Ideas to reduce lag and things blocking you (PoK especially)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rexa, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

After spending almost my whole life lately in Plane of Knowledge to raise my tradeskills, it dawned upon me that maybe there can be some useful toggle features to reduce blockheads from blocking people with mounts in the banks as well as blocking people from accessing tradeskill areas and NPCs. I really hate being pinned up against Jeweler Nonny inside the small bank thanks to someone's pressing need to stay mounted on their hideous heroic jungle raptor (seriously?).

With that being said, I have the following suggestions:

1. Can we get an option to hide pets completely? There is only the option to hide AFK player's pets, but not everyone is AFK and not everyone who is AFK has it enabled to auto-AFK.

2. Disable mounts in PoK and Guild Lobby? This probably sounds like the easiest thing to implement.

3. Option to hide other players mounts? Heck, if there's an option to just hide non-AFK PCs altogether that would be lovely.

I'm sure something here can be worked out....

I know this is an ancient game with ancient coding and asking to auto-dismount players from entering structures (like in newer games) is very highly not feasible already.
    Sirene_Fippy and Nennius like this.
  2. Cloud the Third Augur

You can disable mounts yourself easy. Just turn on old models and the mounts will not show up. Your mount will show up even if you have your own race's old school model turned on.
  3. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

Yes, that is true, and I forgot about that. I honestly don't lag anywhere in general except on PoK TS combines (auto-combines don't go very far as we all know).I can play with max settings on a full raid with no problem, so I like keeping all my models on. Would be nice to still offer options to situationally shut more specific things off though on the fly (ie: PoK) rather than models which would force you to re-zone. And more importantly, people blocking access areas whether mounted or not, and not having to keep accidentally hitting trade on someone's pet in tight quarters.

Maybe for others it might not matter much on some low population servers, but on Cazic Thule it sure can make things smoother instead of attempting to navigate around someone with 3 Ogur mules crowding the banker and just standing there.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I'd like a way to hide all PCs. Right now, our raid has to have everyone turn on AFK and those who want to hide players turn on Hide AFK players. This works but then it means everyone has to turn on AFK and anyone trying to chat with you gets the AFK message and you also can't indicate when you are actually AFK.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Conq Augur

I just login my shaman box and click the shrink AAx2 on everyone in and around the small bank.
    Conq
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

When I die I go to guild lobby and summon my corpse. Upon doing so I have ZERO mana etc. I can sit in guild lobby for another 30 minutes and wait for my stats to regain full bars or I can pop my mount and be up to snuff in about 4 minutes and then get back to that mob or whatever I was doing when I died. Mounts help you regain stats. Lobby has ports in and out as does POK allowing players to quickly get here and there.

Once again if I am in POK and working on a tradeskill that uses mana then I will have my mount up to help regain mana.

And yet there are tons of cities in Everquest with full tradeskill NPC's and vessels needed to do the combines that no one goes to. Why? Because POK is convenient and its pretty much the only tradeskill zone newer players use. I prefer AB Sea. Its usually empty and makes it very easy to move around.

Sometimes one needs to look at both sides of the coin - If mounts were disabled upon entering or being in lobby then we would all spend hours regenerating there or be forced to go back to those nasty mana pools we used to use in the guild hall - you know those ones everyone sat around in together?

The devs attempt to make the game playable by all and we are given lots of alternative options if we look harder.
    Yinla likes this.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

Ah, yes...the "Just Make Them All Go Away!" button. I would pay for that feature. :D
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Most use PoK as it is quick and easy to get anywhere should a group start up that they want to join, also buffs don't count down, so if you are buffed from previous groups you don't lose them as you would other zones.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I remember back in the day before hide AFK players was a thing. One of the top guilds used to always have AFK messages that told you to talk to someone else, you'd send them a tell which would tell you to talk to someone else.....everyone you sent a tell to told you to talk to someone else, not sure how long the chain was. :)
    Fanra likes this.