If you're thinking of restarting

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Silver-Crow, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Sakuraba Augur

But don't mercs kinda kill the whole point of TLP? The part about playing with actual players instead of having to deal with bot armies and their equivalent army of mercs? lol.
  2. Silver-Crow Augur

Hi Sakuraba, yes in some respects, but no in others. I would tend to class mercs differently to boxes. You don't have to level or gear mercs, so they're instantly droppable and it's no big thing. With a box group, boxers tend to want to keep their boxes around to get xp.

For me mercs are useful for filling gaps in groups your forming, and mostly everyone I know would prefer a human player over a merc, and have no trouble dropping the merc to let you join.

so similar but different :)
  3. Sakuraba Augur

Fair point lol.
  4. Silver-Crow Augur

With the new rulesets out for the new servers, here're my thoughts.

Selo's - This is a server of contradictions. On the one hand, it's super hard core if you want to raid. Trying to keep up with one month unlocks will turn you into a recluse, and not do wonders for your health. On the other hand if you have no interest in raiding for now, it's pretty awesome. With increased XP, increased named spawn it's easy to keep up with the group content, and keep yourself reasonably group geared. On top of that with AA autogrant it stays pretty casual. Once you get near live, raid gear becomes more relevant as it's not obsolete every 4 weeks, so this server is quite attractive to both super hard core raiders and ultra casuals.

Manglar - This seems to be just Phinny 3.0 with faster xp. A lot of people seem to be heading to here, but is this anything new?. Phinny already has live xp rates, so I question if manglar will be getting regular bumps to xp rates at the relevant points in the expansion. I expect it to be a success at release, but will it survive the next TLP release.

Agnarr - I think this server will always have a niche playerbase, but I think player numbers will steadily decline, as any new blood will likely go to one of the other servers.

Coirnav - The server looks good for now, but I expect this to die pretty rapidly once manglar hits. Why play on Phinny 2.0 with slow xp, when you can play on Phinny 3.0 with fast xp.

Phinny - I think it's been covered in this thread.

For me it comes down to what are you looking for in your EQ experience.

Selo's is a good fresh start if you fall into one of 2 categories.
    1. South Park WOW style raiding.
    2. Have no interest in raiding and just want to play the group game till the server catches up with live.

Manglar is a good fresh start if you're looking for more casual raiding than selo's, and you can face doing the old content once again.

Phinny is much quieter than the newer servers, but mercs are available and the raid scene is still going strong.

Coirnav I suspect will decline without a big bump to xp rates
    Agnarr - well you know what you're signing up for.

It will certainly be interesting what happens on march 16th,
  5. internalprime8 Journeyman

I had considered joining one of the new servers and Phinny was originally just going to be my splash back into EQ before then but Selo's 4 week unlocks kind of ruin it for me and Mangler's doesn't seem any different than what I'm already experiencing on Phinny so I'm just going to stick around here. I'm enjoying the leveling up experience with a merc in Crescent Reach which I had never done before and I wouldn't want to start over now with little incentive.
  6. Shuffle New Member

So is for a casual player that wants to have a guild experanice and make friends is Phinny still the way to go or should I hope on the Selo band wagon?

returning player from PoP days.
  7. internalprime8 Journeyman

You will probably find more people to play with initially on one of the new TLP servers simply because you will be joining them at the start but I've been on Phinny now for about 2 weeks and had nothing but good experiences. I see a handful of people in all of the Crescent Reach zones I have played in although I've done nothing but molo so far. I'm at level 40 now and still going strong but I can't speak to the remaining levels up to the current Phinny cap of 85.
  8. Lakeland Lorekeeper

Yes they kill it. No real other way to say it. On any TLP that has mercs you will have issues finding groups at lower levels because tank mercs simply makes the game trivial. No reason to group so most don’t.
  9. Silver-Crow Augur

Actually there is a point in grouping at all levels. Soloing has an xp penalty on Phinny whereas grouping has a bonus. Yes you can molo quite effectively but if you can group up with a few others, xp will fly.
  10. Lakeland Lorekeeper

This very well can be true, my “no reason to group” comment was more about the pros and cons though. Groups at lower levels aren’t easy to find, at least in my experience, and when you do you have people to deal with. People getting to you, people going AFK, people that might not play well etc etc etc. That’s all not horrible but when you can just grab a tank merc and literally solo without issue or downtime.

I’m not saying don’t group, I’m saying people generally take the path of least resistance and mercs are that path. That’s why I love that the new server won’t have them at launch. Just my opinion and what I have personally seen and experienced.
  11. Xilriz Sathir New Member

I never used to really believe this that tank mercs were that OP at lower levels, but i started a toon on phinny and my j1 tank merc was constantly and consistently killing mobs that were 10-12 levels higher without even losing heath that's not to say it didn't take FOREVER to kill said mob, but still that mitigation though. From everything i've seen and read, it's like they need to somehow swap the lower level tank mercs with the higher level tank mercs, cuz at 75+ tank mercs are like tissue paper, i went back to pet tanking and a healer merc and my own supplemental healing and I do alot better.
    Lakeland likes this.
  12. Phrolic New Member

Can I transfer a toon thats under level 85 (with items, but no plat) from FV to this server?
  13. Silver-Crow Augur

No, I don't believe that any characters can be transferred from FV to any server.
    I also don't think transfers to any TLP are allowed from any server.

To be honest, xp Is that fast on Phinny now, and with mercs you can be easily max level with 1000+ autogranted aa's within a week of casual play.
  14. Justic72482 New Member

I was sitting here on lunch break contemplating my return to eq. I wanted a fresh start and I did not want to do TLP or FV. This post has convinced me. I will start fresh on Phin! Thanks all for the input here!