I'm confused about bard songs and instruments

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Herf, May 19, 2020.

1. Herf Augur

I've lvl'd a bard up to 48 on Agnarr by just sort of learning as I go, but I'm at the point where there a few things I'm having trouble understanding:

- Instruments question: It seems that some songs require a specific instrument, while others just work better. Example: Sellos runs fast when dual wielding, but even faster when wielding a drum. However other songs simply won't work if you're not holding the correct type (wind, brass, etc.) instrument. Is there any way of looking at the spell icon or something to figure differentiate the two types of songs?

- haste stacking: My understanding is that one can have 1 item, 1 song, and 1 spell and the haste will stack. But I'm not seeing that in practice. When my bard duo's with my 65 monk, the monk is wearing a haste item, and casts the haste spell from the Eyepatch of Plunder item, and the bard in his group is running a haste song; but the monk is only seeing the benefit of the item + spell, not the song. I know there's a haste limit based on lvl, but I thought that just applied to the recipient of the songs; is my 65 monks haste capped because the bard isn't 50 yet?

- self only vs group songs: if I'm singing a self-only haste spell (
    Jonthan's Whistling Warsong
    ) and a a group haste spell (
    Vilia's Verses of Celerity
    ) does the higher lvl spell block the effects of the lower level spell? Should I be using the group only one?
  2. SleezerGeezer Elder

I have a Bard that's nearly 20th. His Stringed is still at 1 point, so I'm going to buy a Guild Lute and let him raise it. Maybe you need instrument to raise skill, but can use whatever your current skill level is without an instrument bit have zero chance of raising your skill that way.

I like the Bard, but I wish the keys wouldn't grey out when used.
  3. ibc93 Elder

Instruments question: The only thing the spell description will give you is what instrument it will be better modified with. Instrument required songs, you just gotta memorize them. I used to play on P99 so I got quite acquainted with them. Prior to lvl 51 selos+levi song, keeping up selos+levitate was a HUGE pain cause the levitate song required wind to be equipped. Have to manually twist song & manually swap instruments. It's why the epic 1.0 in Kunark & Instrument mod gear in PoP are huge. You never have to concern yourself with instr requirements again. I mainly swap to brass for the later damage shield v2 haste songs [only modifies DS, not the haste], stringed for extra hp regen [only modifies hp regen, not mana regen], and percussion for selos or occlusion resist debuff.

Haste Stacking: So haste cap is limited based upon your level. That is true. How haste works. You got V1 [Worn], V2 [Spell], & V3 [Overhaste]. V1+V2 can only get you to a 200% haste cap and V3 can push you over to a 225% cap.

Only the highest haste within each category takes effect. If you have a worn [v1] belt with 20% haste and a worn [v1] bracer with 40%. Only the bracer's effects would work for v1 haste. That would put you at 140% haste.

Then if you had a v2 bard song, enchanter, or shaman haste. Only the highest haste buff from that takes effect up to the first 200% cap. If you had a 20% bard haste competing with a 40% enchanter haste, only the enchanter haste would be added. 140% worn [v1] + 40% [v2]= 180% haste. If you had a 70% v2 haste, it would do this: 140% worn [v1] + 70% [v2] = hit 200% cap and not go over.

Then v3 can push you over the 200% cap to a limit of 225%. Vah shir, rizlona, & muse are bards v3. My bard's haste set up is like this: he gets 40% from his v1 worn belt + 60% v2 from warsong of vah shir + 25% v3 from call of the muse = 225%. So long as the melees in my group have a 40% worn item, I can get them to cap singlehandedly.

Come by on the stream Wednesday night and I can answer a lot of the questions live. I'm a main bard for life.
    Protius likes this.
  4. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Just change to a different class. They are the most annoying class in the entire game... no the entirety of gaming!

Lumenace and Herf like this.
  5. Wulfhere Augur

You are talking about SPA 11 (your V1 and V2) and 119 (your V3) specifically.

There is another stacking haste that bards got in the Velious era: SPA 98 - Bard Haste is one that stacks with SPA 11 to help reach/exceed the normal 200% cap. See:

[1449] Melody of Ervaj
    Classes: BRD/50
    1: Increase Melee Haste by 5% (v98)

[1452] Composition of Ervaj
    Classes: BRD/60
    1: Increase Melee Haste by 10% (v98)

Haste SPA:
    11 - Melee Speed (worn and spell haste)
    98 - Bard Haste (of Ervaj)
    119 - BardHaste2 (Vah Shir, Call of, Echo of)

SPA 98 is only maybe useful until Luclin. In Luclin, SPA 119 (Battlecry of the Vah Shir) is introduced at level 52. Later in PoR, SPA 119 was moved to bard Aura of Insight but Warsong of the Vah Shir has higher overhaste and so began the strategy of playing both Aura (and Warsong i.e. Aria).
  6. Craized Lorekeeper

Everquest bards are f***ing awesome .
  7. Rakete Lorekeeper

Just a few thoughts on instrument questions. I agree, I can't find a real rule, but some theor that might help to memorize stuff. Please note that these thoughts are focussed on era till Planes of Power.

• In most cases, an instrument is optional. In few cases, it's required.
    • Most Percussion and Stringed songs will not require an instrument to be performed.
    • Most songs that improve something (stats, resistances, attack speed, attack rating etc.) won't require an instrument to be performed.
    • With Wind and Brass songs, there's a high chance you'll require the respective instrument to perform them in general.
    • Songs that give you a specific ability will most likely require an instrument: Invis, Water Breathing, Levitate. (often wind based by the way).
    • Most target songs (mez, charm etc.) won't require an instrument to be performed.
    Herf likes this.
  8. Herf Augur

9. Herf Augur

10. Herf Augur