If you play on one of the new time locked servers, which class will be your main?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by SleezerGeezer, May 20, 2020.

1. sumnayin2 Augur

People will try to argue this, but Druids are so mediocre in groups. Now, a good druid is fine, I pulled in places like Unrest with Harmony many times, but the nukes are so inefficient and if there is a mage in the group(usually is) you aren't needed for your DS. Basically, if your group is pulling fast, killing fast, you won't even be landing a nuke on every mob, and the nuke you land once every 2-3 mobs will do 10% of their hp. Or, you can go the route of using DoTs that tick 3 times every other mob.

That said, obviously you have a lot of utility and can make money the first 3 expansions. Also, your epic is extremely easy if your guild is killing Faydedar.
  2. Hoteke New Member

Sounds about right, and per design I think. It all depends on the group composition though and as you said the type of content. Mileage can vary in day to day play on a server over looking at classes individually and on paper. The druid shines in the odd ball group setups, or in the steamrolling groups where the cleric is watching Netflix out of boredom, a druid might have been the wiser choice for example.

I have played as a main druid on two TLP servers, and never had any issues from Classic to well beyond PoP. It is the more tougher road LFG wise, especially the stigma, but it's a damn rewarding class if you like the challenge, versatility and prove reluctant groups wrong on occasion.
  3. Leifer Augur

This is just my opinion and I know it doesn't apply to everyone - but if you are looking at getting into PUG's, I would avoid Mag/Wiz/Nec/Dru simply because those four classes get a reputation for sitting/AFKing/not synergizing with the group - and simply lacking the skills for group play (of course not all of them). Classes that solo well are usually doing a lot of that - and going AFK with < 20% mana seems to be pretty standard practice for these go-it-alone classes. They develop that reputation and are not often picked for groups given the choice of a class that "has" to play in groups to succeed.
  4. Grimaldus No pity. No remorse. No fear

Wrestling with this choice right now actually; SK or Warrior. Troll or Ogre.
    Mained a Troll SK many years ago, and loved it, but something about Ogre Warrior is really appealing.

:choices:
    Barton likes this.
  5. Wordor Journeyman

Half the server's plate wearers will be ogre =( ………. I think double Troll sk/sham sound fun. I will be lvling this combo when I want a break from ench/clr
    Grimaldus likes this.
  6. Ultrazen Augur

I'd main a bard in a heartbeat if they didn't fall off a cliff once the hole opened. Up through lower guk bard was the most fun main I've ever had on a TLP.

Monk would be the other no brainer if I could start as a liz. The second Kunark opens up that will surely be my choice, can add Necro to that as well for the same reason.

So with those three out of the way....something that isn't too gear dependent as a first on the server class leaves Druid, Chanter, Wiz, Mage.

1. Wiz: Boring as sin to play, pretty crappy the first couple expansions.
    2. Druid: Highly under rated and great in the right group. Also a great starter class, can make money easily, can solo a bit if you have to, mana issues in classic due to crap gear can be a problem.
    3. Mage: If I was going to 2 box it would be mage/druid or chanter/druid, but solo...eh, a bit boring.
    4. Chanter: Really really hard to pass up chanter. Always fun in groups, always busy, great class through PoP. Also a great first class on a server.

Hard to get around chanter as a first character. Druid is the only thing that's really going to be tough to turn down. Snare, run speed, ports, roots, dots, heals, damage shields....such a great class.
  7. error Augur

Mages really don't have a hard time getting groups ever, and especially not at server launch when melee dps are basically naked.
  8. sumnayin2 Augur

Never seen this and I played EQ from 1999-2003 and 2017-2020. Not once. Just my experience in 7ish years of EQ.
    Tuco likes this.
  9. Haze Journeyman

Trying to decide between Rogue, Ranger and Shadowknight. Human-Male-Eyepatch Chad Rogue is the current frontrunner.
  10. Hoteke New Member

Your opinion is a bit of a stretch tbh. I don't think the probability of going AFK group is tailored to the ability to solo or not. On the one hand the classes you're mentioning are among the popular newbie classes so increases chance perhaps to meet an inexperienced player. And the classes such as Mage and Wiz are a bit more monotonous and given the mana regen and less critical role such as tanking, pulling of healing (where going AFK is visible right away), temptation to go AFK are more frequent.

I have been playing on all TLP servers since start and I have yet to recall one occasion where someone in group said "OMG don't take the Wiz, Mage or Necro" they are going to AFK. Having said this, we all know the true king of AFK is the Mage, but the player get's the benefit of the doubt in my book.
  11. Hoteke New Member

A rare race selection on a rare class selection. Not bad sir. Hang on tight till Kunark hits, our time will come.
  12. Protagonist Tank

Nothing what-so-ever. People just 1) Misunderstand mechanics and think hitpoints are the tank stat or 2) Want to play a War once defensive comes out and want to level it now rather than later.
  13. Overcast451 Augur

The regen is nice on the troll but then the Ogre gets the frontal stun immunity, which can be quite beneficial. That's always been a tough choice for me as well.

If I really wanted to min/max, I think I would go Ogre though. The regen is nice, but not terribly significant once you are leveled up some.

According to this - https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/Racial_Regeneration

Standing regen on the troll would be 11 points more per tick. One good stun and a failure to defend, might cost many more times that later on. But then that regen helps a bunch out of the gate, I think.

Both exceptional tanks :)

Warrior vs. SK.. SK is the most versatile of tanks and can even solo in some niches pretty decently. My time soloing a Warrior was painful. But then the warrior has a lot of weapon choices, mitigate incoming damage better than any class, and will be the 'go to' tank for the big stuff most all of the time.
  14. Machen New Member

I'm playing warrior. I am planning to play for the long haul, warrior all the way through. I won't be tanking much in classic, can't hold aggro and as a raid leader I'll have the knights do most or all of the tanking. But I don't want to have to main change in Kunark, I want to start on the character that will be my main for the entirety of the server. Classic's just 12 weeks long.
    Grimaldus and Tuco like this.
  15. SleezerGeezer Elder

I leveled up a Rogue on a progression server, and I can vouch for sneaking being a supremely fun experience in the classic zones, especially MM. So many trains, avoided, so many trains.

I'm going to play Gnome Mage as my main. There are just too many advantages to ignore.
  16. SleezerGeezer Elder

If you are playing Ogre, where are you allocating your starting stats?
  17. Bailen Augur

I like the versatility of the Shaman, so will probably go that direction if I roll a character on Aradune.
    Grimaldus likes this.
  18. Haze Journeyman

Looking forward to it. Honestly going to be an illusion mask-collecting extravaganza. Ogre Rogue incoming.

Which stabbyboi race are you rolling?
  19. Ishbu Augur

This struck me as interesting. Choosing a class/race combo for the advantages makes sense, but if thats part of the choice, how did you arrive on gnome for a mage? Mages dont need the gnome look thing and Ak'anon is arguably the most useless origin point. At least Halas has Vox nearby.
  20. Sultrina New Member

May be a bit surprising, but from my experience with a couple TLPs, tanks are in short supply compared to other classes needed for a good group. I would vote for SK unless you want to be a raid tank.