If you have windows 10 and are lagging...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by AlmarsGuides, Sep 22, 2016.

1. AlmarsGuides Augur

For those of you out there who have noticed a massive drop in FPS over the last few days and are befuddled about what can be causing it, let me help!

I have a few computers and I noticed the ones that are running windows 10 got an insane drop in FPS on the 21st - 22nd windows update. If you're running windows 10 and have noticed a similar massive drop in FPS uninstall the most recent windows update and try again. Easiest way to do it is system restore imho or you can boot up into safe mode and do it thata way.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+safe+mode&oq=windows+10+safe+mode&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2123j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

My windows 7 and 8 machines are running EQ fine. The only machines of mine that experienced any difficulties are windows 10 and it was after the most recent updates. Pretty much what happened is the update doubled how many resources EQ used to run and I have no idea why.

Hope this helps someone out there!
    Gyurika Godofwar and Narogg like this.
  2. Ssauleron New Member

Thanks Almars!

I uninstalled the two most recent non-security related updates in windows and I can confirm this resolved my FPS/Lag issues with my Windows 10 machine.
  3. Heile Lorekeeper

Thanks Almars!

Just want to add to this that i too had dropped FPS after the windows 10 anni update. What I did was just restored my comp to the previous build on windows 10 and everything went back to normal.
  4. Adonhiram Augur

Yes, thanks Almar, that is really helpful :)

Care to give us the reference of the update we should avoid on Windows 10 ? Last one I got was September 16th and was the KB3189866 one. But Windows updates are not anymore released everywhere at the same date, so the date is not the best reference anymore. Did you wrote it down by chance before uninstalling or can you find which one you uninstalled in your history ?
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Curious to ask how rebooting in safe mode fixed this for anyone?

Just an FYI I am completely up to date on windows 10 updates running three different versions (anniversary, professional and hoime) and have had no problems at all with any of my eq machines.

I am guessing its a combo of windows 10 and perhaps certain hardware causing the issue.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Schadenfreude Augur

Or the use of certain third party software. Zero issues on 3 machines going from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 here too.
    complexication likes this.
  7. Geroblue Augur

I don't see how either, except not all drivers are loaded in safe mode.

My Win8.1 laptop has been getting lag in game and in here. In here is due to something on this site still linking to soe.com.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  8. AlmarsGuides Augur

Booting up in safe mode will allow you to uninstall the updates (or at least that's what google said) I just system restored but I posted a link to that incase anyone wanted to take that route.

I'm sure those out there who don't box wouldn't lag even if EQ's processes quadrupled. I was able to run 12 on my machine each taking up 5% processing power after the windows 10 update versus the 1% processing power they took up prior to the windows 10 update.

If you're not a boxer (or don't box many), you probably won't notice a change at all but that doesn't mean it isn't there!

Just trying to help other players Mr. grumpy pants <3
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3193494 may also cause some issues. Same patch, re-released due to network issues with the above mentioned patch. I don't have issues, but on the Grummus raid I definitely had some lag. My laptop is over the top powerful for EQ, so I haven't noticed it until then.

3185848 MS16-106: Security update for Microsoft Graphics Component: September 13, 2016 <- I imagine this is the issue here.
  10. Narogg Augur

Smokezz is on point. I bought into the AMD APU on chip R7 Video card and I thought that was going to be great. I experienced random lock ups and reboots due to the Radeon Crimson Edition Graphics Driver. It would only lock up while playing music... oddly enough. So it took me a long time to figure out it was the video card driver.

So i plugged in my old video card Radeon HD 6570 which technically is not supported by WIndows 10. I installed the legacy catalyst drivers.

All my crashes went away and the machine worked better.

On Sept 13, the windows 10 update dumped my video drivers leaving me with Microsoft standard display driver.

I had to roll back the driver to get the machine to work again with the old card.

Part of the sept 13 update was a fresh install of currently supported video drivers.

If you are running the AMD APU's you got the crappy crimson driver installed via auto update.

Wait for the crashes!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I dont run 12 sessions on any of my computers but at various times each has 2 to 5 sessions on each with no lagging.

Edit: Oops I lied only have one machine on atm and it has 7 sessions no lag. ( just getting sarnak illusions atm) This iused to be a win 7 pro machine upgraded to win 10 if that helps.
  12. Lethargica New Member

Almar this is totally off topic but I am a fan of your DoN progression page. As it happens I have been using it the last week in game and I have encountered a Bug which I have submitted a ticket for AND posted in the player support thread. The bug is this:
    After reaching indiff and hailing Zaerr for the charactor flag and after cliking the keyword "help" I went to Officer Zirrikis which Zaerr tells you to do for the next tier 2 quests. Zirrikis gives you the option of 3 quests upon hailing him. Well I wasn't ready to choose a quest at the time so I closed the quest window. I did this on 2 different charactors I was boxing together.Well upon hailing him again to choose a quest bam! nothing comes up except his dialogue when I hail him. I logged both my toons out to charactor select. One toon I logged out with just camped out and the one that I cliked disband on before he camped out got logged back in with a loss of indiff and he is now dubious again even though he recieved the charactor flag. After logging both back in they still cannot get him to give the quests. Any help would be appreciated and thank you
  13. Smokezz The Bane Crew

There is a new update this week, that should resolve the Windows 10 lag issues.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496)
  14. Narogg Augur

Smokezz that MS patch fixed 90 percent of my issues with the 1060 GTX card i just bought. Great info thank you.
  15. Narogg Augur

I have tried 3 Video cards over the past week with windows 10 version 1607 and that new patch installed that Smokezz posted about
    Machine 1 Desktop
    Per instance of memory used. 1.4 Gig
    Driver version: 372.90
    Geforce 1060 GTX - Buff pile in pok - 10 FPS
    Geforce 750 GTX - buff pile in pok - 8 FPS

Machine 2 - Laptop
    Driver version: 15.201.1101.0
    Per instance of memory used. 1.4 Gig
    AMD A10 with ATI G6- Buff Pile in pok - 4 FPS

Since the buff pile in pok is a gathering of alot of players.. this FPS reading can be what is expected on a raid when you and your guild are hard at it.

None of these cards are playable in a raid situation right now.

It is of great concern that EQ is not even a supported game any longer for Nvidia as you can see here .http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/supported-games

How i test.
    Memory usage:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

FPS
    http://www.fraps.com/download.php

I am curious to see what others running windows 10 are seeing
  16. Your_Ad_Here Augur

This is interesting as around that time my dad updated his AMD witn Win 10, as what you described happened to him. He was unable to play WoW with this update. We'll be careful in the future.
  17. Narogg Augur

Running a test on a Windows 10 1511 Build AMD FX series processor and a ATI 3000 integrated card today . I will have numbers soon as EQ finishes installing.
  18. Cactuszach Elder

Time to run 2 1080 founders editions in SLI for max raid fps!
  19. Narogg Augur

Machine 3 Desktop
    windows 10 version 1511
    Per instance of memory used. 1.2 Gig
    Driver version: ATI 8.970.100.9001
    ATI 3000 built in video- Buff pile in pok- 20 FPS

TOTALY Playable

Everything is pointing to the 1607 windows patch being the issue.
  20. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Here I am with my 750Ti 2GB and Windows 7 with no lag issues. I am glad I didn't shell out $500+ for that 1060-1080 series card when it really isn't that big of a performance boost day to day on most games. I paid $50 for my 750ti.