/ignore function

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Castrasi, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Castrasi Journeyman

Dear Powers That Be,

Please add an option to the ignore function which allows an entire account to be place on my ignore list. I ask for an option because, even though I can't imagine a reason for it not to be all inclusive, someone might want to have it the way it currently is.

Right now there is a ridiculous level of garbage being sent through gen chat. Race, country or religion of origin, gender, it matters not. The ebb and flood of topic choice is mind numbing. The folks that are trying so hard to spew this senseless drivel are wise to the fact they can simply make a new character and continue unabated.

Please note I did not ask for a ban, policing, or anything else that might resemble repercussions for the individuals I want to ignore wholesale.

Thanks for your time.

Cas
  2. Hostility Elder

At first glace. I love this idea
  3. Viper1 Augur

I don't think it's possible for EQ based on how the backend systems function. In short, your client would need to be given the account name associated with every message sent to general chat or any other chat for that matter. The EQ servers do not transmit that information as far as I know, thus your client program would never be able to filter messages in that fashion.

That said, if gen chat really bothers you that much, don't read it. Filter it to it's own chat window away from your important chats or don't join the channel. In all seriousness, EQ chat is very very tame compared to just about any other MMO.
  4. Castrasi Journeyman

I gain a good bit from reading gen chat. There are many things I've never experienced or considered, and often those things are discussed in gen chat. It also allows me to help others when I know something they don't. I play by myself most of the time, so group chat and guild chat don't exist.

So, closing the window, or minimizing it off to a corner isn't something I want to do. I'd rather just have the nonsense filtered out. My understanding is there is a limit to the number of people I can individually send to my ignore filter. Having one ignore make it all inclusive for that person's account would be helpful.

Again, I'm not looking to change anything for the folks I want to filter, aside from me seeing their chat. I know quite a few people enjoy that type of banter. I do not.

Lastly, I'd say me having to exclude a portion of the game I enjoy due to the level of annoyance others are purposely looking to achieve isn't a correct approach.
  5. Feradach Augur

Actually, it should be possible. All accounts have a unique PID associated with them that is visible by guides and GMs when they do a /who. That means that the client does have that information but it is just being hidden by default to the muggles.
  6. Faladern New Member

This would be awesome. I know the players on Drinal would love it. Hard to keep up with all the alts of a certain troll we have.
    Reht likes this.
  7. Viper1 Augur

Oh if only we could do this in normal day to day life. Yeah, not gonna happen.

Don't feed trolls, people. This is internet 101. If you're letting internet trolls get the best of you, you have only yourself to blame.
    Tatanka likes this.
  8. Viper1 Augur

/who generates a discrete request sent to the sever for said information. Making that server-client request EVERY SINGLE TIME a chat message is received is a whole other deal.
  9. Sindaiann Augur

Totally agree. Tired of /ignoring 18 bazillion toons that are created just to join Drinal General and troll, as well as the cross server ones.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Minimize the Gen chat window, and just open it when you have a question. That's what I do.

Or, if you want, filter it, or send to a minimized window, and then, if you really don't want to miss anything, use something like GamParse, and select only the lines from General. Then you can (offline even) see what tips and tidbits you might have missed.

Tat
  11. YellowBelly Augur

I do find it perplexing how the most maladjusted members of society seem to gravitate to mmo general chat rooms. I compare it to the mentally ill individual rambling on the street corner looking for an audience. If they can't find one there a chat room with a near fixed population is ideal. I would be happy with a /kick voting system to be honest. Although the idea is years too late and by now the general chat sewage has completely taken over.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

FTFY.

Tat
    Nolrog likes this.
  13. Vrinda Augur

Agreed, you would not want to send a separate request each time a chat message is received. The PID information is in the database already, though, so sending it (with perhaps a show/hide option?) along with the original message shouldn't be a difficult change to make.

Viper1 [PID 123456] tells general, "I'll explain how to accomplish that task."

If you don't like what PID 123456 has to say, you should be able to /ignore him based on the PID. That said, it won't stop "George" from creating any number of F2P accounts and hitting you with chat/tells from the new level 1 on one of those accounts. It would clean up your /ignore list, though.

Or you could just do as suggested previously in this thread and not join general chat. The last time I was there it was a sewer. Looks like that hasn't changed.