If Yelinak fails, at least they will know why.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by GRACUS, Apr 29, 2022.

1. wade_watts Augur

They released a version of EQ that people loved beyond their expectations. They lucked into some minor tweaks that drastically changed the excitement of the server in a great way. Saying that they should not re-release a very popular and fun ruleset just because it was "a one-off" doesn't make sense. Why would they not release servers that people would really enjoy playing on? Mischief was free trade, random loot, and loot pinata. They should keep tweaking this setup because its amazing and soooo many people enjoyed it tremendously.

If they were to iterate on it, they should turn down the amount of loot - 2x is great, 10x is too much. They could also consider increasing the randomness. Adding some level-appropriate randomness across all mobs, like an exceedingly low chance for all mobs to drop 'named' items would make grinding more exciting.

We know the game is 23 years old now but some of these minor tweaks like randomness really add a totally new and exciting dynamic.
    Torga likes this.
  2. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Yelinak will not fail
  3. Kahna Augur

Were the raids ever hard? I have played on Phinny, Agnarr, Coirnav, Aradune, and now Mischief, through PoP and no guild I was with on any of those servers ever struggled with any of the content. It was all easy. They were all just middle tier guilds too, nothing cutting edge or zergy.
    Xanathol likes this.
  4. Legends Elder

Lots of people in this very post disagree.

Free Loot > Random loot > Bonus loot
  5. Rounlin Best Pizza in Norrath!

Not everyone likes free trade and random loot lol
    Dragon Jockey likes this.
  6. Torga Journeyman

True, but there seems to be a big voice for it. I think Mischief changed the minds of some these OG players.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

1: "If Yelinak fails, at least they will know why. Most likely because"

[IMG]

2: "Free Trade makes servers super popular"

Brekt.

3: "The Free Trade Ruleset is not as small as you think it is"

0.95 or less TLP @ GoD right now

No thinking required
  8. Torga Journeyman

Brekt started in what expansion? OoW right? the economy was doomed because it wasn't allowed to mature like Muschief and Thornblade. That is why Brekt failed. It wasn't because of the free trade loot aspect like you think it was Skuz.
    wade_watts and Legends like this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I did not & never have said it failed because of Free Trade.

It failed despite having it, ergo Free Trade is not a golden fleece, ergo the argument Yelinak will, or might fail because it does not is completely ridiculous.
    Zrender and Dragon Jockey like this.
  10. JustAnotherOpinion Augur

Yelinak will be great just like my medium-rare steak is great with just salt and olive oil. I don't want to see ketchup or BBQ sauce anywhere near my iron enriched server. Maybe I will enjoy a little peppercorn or sauteed onions on it next year.
    Dragon Jockey, Starshape and Skuz like this.
  11. Torga Journeyman

I agree with you there if the OP is suggesting that Yelinak will fail because of not having free trade. But is he suggesting that, or is that your impression? The way I read it, was the attrition of the recycle.
  12. Haak Augur

The fondness for Mischief is also deeply rooted in it's unique spin on an old formula. If they start forcing that ruleset down our throats year-after-year, in short order it would be just as played out as standard TLPs feel now. Lest we not forget, once upon a time the concept of a TLP itself was incredibly novel, and the reason we've seen so many up until this point is because the thought of just playing through the old expansions was innovative and drew a crowd.

If you want to extend the lifespan, hype, and profitability of something you don't over-saturated your consumers with it. You offer it frequently enough to satiate the customer, but not so much that they get bored of it. If they're wise, we'll see a Mischief clone every 2-3 years, if not longer. Rotating through a series of different rulesets will keep all of them feeling fresh-ish by the time each arrives.
  13. Tweakfour17 Augur

After reading this thread and a couple others like it I get the feeling that regardless of how well Yelinak does or does not do some people will claim its still a failure. Oh? Only 27 guilds? ha! deadserver! No queues 2 weeks after launch? RIP. Some people just want to be negative about everything.
  14. Zrender Augur

What's with all these people that think anyone in their right mind would leave Mischief to farm krono? I can't imagine ANY serious krono farmers leaving Mischief. Krono farmers are WELCOME on Mischief. Nobody even cares, no, actually I felt like they were appreciated there, and they make killer krono there for minimal effort. They have fully geared raid force boxes and dozens of DZs to farm and the piñata loot drops like snowflakes in January then sells EASILY ON BAZ for great prices and no SLR headaches. Furthermore, as long as dpg doesn't release another FT ruleset server, Mischief will remain heavily populated. It boggles the mind that people think Yeli or Vani will be mass krono farmers. A few? Sure, of course, people are going to farm on toons they are playing and guilds will have extra to SLR on occasion, but mass, no, no way. Ok, I have to stop reading. I'm fully boggled at the moment. I need to sit down, oh I am sitting, see, boggled. :confused::eek::D
    JustAnotherOpinion likes this.
  15. Mescar Lorekeeper

Brekt failed because of promises broken. It was to be the dumping server of the 'yearly' season servers. However after their first seasonal server, they never put out another. I was one of the few who did play on Brekt before the merge and it was a nice server. People got along, but it was a ghost town waiting. They just kept pumping out TLPs every year but never another seasonal one. Without the xp boost that FV had, why would anyone start on Brekt when FV was set up better? Hence the downfall of the server.
    Stymie and Skuz like this.
  16. FranktheBank Augur

More like, all these people dont understand that the true farmers do not care about ruleset, truebox, unlock speed, literally anything. They are automating their groups which makes it entirely irrelevant.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Good post.

It's like eating steak every day, the same way, eventually, no matter how amazing it is, you will get bored of it.
    Haak likes this.
  18. toasty4800 Elder

Of course not, there will always be at least one person playing there.
  19. Ginix Augur

Nice, so PvP TLP when?
  20. wade_watts Augur

The variable you are missing is that raid loot on Mischief is so plentiful that it is nearly worthless. For those that make a business of selling Krono, they are still capable of getting the items people desire w/out the Mischief ruleset - and the value of those items are significantly higher outside of Mischief. Essentially, Mischief democratized the ability to be a "krono farmer" - since everyone was able to make some krono by selling their old raid gear.
    The few actual krono farmers can likely make much more on a new TLP regardless of free trade status.