If we are being forced to rotate...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Mabbu-EQ, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Mabbu-EQ Elder

Raid mobs spawn timers were changed recently to provide for a quicker re-spawn with a wider variance. If we are being forced to rotate mobs the need for a large re-spawn variance is no longer required. Please remove the large variance in favor or a shorter variance so that guilds may plan ahead for a more predictable spawn timer.

If you're taking the competition out of raiding then a re-spawn variance serves no function.
  2. MaestroM Augur

Agreed.

Variance is a really bad idea anyways (see P99). With rotations variance serves NO purpose.
  3. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

Agreed
  4. lalaloup Augur

At this point, whatever works with the least involvement of DBG would be excellent.
  5. Marthisdil Augur

That would be instancing/expedition/whatever but they're too lazy to do that
    Drexll likes this.
  6. lolly Elder

I disagree.
    If you know that a mob wil pop in say five hours time, then you all turn up in four hours fifty minutes, buff up, take positions and engage it the moment it pops.
    Where's the mystery in that? Where's the fun? You are taking away from the game it's very soul!
    And I know a lot ( most!?) mobs in the game have a set repop time after death. And I've always thought that was stupid.

The game needs more unpredictability, more scariness , not less.
    Drexll and blueblazer like this.
  7. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

The mobs already had a variance before they changed it (+- 6 hours I believe?). Now the variance is just much wider wich just leads to people sitting in sol B for 12 hours at a time.
  8. MaestroM Augur

I'm going to disagree with you, not because I think you're wrong, but because you and I have different ideas about what makes this game fun.

You get a rush from seeing a target pop when you're not really ready and rushing to get it. I'm happy for you.

I get a rush only from engaging in the targets. I get no utility whatsoever in watching someone else kill a target that they got to before my guild could log in. I get no utility whatsoever in taking out a target before someone else can get there.

There is simply no reason (other than some people like to race, which won't be happening anymore) to keep variance in.
    Elkay likes this.
  9. lalaloup Augur

Even if they started on it weeks ago it still wouldn't be in a ready to roll out state for a while, possibly too late. Each change and announcement they've been implementing causes a cascade of complaints; being hands off causes complaints, going hands on causes complaints.

As a general rule I always side with devs over players, but neither group is easy to sympathize with here.
  10. Tubben Elder

Well, from my point of view, being an european, i think it's nice if an mob can spawn in my timezone also :)
  11. MaestroM Augur

If you poke over to the raid rotation thread, I suggested instead of timer that starts when the target spawns, a deadline by which the target must be killed.

Could speed up targets and say that each guild gets a day. Monday is guild A, tuesday is guild B. Timer ends at 1AM EST.

So if the target spawns at noon monday, You get till 1AM tuesday morning to kill the target. Gives each guild much more room to wiggle and, with increased spawn timers, doesn't decrease the number of targets.
  12. Steampunk Augur

Remove the word "if" from the title of this topic.
  13. Sebbun Augur

Yup, has never been anything more than hurt feelings and heart ache for guilds I've been in. I'm glad someone has gotten enjoyment out of it, but I suspect that number is low. They've instanced everything since GoD. I feel like it's fostered more of a competition versus the environment rather than the players.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  14. chris_the_mage Augur

I agree completely with mabbu on this, or at least make the variance windows significantly smaller

-Yawgmoth
  15. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

So the variance should be changed due to the upcoming rotation? Given the less that successful track record of rotations on Fippy, including the GM enforced ones, surely it needs to be confirmed that the rotation is even working before they consider changing the variance?
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  16. Machen New Member

What's not to work? I mean, so far none of the major guilds have posted a proposal in any way similar to any of the other guilds' proposals, I don't see what could go wrong.
    Genoane, Rhiyannon and Mezrah like this.
  17. Maltheus Elder

The first step will be refusing to rotate for the server and instead forcing the server to rotate around you.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  18. EQ1999 Elder

Why not just join the TLP server during GoD then?

We came here to race. Once GoD come you won't see us moaning that they need to un-instance raid targets because that isn't the EverQuest we signed up for.

Like it or not, this is how the game was originally played. Just because they CAN instance it doesn't mean it should be that way just because you don't like zero-sum raiding. Yes, some guilds have the vast majority of the raid loot on the server. It was that way in 1999 when certain guilds had more hardcore raiders than others.

Why does it need to be different now?
  19. Elkay Augur

Most that like the race won't complain, they'll just leave. Yeah, that keeps a healthy server population, right?

You guys should be asking for more contested content to be added post-PoP, if that's what you guys enjoy and keeps you playing. DBG has already shown that they're willing to make changes to the TLPs to help keep the customer base happy.

Asking for something that will keep a large portion of the population happy isn't a bad thing.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  20. Druz Augur

My server had rotations, not races. So from the view through my rose-colored glasses I have been wondering why the game has to be played like it has for the last month and a half (Toxic [Word I wanted to use here was censored, so 12-24 hour camps], DPS races, training, open hostility). I don't know what classic server you played on where it was like this, but it wasn't my experience at all.

We had 1.5 months of play the way you wanted, now lets give the other half (or realistically 99%) of the server a taste of the way they want to play.
    Rhiyannon and Sebbun like this.