) that for Classic thru Velious, leveling was king and literally nothing else mattered.

MMOs are so commonplace now and the majority of us know Classic --> Luclin so that there's just no "exploring" left.

I tried P1999 and it was painful - the corpse runs were enough to make me only want to play a Necro (so I hardly ever die) and even then, I still hung up the pads after like lvl 25.

The only way a "classic" EQ could ever come back is if somehow they could revert us all to our 16-year-old selves when MMOs hardly existed and none of us knew that the key to victory was achieving max level and holding down the efreeti camp.

The next MMO to make it big, in my opinion, needs to diverge from the whole "exp'ing is king" mentality and introduce other aspects as similarly important.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  3. mackal Augur

You can get that ANCIENT alpha demo working on Windows 10 :p (I think it was like an e3 demo or something)
  4. Hateseeker Augur

Yea...I especially disagree with the idea that the bazaar isn't an improvement over yelling in EC. But, I don't think there's much merit in trying to improve EQ Live going forward, at this point it should be all about a new game. Pantheon, or if by some miracle Daybreak could actually make a new game, a new bona-fide EQ game. And not the game they were making with EQN. Some of things it was going to have? Sure, like open world building. The combat and lore-shakeups? no thanks-
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I would like to play through the old tutorial on Soandso and jump in the big hole after looting sapphires from level 1 skeletons.

Everything else hard pass.
    Punchu likes this.
  6. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

#1 Is the worst thing that ever happened to Everquest, reducing the death penalty so greatly is the single most immersion killing feature of modern EQ, it's an absolute tragedy.
  7. Kobra Augur

If I were to make a server that aimed to bring back the magic of classic EQ this is what I would do.

I would keep all the QoL improvements but add more classic content. Add new zones, change things up by revamping existing zones (remove old loot and replace with newer stuff). Add more raids with modern mechanics. Keep the pickzones, keep the instanced raids. Add new tiers of planar armor.

Up the damage/hps of the mobs to match modern player power.

Add more random danger, like high level mobs in low level areas. Expand the undead in kithicor concept to make it so higher level undead can spawn at night time in any zone (now you have a reason to bring necro to your group), make it happen randomly so you never know if you are truly safe.

Would be nice if all the classic dungeons could have a ldon system with scaling difficulty like they use in Diablo 3.

Probably too much work for all of this, but this is what I would like to see.
  8. Brunlin Augur

But you didnt say, NO............So, are you saying there is a chance........:p
  9. Ryder Lorekeeper

We already know what would happen.

Just go back in time to 2015 and read about Ragefire and Lockjaw.

1 guild would lock everything down.

Especially with old 7 day respawn times.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  10. Celatus Augur

P99is not classic played there for years had fun but not classic
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Can we have the banker back in Befallen?

Lets you take money out of the bank but didn't reduce your balance. Halflings cannot be trusted. LOL.
  12. Prathun Developer

That was a hoax, but it is true that halflings cannot be trusted.
    Sumonerr_Tunare and code-zero like this.
  13. -wycca Augur

Wasn't there something like 3 revamps of Befallen even before we got the version people think of as the original Befallen? Could have really been a banker in one of them!
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  14. Prathun Developer

We should make a Snopes for EverQuest rumors.

"Killing the creature in the submerged tower in South Ro forces the Ancient Cyclops to spawn." - False
    "Killing all the undead in South Ro at night forces the Ancient Cyclops to spawn." - Partially True
    "There was a banker in Najena / Befallen that generated platinum." - False
    "There was a banker in Befallen." - Unconfirmed
  15. mackal Augur

More please!
    Prathun likes this.
  16. Ltldogg Augur

Yes. And while at it, put together a list of all incomplete quest from early content and confirm or deny if they are even able to be completed :D
  17. mackal Augur

Apparently this rumor originated from a member of Flowers of Happiness on Rallos Zek edited an NPC to be a banker client side and took a screenshot of it.
  18. Risiko Augur

My memory must really suck because I remember the uproar on Vazaelle about this "unconfirmed" banker in Befallen duping plat.

I get that it has been many, many years, and I could be remembering things incorrectly.

But... there are some events in MMO history that I remember including:
    1. The day that the WoW Beta 4 server despawned all NPCs, and did not respawn them for over an hour. We all made gnomes, stripped down naked, and marched from Ironforge to Undercity (where we were slaughtered by Horde players). It was glorious.
    2. The day I received my physical copy of beta discs for Starwars Galaxies in the mail, and logging in to find out that it wasn't EverQuest in space.
    3. The last day of the WoW beta servers where they spawned raid mobs that marched to each of the capital cities killing everybody until eventually the servers shut down. Truly the coolest thing ever in MMO history.
    4. The day that I finally dinged level 50 on my Troll Warrior back in the day when it was max level on Vazaelle.
    5. The day I got my first epic.
    6. The day that Techno Destructo solo'd Lord Nagafen on the Vazaelle server (first ever Nagafen solo)
    7. The day that I realized that every single guild member I had brought to Vanguard's beta to join my guild had quit the game because it was so broke it was not playable. Left me with 15 Vangaurd beta accounts...
    8. The day that the CFO of Sigil Games called me an @sshat on the forums and banned my beta account just because I called his decision to support the sale of Vanguard to SoE short sighted. Of course, I had 15 other Vanguard beta accounts to use because of number 7 above.
    9. The day that I realized that I got my first epic in EverQuest 2.
    10. and.... the day that the servers went down because of a plat duping issue involving a banker in Befallen. I had always heard it was a disgruntled Dev....
    What you're saying is that my memory is a lie. I feel so let down by my brain for lying to me. ;)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. Prathun Developer

I watched the sun rise and set. I remember it vividly. A whole lot of people were there.
    Everyone in attendance agreed that it was Helios, the sun god, driving his chariot.

Wait, are you saying it wasn't Helios? Do you think I would forget?! I SAW IT HAPPEN. ;)
  20. snailish Augur

A dev having fun on the forums...

Love it.